Installer Suggestions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Installer Suggestions Reply with quote

Hey. Since the install is a network install it would be nice if you could throw a browser on the install cd. links is a great one, lynx is allright. It would be nice to be able to browse documentation and read the news while you wait for your compiles to finish. In fact perhaps a few such frivolous toys to use for amusement would be nice. nethack and moon-buggy would also be nice.
Everybody else has voted for vim and I will too! Is there a problem with space? 16M iso is that so it can all fit into memory or something? Anyhow thanks to everyboddy who put time into this ROCKIN linux dist.
freefall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To include a console browser sounds pretty good. Can be useful if you have only got one comp.

I don´t think games should be included though. That´s just wrong. And I think nano is good enough to use during installation.
jonemi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty soon we're going to be asking for a GUI and Quake III Arena. :-)

I have a rescue Linux disk at work that has an editor which works somewhat like BusyBox in that it has stripped versions of pico, vi, emacs, etc. all in the same executable. Too bad I forget the name.
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But keep that ISO under 185MB!

mmm quake 3...

I have a bootable mini cd linux called LNX-BBC which boots off the CD and runs in RAM, never touches the hard drive. Great for repairs or even just NOT USING WINDOWS on someone else's PC. Has tons of great utils built in for networking use/troubleshooting, a browser, blackbox, games... all under 50MB so that it'll fit onto one of those cropped business card cd's!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(corn)-(12:51pm Fri Apr 19)-(corn@lotus)
$ ls -lh /usr/bin/links
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 637k Apr 19 12:51 /usr/bin/links*

I could live with that. Hey Ill just make my own ISO with vi, links, ncftp, nethack, micq burn it onto one of those business card cd's and Ill be ready to ROCK anytime anywhere slowest install in the west :twisted:
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I plan to take that bootable linux (so that I can boot it on anyone's PC without their HDD even getting mounted) but alter it from what it is (50MB) and adding my bookmarks, newer apps, more stuff...

And keep it under 185MB. Those chopped business card cd's are so slightly smaller than the full round 3"ers that it really isn't worth ditching 135 megs over

This way I'll have MY OS anywhere I go! Bring that and a 3" cdrw to save stuff on if they have a burner! Schweet!
cirad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, vim, nvi or so would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice suggestions comming up here :)

What about a heavily modified IRC Client which connects to irc.openprojects.net and joins #gentoo (no other server/channel is possible to simplify it).

[This is not meant 100% serious although it is a nice idea ;-)]
chadh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonemi wrote:
I have a rescue Linux disk at work that has an editor which works somewhat like BusyBox in that it has stripped versions of pico, vi, emacs, etc. all in the same executable. Too bad I forget the name.

You are probably talking about e3. We actually had that in the build image for a couple revisions, but it was just too limited.
chadh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installer Suggestions Reply with quote

corn wrote:
Hey. Since the install is a network install it would be nice if you could throw a browser on the install cd.

Then intention of the ISo environment is to be as small as possible. ssh was provided so that you can connect to another machine and run a chat client or links or whatever console-app you want.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: