PA-RISC any good
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friism
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: PA-RISC any good Reply with quote

This might be a bit off topic...

I'm looking for a fast cheap workstation, and it looks like HP PARISC workstation can be had fairly cheaply off ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11221&item=5723607719&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11221&item=5723729351&rd=1
Now, I realise they won't run Gentoo, but are they otherwise fast, eg. can they run big interactive apps like Eclipse? They have plenty of RAM certainly, and I would imagine the 400MHz procs are quite snappy too... Any thoughts?
tracyde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love the PA-RISC platform. The only thing that it needs is support for the FX series of cards (I have an FX4 and FX5). I have a Visualize J5600 dual 500mhz 64-bit processors and 1.5gb of ram, it makes a kick butt web server, but could do much much more.

I am currently in the process of attempting to get an S3 Virge pci video card working with it, I want to use X apps so darn bad on this system.

I have heard that the VisualizeEG graphics cards work well with the X.org drivers but do not have one to try, if the S3 card does not work then I am going to go out and by an EG.
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says they won't run Gentoo? B2000 and C3000 should both be okay with any recent kernel. There are two potential problem areas with those models:

- SuckyIO (officially superio) support has been a bit of a bugbear, but should be usable in recent kernels.

- B2000 has FXe graphics (not sure about C3000). FX series graphics aren't supported. The easiest option for X is an HP Vis-EG PCI card, although some people have reported success with Voodoo and Matrox cards.

The 400MHz 64-bit PA-RISC cpu (PA-8500/PCX-W) should be pretty fast and has a great big onboard L1 cache. Nice machines!

-Andy
poulpe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

- B2000 has FXe graphics (not sure about C3000). FX series graphics aren't supported.

C3000 is exactly the same machine than the B2000 except that the graphic card is not integrated on the motherboard. Generally entry-level configs have a FXe graphic card on one PCI slot.
I did not try X but framebuffer is working fine on them.
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poulpe wrote:
Quote:

- B2000 has FXe graphics (not sure about C3000). FX series graphics aren't supported.

C3000 is exactly the same machine than the B2000 except that the graphic card is not integrated on the motherboard. Generally entry-level configs have a FXe graphic card on one PCI slot.
I did not try X but framebuffer is working fine on them.

Yeah, B2000 and C3000 are basically the same architecture. In pedantic mode I could point out that C3000 has PCI-64/66, which B2000 doesn't have. It has twice as many Elroy PCI bridges (4 vs. 2), narrow SE SCSI (as well as Ultra2-wide LVD which both have), and twice as many memory slots (8 vs. 4). B2000 has FXe as mentioned.

FXe is *not supported* as a framebuffer, and is thus unuseable from XFree86/Xorg. It works with STI console (sticon). Maybe one day ggg can get the FX docs scrubbed and released from HP, but don't hold your breath.

-Andy
rino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: hpj5600, video alternatives Reply with quote

Hi Folks, as many of you my Hppa Gentoo box(j5600) is up&running, unfortunately without the FEx video card working.
I am looking to buy a new PCi card , and so far the RADEON 7000 64MB DDR PCI seems to be the right balance $$$$.
I am wondering if anyone already test this HW/similar, any alternative suggestions are appreciate. :roll:
Thank you
Rino
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: