bad performance..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: bad performance.. Reply with quote

I get bad performance with gentoo. When im playin Quake3 my processor load is at 95-100% and my fps at 30-40 running "fastest" conf. When Im compiling I am almost always up at 100% load. DMA is enabled. Ive got an tbird@1400 with 512mb RAM so it shouldnt be like that.. Ive seen pretty many posts around these forums with folks complaining about performance and almost everyone has been running VIA-based systems vith amd processors. It would be interesting to hear of VIA guys that have it working good. And also which settings u guys have =)

Im running vanilla right now. I have also tried with gentoo-sources.

I really like gentoo but with this performance, Winblows beats it. Gotta sort this out =)
Please help me!!

http://nizzy.hn.org/help/dmesg.txt
http://nizzy.hn.org/help/make.txt
http://nizzy.hn.org/help/config.txt
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What graphics card do you have ? I have had a voodoo3 which performed as in windows and now I have an nvidia GeForce3 Ti 200 which performs similar to windows too. My processor is an Athlon 1GHz. I got a Via Apollo Pro KT133 too. Do you run it under Wine ?

If you do, run the native version. You can even try out an ebuild I made if you like (it's not yet in portage but checked into bugzilla). Even with my voodoo3 in my fastest conf I was at nearly constant 125fps (set cap to that). Only at some points the frames dropped but they did so in Windows too which is due to the processor and gfx card ...
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geforce 2 MX =/ But Winblows still perform better.. strange.. Using AGPGART 4x no error messages.. No, im running native. For example, when im emergin something cpp1 stays at 12-25% load but user load at 90-100%, should it be like this?

You made and ebuild? Yeah I'll try it!
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mh yeah. There#s no real need for an ebuild (as it's really easy to install q3 and you need the pak0.pk3 anyway but I switched my gameserver to gentoo too and wanted to have quake and it's addons under emerge version control so I made the ebuilds. And then I can just check them into bugzilla too :)
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k...

do u also got these cpu load values?
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never checked when I was in quake but I suppose it's 100% too :)

Just have a look at this:

CPU states: 94.0% user, 5.9% system, 0.0% nice, 0.0% idle

29.1 0.9 0:01 cc1
2.6 0.6 0:00 cc1
2.0 0.2 0:00 cpp0
1.8 0.1 0:00 cpp0

But thats normal. The nearly 100% User load comes from the cc processes but in the time that the user load was measured there were more than those 4 cc (cpp)s running but these 4 are the ones that are still running while top is updating ...
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok maybe that not a problem then? I dont remember it was like this with slackware.. maybe it were... Still got kina bad perf in q3, will try nvida agp instead of agp gart when i have some time.
DiskDoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: VIA AGP vs. AGPart Reply with quote

If you try the VIA AGP drivers, please tell us how it went.
I experience jerky slowups in RtCW, apparantly when the harddisk is accessed. Running Limewire in the background is virtually impossible on my 1GHz Duron, VIA KT266A, Geforce 2 MX400 system. I recompiled the kernel with AGPART deselected and the VIA AGP driver enabled in XF86config but haven't noticed any difference as of yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: