grub and hostname question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: grub and hostname question Reply with quote

i downloaded adn installed gentoo yesterday ...everything seems to be ok but i ahve a couple of issues that arent really causing trouble but i would like to know more about them.

first i never saw the hey look! new prompt !! thing...but bash is working

second on the first boot i got a messege warning me that the gentoo linux initilization script didnt find DEVFS compiled into my kernel and that this was needed for gentoo to run properly and that i should go to the website adn see the documentation on this.
as the boot continued from that messege i had a red * next to a file system check apparently to do with the devfs
so i logon cd to linux recompile adding dev file system support to the new kernel mv /boot/bzImage to boot Image.orig then cp the new bzImage to /boot
i cd to /boot to see what might i should do to the menu.lst and there isnt one and no grub either...the two bzImages are there and thats it....well i look around adn can find the menu.lst so i just reboot...the warning messege is still there but then when the system starts going up the file system red flag is gone ...all green

third is that i am getting a red * during boot saying * you need to set /etc/hostname to a valid hostname
i use a ics lil proxie and i am connecting gentoo using dhcp and its all working but i ahve no /etc/hostname file or directory

well any help on any of this would be great....i am not very linux literate yet but this is a really cool distro and i am sure it will teach me plenty.

thanks
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as per the install instructions, the hostname is just

/etc/hostname
Code:
mymachine.mydomain.com
on one line

I never got that new prompt thing either. It's a lie; some sort of cover up

Does grub go if you type "grub"? I think grub only keeps files for boot in /boot, but not files to run the setup grub utility (not sure though)
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can start grub...but all that is given is a grub> prompt....and there should i thought be a configuration file 'menu.lst' in the /boot section but there isnt...as for the hostname somehow i mucst have missed that or something...but there is not an /etc/hostname now so what would i need to do to create the file and would i need to append any other config files
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. that's it. just make that file and put your computer's host/domain name in it on one line
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks static that was an easy enough fix for the hostname.

anyone have a suggestion as to why there is not a /grub directory in /boot and also no menu.lst....and even after compiling the kernel with the dev file sys support i still am recieving the warning before the file system check adn real boot begins....should this be compiled as a module rather then built into the kernel?

ciao

EDIT: just incase anyone reads this i have reinstalled gentoo and this time everything is as it should be...obviously a 'user error' was responsible for the problems ...damn i wish that would stop happening....lol

thanks to felipe and static for their input

ciao

rommel
shade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
well thanks static that was an easy enough fix for the hostname.

anyone have a suggestion as to why there is not a /grub directory in /boot and also no menu.lst....and even after compiling the kernel with the dev file sys support i still am recieving the warning before the file system check adn real boot begins....should this be compiled as a module rather then built into the kernel?

ciao

EDIT: just incase anyone reads this i have reinstalled gentoo and this time everything is as it should be...obviously a 'user error' was responsible for the problems ...damn i wish that would stop happening....lol

thanks to felipe and static for their input

ciao

rommel

Check /etc/fstab

I built my kernel about a billion (well, really only 3) times before I noticed that /boot was mounted as noauto(!) I just edited out the noauto and it finally worked. It's in the options column (forth one or so over).

Hope this fixes it for you. :)

Shade
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: