Java and Mozilla?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Java and Mozilla? Reply with quote

So frustrating!

I'm running Mozilla 1.2.1-r4, and blackdown-jdk-1.3.1 is both the system vm and my user vm. I've set up a symlink in my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory to the actual plugin:

Code:
javaplugin_oji.so -> /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so

But I have no java in Mozilla. Going to Help->About Plug-ins shows my Flash and RealPlayer plugins, but no java plugin. What else do I need to do?

Many thanks,
James
jathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: One other thing - Fonts Reply with quote

Also, does anyone have any guidance on how to make fonts work correctly in Mozilla? I see many websites (most of them probably designed in MS Frontpage) where things like the apostrophe and double quotes are screwed up. How do I fix this?

Again, many thanks.

James
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the best way to get Java to work is to use the SUN java libraries and compile from source -- which actually works nicely now see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=30534&highlight=

Firstly uninstall the blackdown jdk and install the sun-jdk (as it is needed for the source compile)
Code:
emerge unmerge dev-java/blackdown*
emerge dev-java/sun-jdk

It will instruct you to download a certain file and move into distfiles/ do this and re issue the command.

When that is completed you can now emerge the j2sdk and have it compile from source, which takes a little while.
Code:
emerge dev-java/sun-j2sdk

I cant gauruntee that this will work with mozilla 1.2.1-r* but I know it does with 1.3a which works great with gtk2 and all the fonts. Try moving to mozilla 1.3a to fix the fonts problem
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" USE="gtk2" emerge net-www/mozilla/mozilla-1.3a.ebuild
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worked great with mozilla 1.2 for me
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there you go.

Im quite happy with 1.3a so im not going to bother going back, but at least it does work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: