View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skunkworx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean, that was very helpful, thank you. I believe one of my problems was a misunderstanding of the purpose of revdep-rebuild, which you cleared up.

hepta_sean wrote:
skunkworx wrote:
The gconf dependency [in the gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r3 ebuild] is surrounded by parentheses, but there is no USE variable used as a conditional. I looked at the ebuild(5) man page, and could not find any defintion of DEPEND variable formatting that this matches. Is this a bug that's causing revdep-rebuild to order the ebuild list incorrectly... ?

It looks like a bug to me. Have you searched for it?

I did, and didn't see anything referencing this. I thought I should have a second opinion before filing a bug report.

Quote:
...[E]very package, that revdep-rebuild tries to remerge is currently installed. My theory is: emerge depclean removed these gnome-libs by mistake. Now, the programs using them are, of course, broken. revdep-rebuild tries to remerge them, but cannot do it, because they depend on the removed libs, and cannot be compiled without the libraries. You emerged these dependencies by hand, and everything is o.k. again (no remerging of the "broken" gnome-panel is necessary, because the libraries are there again)...

Understood!

Quote:
Quote:
However, if I were to run emerge depclean either now or later (such as after another portage sync), [required packages are again tagged for removal]. Is this an effect of depclean not being as careful as it should be with its dependency checking? Would using the dep script mentioned in this thread be more effective? Or, should I put these packages in world to keep depclean from trying to remove them?

You could try dep -s, but dep is still work in progress, so be careful and report back in that thread. (And prepare for it to be very slow, but at least it should be more accurate.)

Putting the packages in world would be a possible workaround. It should stop emerge depclean from removing these packages. Would, however, be interesting to find out, why emerge depclean is to agressive on these.

Something to do with slotting, perhaps? Each package tagged by revdep-rebuild is actually installed twice on my system, once for gnome-1 (XMMS) and once for gnome-2. It was the gnome-1 versions that were slated for rebuilds. I get the impression that depclean only checks the dependencies of the newest slot, causing packages required by older slots (and not tagged elsewhere) to be wiped out.

Thanks again for the great help!

"Everyday is just one day." -- not the Traveling Wilburys
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooba42 wrote:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
emerge sync 2>&1 /dev/null
emerge -uDpv world
echo "If this list is agreeable then run: emerge -uDv world\n"
emerge -pv depclean
echo "If this lis is agreeable then run:  emerge -v depclean\n"
revdep-rebuild -pv
echo "If this list is agreeable then run: revdep-rebuild -v \n"
emerge -uDfv world 2>&1 /dev/null

This should build an upgrade list, a removal list and a rebuild list and then makes sure that it'll fetch all the packages necessary for when I do get around to actually doing the update and uses the default cron behavior to mail all the results back to me in a quickie report format (including reminders for the appropriate commands should I be particularly braindead for some reason).

Are there any gotchas I missed?

If you do the actual steps in the same order as the "pretends" in the script, than the results may differ from the ones given by the pretend:
1.) The "emerge -uDv world" may update to a version, which does not depend on a certain package or slot of a package anymore. Therefore, the "emerge -v depclean" may clean more packages than the "emerge -pv depclean", which was run before the actual update.
2.) The "emerge -v depclean" may remove libraries, against which some binaries are linked. Hence, the "revdep-rebuild -v" may find and remerge more breakages than the "revdep-rebuild -pv", which was run before the actual depclean.

Moreover, the dependencies nevertheless have to be newly calculated, when you actually execute the commands, so you could just use the "--ask" option and forget about letting the pretends be mailed to you.

Greetings,
sean
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaargh. Stupid, stupid depclean. Okay, a temporary fix is to again run "emerge -uDv world" after running the depclean steps. I'll push to get this fixed, because it's definitely, definitely broken.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
shredluc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my sig for an explanation for all this "emerge -UD world" malarkey... :mrgreen:
}else{
return 0;
}
Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
JoeCotellese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Quote:

Personally, I run "glsa-check -f all" every hour, and the above set of commands for updating my system every day. I've not had a single breakage in over a year on my stable "x86" box, and only two or three on my unstable/testing "~x86" box.

Wow, great post. I've been using gentoo for about two years now and always did emerge -U everytime I wanted to update a package. Hopefully these tips will save me some headaches in the future.
acoliver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss wrote:

So. The way to fix this easily is to copy the missing files (there are two, I think they're called something like libacl.so.1 and libattr.so.1 - something like that anyway - and I think they live in /usr/lib) from a LiveCD (having booted from it) to /usr/lib (or wherever it is they're located on the LiveCD). Then, having done that, you should remerge coreutils with USE="-acl" set. This will take acl (Access Control Lists) support out of coreutils and it won't link against those two files. Once you've remerged coreutils, you can get rid of those two files again.

I think I should file a bug...

Thanks very much for this. It was very helpful. I had made the assumption that installing links would not cause all of X to be installed....this was an invalid assumption. I wished to clean up the mess and started emerge dep-cleaning with the silly assumption that "render the system inoperative" was not the default operation of this command. Without this forum post I think I might have tossed my laptop (an innocent bystander seeing it was only used to ssh to the offending system) accross the room.
fatboyjim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, very helpful seeing as I just did the exact same thing :cry:

Did anybody file that acl bug?

Remember those files to copy are in /mnt/gentoo/livecd/lib rather than /usr/lib (having booted to it) (or is it only me that didn't find that obvious?)

Cheers
Jim
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filed that bug a while ago, but if people are still getting bitten by it I might have to start getting noisy. Were either of you using recent LiveCDs?

fatboyjim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a 2004.2... are there different versions within that?

Jim
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but hopefully it's fixed in 2004.3. I'll see what I can dig up.

grnfvr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built a system a system recently off the 2004.3 cd. i used the following stage 3 tarball

# md5sum /stage3-i686-2004.2.tar.bz2
dc9b5f7248a479be680ce1302ea558eb /stage3-i686-2004.2.tar.bz2
# ls -l /stage3-i686-2004.2.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 93686187 Jul 24 13:38 /stage3-i686-2004.2.tar.bz2

I just encountered the coreutils acl library problem when depleaning.

For those whom it may benefit, i fixed it easily without booting the livecd. here is what i did:

1) From the messed up box I was able to use vi to edit sshd.conf and allow root login. you may not have to do this as by default ssh root login is allowed. nonethless, a common security principle is to not allow root ssh login and vi worked on the broken system well enough to change the sshd.conf file.
Code:
vi /etc/sshd.conf

2) restarted sshd
Code:
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

3) emerged acl on another system (it wasn't there for whatever reason)
Code:
emerge acl

4) scped the two .so's in question to the lib directory on the messed up box.
Code:

scp /lib/libacl.so.1 root@messedupbox:/lib/
scp /lib/libattr.so.1 root@messedupbox:/lib/
CarlUman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss wrote:
I'm going to update it as soon as I'm satisfied that pruneworld is sufficiently stable. It's much, much better, but Ed is about to split everything off into various different scripts to make everything more modular, so I'm going to let him do that and then let everything settle down again before I start recommending that.

Seen in the bleeding edge thread that you are using the pruneworld. Is pruneworld no ok to used in the context of this here thread? I've been putting off updating my home file server and wanted to check on the best current procedure.

If depclean is still the way to go then I'll follow what was posted before
Quote:
emerge sync
emerge -uDpv world
emerge -uDv world
emerge -pv depclean
emerge -v depclean
revdep-rebuild -pv
revdep-rebuild -v
dispatch-conf

Thanks
Carl
Schooner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm trying to use dispatch-conf... but when I run it it comes up with a menu asking me what I want to do?

So... what do I do???

:)
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post my problem but I emerge synced and now when I do a emerge -uDpv world I get this:
Code:

emerge -uDpv world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies                             ly
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r2".

!!! Problem with ebuild gnome-base/gconf-2.8.1-r1
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.

I am not sure how to approach the problem and have no real idea how to fix it. Could it be because a messed up portage tree?
hjnenc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=287113
JloR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, first off: I love you.

Second:

I have been using Gentoo Linux for a year and a half now, and just now I found out HOW the portage actually works :oops:. Till now I've been using 'emerge -puD world' usually followed by 'emerge -uD world' . But recently I had some trouble with some sneaky X packages which I didn't need on my server. This thread really helped me clean my system out!

After having read through this entire thread I am a bit confused - Is it best to use 'dep -s' / 'dep -d' or 'emerge depclean' ?

AND my system dislikes me when I run the 'revdep-rebuild -pv' command.
Seems it still needs some libraries or so (even though it runs flawless at the moment):
Code:

Angel root # revdep-rebuild -pv

Checking reverse dependencies...
Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by any package update,
will be recompiled.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/lib/samba/pdb/xml.so (requires libxml2.so.2)
  broken /usr/lib/apache2-extramodules/libphp4.so (requires libexslt.so.0 libxslt.so.1 libxml2.so.2)
  broken /usr/bin/php (requires libexslt.so.0 libgcrypt.so.11 libgpg-error.so.0 libxslt.so.1 libxml2.so.2)
  broken /usr/bin/links2 (requires libvga.so.1)
  broken /usr/bin/testprns (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /usr/bin/vfstest (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /usr/bin/nessus (requires libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 libatk-1.0.so.0 libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 libpangox-1.0.so.0 libpango-1.0.so.0)
  broken /usr/sbin/smbd (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /usr/sbin/swat (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp (requires libxkbfile.so.1 libX11.so.6)
  broken /usr/local/bin/xhydra (requires libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 libatk-1.0.so.0 libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 libpangox-1.0.so.0 libpango-1.0.so.0)
  broken /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /usr/local/samba/sbin/spoolssd (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /usr/local/samba/bin/testprns (requires libcups.so.2)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/lib/i386/libawt.so (requires libmlib_image.so libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libjava.so)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/lib/i386/awt_robot (requires libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so (requires libawt.so libjava.so)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/lib/i386/libjawt.so (requires libawt.so libjava.so)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_jni.so (requires libawt.so libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/plugin/i386/netscape4/javaplugin.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so (requires libxpcom.so libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so (requires libmlib_image.so libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libjava.so)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/awt_robot (requires libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so (requires libawt.so libjava.so)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/libjawt.so (requires libawt.so libjava.so)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_jni.so (requires libawt.so libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/netscape4/javaplugin.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so (requires libxpcom.so libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libdcpr.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/awt_robot (requires libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libXi.so.6 libX11.so.6)
ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `/opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libXm.so.3'
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libXm.so.3 (requires libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libjawt.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so (requires libasound.so.2)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libawt.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_jni.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/plugin/i386/netscape4/libjavaplugin.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/javaws/javawsbin (requires libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libdcpr.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/awt_robot (requires libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libXi.so.6 libX11.so.6)
ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libXm.so.3'
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libXm.so.3 (requires libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libjawt.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so (requires libasound.so.2)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so (requires libXp.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXtst.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXt.so.6 libSM.so.6 libICE.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXp.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_jni.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
  broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/plugin/i386/netscape4/libjavaplugin.so (requires libXt.so.6 libX11.so.6)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order...
Warning: Failed to resolve package order.
Will merge in "random" order!
Possible reasons:
- Some ebuilds are no more in portage tree.
- Some ebuilds are masked, try to change ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>"
  and/or use /etc/portage/package.unmask
..... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv =dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1 =dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01 =dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.1 =dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01 =dev-php/mod_php-4.3.10 =dev-php/php-4.3.10 =net-analyzer/nessus-core-2.0.12 =net-fs/samba-3.0.10 =net-www/links-2.1_pre15

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1".

Result is not OK, you have following choices:
- if emerge failed during build, fix the problems and re-run revdep-rebuild
    or
- use -X or --package-names as first argument (try to rebuild package, not exact
  ebuild - ignores SLOT!)
    or
- set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>" and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask
  (and remove /root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order to be evaluated again)
    or
- modify the above emerge command and run it manually
    or
- compile or unmerge unsatisfied packages manually, remove temporary files and
  try again (you can edit package/ebuild list first)

To remove temporary files, please run:
rm /root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_*
Angel root #

What is this all about? And how can I fix it - it looks everything but pretty..

P.S. This is the end result of cleaning my system up by 'emerge unmerge <package>' a lot of times followed by 'emerge -uDv world' when I was satisfied with 'emerge -puDv world' output. Then 'emerge depclean' (of course checking with -p first) .. and now 'revdep-rebuild -pv' (to check first. Thanks a lot robmoss for the combo. It works like magic!)
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if using

Code:
emerge sync
emerge -uDpv world
emerge -uDv world
emerge -pv depclean
emerge -v depclean
revdep-rebuild -pv
revdep-rebuild -v
dispatch-conf

would unmerge kde-3.3.2 and emerge kde-3.4.0?
how can i take out a package from emerging? take out something blocking?
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss (on first page) wrote:
Okay. As you're probably aware, there are two different sorts of packages which you can use - those which are marked with the "x86" keyword, and those which are marked with the "~x86" keyword. Those which are marked with the "x86" keyword are considered stable and should work on any x86 system whatsoever without a hitch. Those marked with "~x86" are considered unstable or testing, and may break.

I had used the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" option set in the /etc/make.conf.
And i am now convinced that it isn't good to have the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" option set.
So I changed it in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86".

The question now is: How do i downgrade all installed masked packages in a nice way?
Can i do a emerge -uD world?
Or do i have to unemerge all masked packages first? (if yes, how?)

[edit]
i see that -u also downgrades. and when i do a emerge -uDvp world i notice that my kernel is downgraded to, do i have to recompile it?
chashab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: upgrade helper script Reply with quote

here's my humble contribution. basically makes upgrading real simple. run the script with a 1, then a 2, etc through to 6 and then your done! make sure there are no errors, etc. after each step.

on this topic.. has anything changed since robmoss posted his excellant suggestions last year? any updates to emerge that changes the _right_way_ of doing things?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#gentoo upgrade helper script - 2005-08-01

if [ $# -gt 0 ]
then
case $1 in
        1 ) emerge sync ;;
        2 ) emerge -uDav world $2 ;;
        3 ) emerge -av depclean ;;
        4 ) revdep-rebuild -pv ;;
        5 ) revdep-rebuild -v ;;
        6 ) dispatch-conf ;;
        * ) echo "cat this file for help" ;;
esac
fi

edit 2005-08-01: fixed poor scripting, option 2 now takes a 2nd paraemter (use with -t)

Last edited by chashab on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnlightedGnome
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is dispatch-conf called in portage? I can't find it...
meax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnlightedGnome wrote:
what is dispatch-conf called in portage? I can't find it...

Code:
# equery b `which dispatch-conf`
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/sbin/dispatch-conf in *... ]
sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.22-r2 (/usr/sbin/dispatch-conf -> ../lib/portage/bin/dispatch-conf)
As you can see, it comes with portage. Oh and equery is the gentoolkit package.

meax
mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to upgrade mysql but am having difficulties...
Code:
# revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...
Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by any package update,
will be recompiled.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/lib/libiso9660.so.0 (requires libcdio.so.0)
  broken /usr/X11R6/lib/libiso9660.so.0 (requires libcdio.so.0)
  broken /usr/kde/3.2/lib/kde3/kcm_view1394.so (requires libraw1394.so.5)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order...
Warning: Failed to resolve package order.
Will merge in "random" order!
Possible reasons:
- Some ebuilds are no more in portage tree.
- Some ebuilds are masked, try to change ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>"
  and/or use /etc/portage/package.unmask
..... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot --nodeps  =dev-libs/libcdio-0.73 =kde-base/kdebase-3.2.0
Calculating dependencies -
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=kde-base/kdebase-3.2.0".

Result is not OK, you have following choices:
- if emerge failed during build, fix the problems and re-run revdep-rebuild
    or
- use -X or --package-names as first argument (try to rebuild package, not exact
  ebuild - ignores SLOT!)
    or
- set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>" and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask
  (and remove /root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order to be evaluated again)
    or
- modify the above emerge command and run it manually
    or
- compile or unmerge unsatisfied packages manually, remove temporary files and
  try again (you can edit package/ebuild list first)

To remove temporary files, please run:
rm /root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_*

kde-base/kdebase-3.2.0 doesn't exist in portage for me any longer and I presume that is the issue, but I am not sure how to overcome this obstacle. Any ideas?
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your post saved my life!
pgreenwood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're happy with your system, don't upgrade world. I'd rather see whether "emerge -Upv system" lists anything you'd really want to update, and generally only upgrade individual packages. This makes recovery much easier if anything goes wrong (and there are numerous reports on "emerge -U world" breaking things), and you can deal with changes individually.

Greetings!

"So soon old and too late smart"

I feel as if I'm about to lose a working Gentoo install -- 2006.1 genkernel -- and seek advice.

I began following the Maintaining Software chapter from the Handbook http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap3. Long story short, after initially losing access to my X-apps and my ethernet card I've gotten my eth0 running again, but cannot seem to get beyond the gdm or xdm login screen. GDM complains

Code:
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "pat"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries: libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

emerge uDv system ran without complaint.

emerge --info

Code:
Computer01 ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.2.2 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine)
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:20:01 +0000
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r6
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.14
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks metadata-transfer parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.iawnet.sandia.gov/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo ftp://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/gentoo/ "
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X alsa apache2 apm arts berkdb bitmap-fonts cli cracklib crypt cups dri eds emboss encode esd foomaticdb gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 iconv imlib isdnlog jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad midi mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl oss pam pcre perl png pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode userlocales vorbis x86 xml xorg xv zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="apm ark ati chips cirrus cyrix dummy fbdev glint i128 i740 i810 imstt mga neomagic nsc nv rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb tdfx tga trident tseng v4l vesa vga via vmware voodoo"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

emerge -uDv world ends with

Code:
Esound Configure Settings:

Debugging support: no
libwrap support:   yes

LIBS=-lasound

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2/work/esound-0.2.36'
Making all in docs
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2/work/esound-0.2.36/docs'
jw -f docbook -b html -o html ./esound.sgml
Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat
Using stylesheet: /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14/docbook-utils.dsl#html
Working on: /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2/work/esound-0.2.36/docs/./esound.sgml
jade: error while loading shared libraries: libosp.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [html/index.html] Error 8
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2/work/esound-0.2.36/docs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2/work/esound-0.2.36'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1614:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 971:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  environment, line 3675:   Called src_compile
  esound-0.2.36-r2.ebuild, line 58:   Called die

!!! Make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/esound-0.2.36-r2/temp/build.log'.

And last but not least, the tty1 display of Midnight Commander is garbled.

Thanks for a pointer/direction to go next.
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss, I've come across your thread which I am executing with interest.

Is it commonplace for emerge -uDpv world to stop at various points asking for files? Because as soon as it does, I restart and carry on regardless. It's compiling at the moment and originally I had some 254 items that needed updating. Now having restarted a number of times, I am down to 138.

This particular box was quite old running kernel 2.6.12 but I have now recompiled the 2.6.23 kernel, so I guess all these interruptions are to be expected. Like a lot of people here, I never touched the "world" stuff for fear of braking something, but given the box is already broke due to a prob with the OS not seeing my 3Ware stuff, I thought now was the time for a good, thorough, deep clean of the system.

And yes, it is a definite scary moment... :?

Am currently sourcing components for a new 2U quad core monster box, so that'll be fun! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: