alsa and kernels that include it
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vericgar
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: alsa and kernels that include it Reply with quote

Hello, I am working on creating a new system for myself using Gentoo... For what I am going to be doing, the ck kernel looks best, and so I have configured it and compiled it (2.4.20-ck2). Now I am wondering, since the ck kernel includes alsa support, what I need to do differently to make alsa work? Would I just need to inject the alsa-drivers package so emerge doesn't try to compile it, or should I take alsa support out of the kernel and use the alsa-drivers package instead?

Thanks!
djs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: disable alsa and oss in kernel config Reply with quote

You'll need to disable alsa and oss in kernel config and rebuild the kernel. (you still have to have the sound support enabled. read the gentoo alsa instructions for more info.

then you can emerge the alsa-drivers and alsa-libs and alsa-tools packages. if you try to use the built-in alsa stuff in the kernel, you'll have a hard time getting the libs and tools because you'll have to compile them yourself. portage is much easier for that stuff. Also, you can upgrade alsa independently of the kernel, too.

/djs
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find a way to know what version of the alsa drivers is in the ck kernel. If it's the latest (0.9.0 rc6) then yes, you should use it, as it will be one less step required in the long and very error-prone process of getting alsa to work. Plus, the rest of the essential alsa packages (alsa-lib, alsa-oss, alsa-utils) don't depend on alsa-driver in the portage tree, so you won't need to apply any special trickery to portage anyway.

BTW, what sound card do you plan to use? Chances are that a regular kernel driver or some other third-party driver could give you better results than alsa, and without all the hassle.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
BTW, what sound card do you plan to use? Chances are that a regular kernel driver or some other third-party driver could give you better results than alsa, and without all the hassle.

So you would say it would be better to use the kernel sound drivers if we can? I'm now using the alsa intel8x0 driver, and i would say I get better soundquality when using Windows than with Gentoo and alsa (Compaq Evo W4000 Workstation with integrated sound (SoundMAX)). I haven't tried the kerneldriver though, since I got the alsa to work.. perhaps I should try it?
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but first of all, you should ask other owners of the same hardware (if you can find any). Anyone here got the same sound hardware as Joffer?

Like I said, sometimes a non-alsa driver is better. You should try 'em all drivers you can find.
vericgar
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of your guys tips (they were great but I didn't want to recompile the kernel.. heh) I did just use alsa in the kernel. I didn't inject alsa-drivers at first, but then I found I needed to as gamix (my mxier of choice) depends on it. Other then that, my sound card work great. At least the better of the two.

FYI, my sound card is an ESS Technology ES1869 ISA. It doesn't have a kernel driver other then alsa. My second sound card (which I dont know if it works or not, I found it in the bottom of my box of computer junk) is an SB 16 PnP ISA. I do have the modules compiled for that also, but haven't gotten it to work. But it also has jumpers on it that probably aren't in the right spot for it to work as a plug-n-play.

Thanks for your help guys!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: