heading home :D
THX
Mpemba Effect
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John5788 wrote:
ahorn wrote:
in this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=251449 we found out some nice infos about the big HT with reiser4 problem. it looks like that cko3 is the only patchset which works with ht AND reiser4. You see:
ahorn wrote:
You mean changing from 2.6.9-nitro3 to 2.6.9-cko3 will make HT and reiser4 working? Hopefully seppe will add the neaded patch in nitro4. Any idea what is changed in cko3 for HT?

Is it true that nitro4 works the same or does anybody know were the result of cko3 is or I'm (and a few others) the only person who got these freezes with ht and reiser4?

nitro is my favorite patchset, it would be a pleasure if ht works also in it.

im curious too

No, nitro4 still hard locks. Using reiser4,ht and 2.6.9 these warnings:
Code:
  CC      fs/reiser4/search.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/page_cache.o
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c: In function `set_page_dirty_internal':
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:536: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from inc
ompatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:552: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from i
ncompatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c: In function `capture_reiser4_inodes':
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:597: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irqsave' from
 incompatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:603: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore'
 from incompatible pointer type
  CC      fs/reiser4/lnode.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/kcond.o

CC      fs/reiser4/file_ops.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/as_ops.o
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c: In function `reiser4_clear_page_dirty':
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:78: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irqsave' from inco
mpatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:87: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:92: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c: In function `reiser4_set_page_dirty':
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:111: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from incompa
tible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:123: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from incom
patible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c: In function `reiser4_releasepage':
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:573: warning: passing arg 1 of `_write_lock_irq' from incomp
atible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:579: warning: passing arg 1 of `_write_unlock_irq' from inco
mpatible pointer type
  CC      fs/reiser4/emergency_flush.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/spinprof.o

CC      fs/reiser4/plugin/file/pseudo.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.o
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c: In function `sync_page_list':
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1211: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' f
rom incompatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1223: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq'
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1230: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' f
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1233: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq'
  CC      fs/reiser4/plugin/file/tail_conversion.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/sys_reiser4

occur in every 2.6.9 I've used with the exception on cko3 which is the only one currently that I know of thats working. I'm sure it's not a coincedence.
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.9-nitro3 worked just plain fantastic for yours truly...

2.6.9-nitro4 passes the ET and Doom 3 Demo test with flying colors 8)

Thanks!
gapon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: hibernate + "strange graphic" + x-server freeze Reply with quote

hi all!

i have problem with nitro-kernel when i hibernate - hibernate is ok, but when i then start my notebook, it always freezes (when i have x-server started), or i can see very "strange graphic" in my console - when i type "mc" it takes long time to start mc and instead of "normal lines" i see only "strange characters" (like @). can anybody help me PLZ?

THANX A LOT!

gapon

kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r4 + nitro
ati mobility radeon 9700
x.org 6.7.0 + ati-driver-3.14.6
using swsusp2 (no modules, all compiled into kernel)
anything else?

Last edited by gapon on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all.......i have not been able to get nvidia to work after i migrated to xorg :(.....could some1 lemme know how?? without ny exceptions it doesn't work on this kernel too. plz lemme know how to get it to work.......whenever i try to start X with nvidia drivers the comp just hangs there. And i have to do a hard boot. I get no logs either as to what went wrong.......the nvidia drivers i am trying to use are the latest ~x86 ones.....ie 6629.

thnx in adv
Saurabh
loswillios
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I would like to see the acpi-dsdt back soon. It worked for me though the status was always "untested" :mrgreen:
I own a X10 (older one, don't know about the new ones) and they fucked up with the standards.

What about the Bluetooth Patches at http://www.bluez.org/patches.html? I think in 2.6.10 they are already included. BTW why do you make .9er releases while .10 is out? I haven't tried it yet but would like to b'cause of the Bluetooth stuff.

One more wish: ipw2100 1.0 is out! check it out at http://ipw2100.sf.net

greetz
jan
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry, acpi-dsdt will be back in the next release. And as far as I know, 2.6.9 is the latest stable kernel, 2.6.10 isn't out yet .. only release candidates, and I decided not to patch against release candidates for a while because I just don't have the time to keep up with them.

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
SchAmane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
As far as I know, inotify is indeed something related to Gnome's hal+dbus implementation, so maybe I should add it next time.

It would be nice in any way. Actualy inotify is not needed for hal, and for dbus as long, but many application, like http://www.gnome.org/projects/beagle/ do use inotify for handling creation handlig on directory changes, like indexing new files. And than it use dbus for send messages about results of it to another threads, or apps.
So inotify can be very usefull to any other aimplementation, and not only for gnome, or dbus.
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SchAmane wrote:
seppe wrote:
As far as I know, inotify is indeed something related to Gnome's hal+dbus implementation, so maybe I should add it next time.

It would be nice in any way. Actualy inotify is not needed for hal, and for dbus as long, but many application, like http://www.gnome.org/projects/beagle/ do use inotify for handling creation handlig on directory changes, like indexing new files. And than it use dbus for send messages about results of it to another threads, or apps.
So inotify can be very usefull to any other aimplementation, and not only for gnome, or dbus.

Wow, beagle looks nice .. does it work with XFCE 4.2 as well?

hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works very well for me (HP nx9105 laptop - AMD3000+, nvidia nforce3). Thanks a lot.

I would like to see the alps.patch from the Synaptics driver package in there but as it's not too common I guess I'll have to stick to applying the patch myself.

Håkan
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: hibernate + "strange graphic" + x-server freez Reply with quote

gapon wrote:
hi all!

i have problem with nitro-kernel when i hibernate - hibernate is ok, but when i then start my notebook, it always freezes (when i have x-server started), or i can see very "strange graphic" in my console - when i type "mc" it takes long time to start mc and instead of "normal lines" i see only "strange characters" (like @). can anybody help me PLZ?

THANX A LOT!

gapon

ati mobility radeon 9700
anything else?

That is, because you can't hibernate from X with the binary ati-drivers loaded. You can do 2 things to solve this:
1. Don't use the binary ati-drivers, but the open source radeon module from the kernel. Then hibernating and resuming from and to X will work, but you won't get 3D.
2. Keep using the binary ati-drivers but use a script that quits X, hibernate's .... resumes, restart X. With this method, you still gain much startup time. I use this method as well. I described how to set this up at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1681549#1681549

McGuyver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you really want some patch is that isn't in anymore (like orinocco, acx iteraid, ...), please let me know.

Quote:
yes i would like the orinoco patch plz

... and supermount plz.[/quote]
gapon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: hibernate + "strange graphic" + x-server freez Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
gapon wrote:
hi all!

THANX A LOT!

gapon

ati mobility radeon 9700
anything else?

That is, because you can't hibernate from X with the binary ati-drivers loaded. You can do 2 things to solve this:
1. Don't use the binary ati-drivers, but the open source radeon module from the kernel. Then hibernating and resuming from and to X will work, but you won't get 3D.
2. Keep using the binary ati-drivers but use a script that quits X, hibernate's .... resumes, restart X. With this method, you still gain much startup time. I use this method as well. I described how to set this up at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1681549#1681549

seppe, thanx a lot!

gapon
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on my level of laziness, I may or may not be getting back in the habit of writing more alsa patches as needed. Probably be tough though; Metroid Prime 2 is out and calling to me.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuyver wrote:
Quote:
If you really want some patch is that isn't in anymore (like orinocco, acx iteraid, ...), please let me know.

Quote:
yes i would like the orinoco patch plz

... and supermount plz.

seppe wrote:

1. Download http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.9/2.6.9-ck3/patches/supermount-ng207.diff
2. cd /usr/src/linux (which should point to /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro4)
3. patch -p1 < /path/to/supermount-ng207.diff

I cannot understand why somebody wants to use Supermount, when HAL+DBUS are available, it's many times better solution.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y34h!

this one is the best of your 2.6.9er's

vesa-tng, nvidia, reiser4 ..everything works purrrrfekt.
i just had to update alsa-tools/libs/headers to 1.0.7 and reconfigure the soundcard... now the master is the master again, since 2.6.9-nitro1 headphones were playin' master...

thx for that!
wegrzyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Nitro4 and VM issues... Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone else noticed more seg-faults under Nitro4?

I have been running Nitro2 since it came out and running some tests - mostly reconfiguring the kernel and doing a 'make all'. Under Nitro2 the only time I would get seg-faults was if I overclocked my system (I have an MSI Neo2-P motherboard). If I back off the overclocking the Nitro2 system works fine.

Now forward to Nitro4. Without any overclocking - just running the system that is rock steady under Nitro2 - I've been getting seg faults in doing a kernel 'make all'. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of behavior?

Regards,
Chuck Wegrzyn
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mpemba Effect wrote:
John5788 wrote:
ahorn wrote:
in this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=251449 we found out some nice infos about the big HT with reiser4 problem. it looks like that cko3 is the only patchset which works with ht AND reiser4. You see:
ahorn wrote:
You mean changing from 2.6.9-nitro3 to 2.6.9-cko3 will make HT and reiser4 working? Hopefully seppe will add the neaded patch in nitro4. Any idea what is changed in cko3 for HT?

Is it true that nitro4 works the same or does anybody know were the result of cko3 is or I'm (and a few others) the only person who got these freezes with ht and reiser4?

nitro is my favorite patchset, it would be a pleasure if ht works also in it.

im curious too

Code:
  CC      fs/reiser4/search.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/page_cache.o
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:536: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from inc
ompatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:552: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from i
ncompatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:597: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irqsave' from
fs/reiser4/page_cache.c:603: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore'
  CC      fs/reiser4/lnode.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/kcond.o

CC      fs/reiser4/file_ops.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/as_ops.o
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:78: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irqsave' from inco
mpatible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:87: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:92: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irqrestore' from
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:111: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' from incompa
tible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:123: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq' from incom
patible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:573: warning: passing arg 1 of `_write_lock_irq' from incomp
atible pointer type
fs/reiser4/as_ops.c:579: warning: passing arg 1 of `_write_unlock_irq' from inco
mpatible pointer type
  CC      fs/reiser4/emergency_flush.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/spinprof.o

CC      fs/reiser4/plugin/file/pseudo.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.o
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1211: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' f
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1223: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq'
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1230: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_lock_irq' f
fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:1233: warning: passing arg 1 of `_read_unlock_irq'
  CC      fs/reiser4/plugin/file/tail_conversion.o
  CC      fs/reiser4/sys_reiser4

occur in every 2.6.9 I've used with the exception on cko3 which is the only one currently that I know of thats working. I'm sure it's not a coincedence.

damn.
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orinoco please
Kurse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
CC fs/reiser4/search.o
CC fs/reiser4/page_cache.o
ompatible pointer type
ncompatible pointer type
CC fs/reiser4/lnode.o
CC fs/reiser4/kcond.o

CC fs/reiser4/file_ops.o
CC fs/reiser4/as_ops.o
mpatible pointer type
tible pointer type
patible pointer type
atible pointer type
mpatible pointer type
CC fs/reiser4/emergency_flush.o
CC fs/reiser4/spinprof.o

CC fs/reiser4/plugin/file/pseudo.o
CC fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.o
CC fs/reiser4/plugin/file/tail_conversion.o
CC fs/reiser4/sys_reiser4

This is strange, my system is Reiser4, HT, and 2.6.9 using nitro4 and I dont have any problems with hardlocks or anything of that nature. I did notice those errors on compiling, but I havent seen problems despite them.
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some add on patches: orinocco, acpi dsdt and acx.

Apply them as follow:
1. Download the patch file you want to a location you won't forget :)
2. cd /usr/src/linux
3. patch -p1 < /path/to/the_patch_file_you_have_downloaded.diff

zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardlock upon any portage-related activity.
seringen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that INOTIFY patch is really important for us gnome-volume-manager/hal/dbus people, so it'd make a very important addition.
nickshub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enabling PREEMPT in nitro4 makes the kernel panic at boot on my machine with VIA KT333 chipset. Boots fine without PREEMPT. :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: