winex problems with Diablo 2 LOD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: winex problems with Diablo 2 LOD Reply with quote

I'm having what appears to be a copy protection problem with winex and Diablo2 LOD. As long as I don't patch LOD after I install it, it runs just fine. But, if I patch to 1.09, 1.09b, or 1.09d, it can't find my cdrom (asks to be sure the LOD cd is in the drive). I am currently running Winex 2.2.1 from an rpm. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DMM
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a painfully long thread about all the issues I had getting his working (finally got it working with every variant of winex (the binary from Transgaming, the ebuild for winex and also the ebuild for winex-cvs)). It sounds, from how you worded things in your post, that you are using the Winex binary so that CD-Copy protection is supported properly. You might try updating it to a newer version of winex (depending on what version you used/are using.) Also you could consider using the winex from portage and then getting a work-around for copy protection support. Given, though, that your problem is introduced when you update to LOD 1.09(whatever alpha, b,d) then it could be the Game.exe vs. game.exe issue. Try launching the game using the command
Code:
winex Game.exe

instead of
Code:
winex Diablo\ II.exe
(Or you can try the other way, just try either or) Make sure that your 'Game.exe' is capitalized though. Anyway I hope that this helps. Be sure to post your results, and more details if you still have trouble (like are you using the binary from Transgaming or not.)

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

Well, my Game.exe is capitalized, and I have tried running it from both Diablo\ II.exe and Game.exe with not result (nothing even happened with Game.exe). I am surrently running the latest winex from a binary rpm from the transgaming site. I tried to use a workaround, but it kept looking for a file that didn't "quite" exist. It was looking for a certain *.exe.so file, but only the *.exe file existed. Needless to say, weird.

BTW, I read through a lot of your thread earlier Bonez, but I didn't see anything that seemed useful for my situation (I didn't read the whole thread, though. I will have to browse through it a bit further).

Any other ideas/thoughts??

Thanks,

DMM
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am using the winex from portage to play LOD on battle.net with patch 1.09d -- and it does not support cd protection so I have imployed a work-around. Since I am having good results with this setup I tend to want to suggest this solution. When I used the transgaming winex binary it was a tarball, not an rpm. Maybe you are having trouble using an rpm? I doubt it since it worked prior to 1.09d. I know they (blizzard) constantly change the cd protection to try and make it work on some drives and also to make sure it DOESN'T work on burned CD's etc. So it could have something to do with the copy protection on 1.09d versus 1.07 that comes with LOD. I did note that when I was using the transgaming binary winex I needed to have my LOD CD UNMOUNTED for the 1.09d CD protection to recognize the CD properly--I guess it needs access directly to the hardware. So you might give that a shot. I hope you can find your answer somewhere. Be sure to update this thread if you do!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the 2.2b-1 tarball (I actually still have it) with the same bad results. This brings me to ask: how is your cdrom setup? Personally, I have a dvd drive, located at /dev/hdc. I seem to recall that winex prefers a /dev/cdrom (which is softlinked to the same device as /dev/hdc) mounted on /mnt/cdrom, or a softlink from /mnt/cdrom to wherever that drive is mounted. I had this setup working before I switched to gentoo (which included a switch to devfs), so it seems there may be some weird configuration I missed or something. I do have /dev/cdrom listed in my fstab as well. I've tried mounting it before running, softlinking it to /mnt/dvd, etc with no results.

Also, the dvd drive light doesn't even blink when I try to run LOD 1.09d, whether I have it mounted or not. Maybe there is another issue here??

Thanks,

DMM
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently only have an IDE CD-RW in my rig running Gentoo. So I am using SCSI-Emulation. So my CD-Rom setup is even more strange given the device is actually /dev/hdc but is emulated to SCSI and then using devfs is referenced as /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in my fstab. I highly recommend using the /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in your fstab as your ONLY cd-rom entry. Another reason this is nice (I am beginning to love devfs) is I recently added an-older-than-dirt 8.4GB IDE hard drive to my box and placed it as /dev/hdc replacing my cd-rom and then bumped my CD-RW to /dev/hdd but I didn't have to change anything at all for my CD-RW!! All I had to do differently in my fstab was add the appropriate line for my new hard disk (which is now an Mp3 library.) Anyway -- I am certain this has something to do with accessing the CD and validating it is a good copy. I do know that Blizzard has historically had LOTS of trouble with various DVD-Rom drives and Diablo2 (just read all the patch logs) with respect to copy protection recognition -- but the newest patch should fix more of these than it causes! Keep thinking about it and I will do the same, hopefully we can come up with something -- I'm sure we are missing something simple or obvious. You know what I did just get an idea. Try copying your d2x files from the LOD CD (really I think they are all there except two d2xmovie and d2xmusic) and then try it out, I suggest this because I realized that when I was using Transgaming's winex binary I had already copied these files while trying to get the winex from portage working. It's worth a shot, though it will take some disk space unfortunately.

Let me know how that goes!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it is time to back-hand Blizzard. I decided to try the game using my cd-burner, and it seems to work fine. I could have sworn that I had the 1.09d version running ok at some point with my dvd-rom, but maybe not. I KNOW that I had at least one of the 1.09 versions running with my dvd, but oh well. I'm glad that this is finally "seems" resolved. I'll have to check some other stuff to make sure this isn't some sort of fluke.

Thanks for your help!

DMM
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I rant regularly about why Blizzard bothers with Copy Protection (which causes problems for people with DVD-ROM's that bought the game legally) when basically everyone who matters and cares plays on battle.net which makes it impossible to play without buying a full version. Seems to me that they should just stick to the keys and user accounts and not bother with silly copy protection, but they never did ask me.

Anyway, glad to hear you are at least getting some results now! Maybe when patch 1.10 comes out it will fix your DVD-ROM issue. I have heard lots of rumors about what 1.10 will change for game play, but none about copy-protection updates.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Xhabbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this link will be of some use. It worked for me exept that it is only 1.08 and not 1.09d. I also do not know how to connect to Blizzard's BattleNet.

http://www.latte.ca/D2LOD/

-Xhabbo
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more of a nitpicking post, but why does D2's sound crackle a bit when I get into the game and actually move around?

specs: 1.4ghz P4 with 384mb of rdram
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuber wrote:
why does D2's sound crackle

Yeah I know this bugs me too!! I get it on every Wine(x) varient there is too!! I have started to get used to it now, and rarely notice it. I think this is a limitation of wine(x). When I launch the game from a terminal window wine complains non-stop about the "audio not supporting small enough segments, which could affect audio performance" (this is HUGELY para-phrased as I am not at my machine and haven't read the error in months!) I don't think it is nitpicky though, it works fine for me on the same hardware in Windows, so why shouldn't it in wine(x)? Ah well, wine still isn't even out of beta yet supposedly (if it ever will be.)

If someone has some magical fix for this I am certainly all ears!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: