Multiple sound threads with cmipci?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beowulf918
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Multiple sound threads with cmipci? Reply with quote

Since putting in a new motherboard onboard sound (c-media 8738), I haven't been unable to play more than 1 sound stream at any given time. Trying to do an "ogg123 /path/to/file.ogg" will hang until I've stopped whatever else is using the sound chip. I've tried compiling sound support for my chip into the kernel proper as well the latest alsa drivers.

To anybody else using a c-media chip, do you have this problem too? Or is this not limited to c-media? How have you setup your sound?

Thanks.
JMB
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do that with ALSA. Not with cmipci or most other chips. You'll have to go through Arts or ESD or something like that.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, unfortunatly this is one of the things linux is missing... Software based sound mixing.

And don't start talking about ESD or Arts... They don't work. The program has to be specifically designed to work with ESD or Arts in order for it to mix, and you can't use a program that doesn't support it while they are mixing sounds from a program that does.

Linux NEEDS some software sound mixing at the driver level. Or atleast something that will work with near 100% of software out there.

And for all those that are about to tell me "then go fix it yourself" If I had any clue how to do it I'd be working on adding support for software sound mixing to alsa right now, but I don't... I know there are people out there that understand how to do it, but just aren't doing it. I wish they'd get off their lazy back side and get at it so I can get more work done on my gentoo installer instead of trying to figure out how to get sound working right on my computer...

</rant>

My GPG/PGP Public key
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arts and ESD work. Most programs are designed to work with them. If not, you can use artsdsp (for Arts):
Code:
artsdsp realplay
this works for most programs.

Quote:
Linux NEEDS some software sound mixing at the driver level.
Possibly. The ALSA project isn't the fastest one out there, imo. Perhaps there are concerns we can't guess. Maybe it's simply beyond the stated scope of ALSA. Until ALSA can do this (if ever), Arts or ESD are fine. For low latency there's Jack.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: