Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVicTioN wrote:
I get this error on the emerge of ndiswrapper. First time I am runing nitro source is there some thing I am missing patch/switch? What I noticed right away is the clipping/hitch on data load is gone. Loading tons of textures like in doom 3 is smooth no data pulling hitching. Would really like to run these sources ;).

Code:

>>> Unpacking ndiswrapper-0.11.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work
>>> Source unpacked.
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver'
make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to parent make rule.
make -C //usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver \
        NDISWRAPPER_VERSION=0.11 \
        EXTRA_VERSION= modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro3'
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/wrapper.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.o
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function `wpa_set_key':
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1342: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
attribute warn_unused_result
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1344: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1347: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1350: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function `wpa_disassociate':
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1488: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function `wpa_associate':
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1505: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1507: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function `wpa_deauthenticate':
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/iw_ndis.c:1629: warning: ignoring return value of `copy_from_user', declared with
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/pe_loader.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.o
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692:63: macro "kthread_run" requires 5 arguments, but only 3 given
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c: In function `PsCreateSystemThread':
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692: error: `kthread_run' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro3'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-wireless/ndiswrapper-0.11 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 40, Exitcode 2
!!! Compile Failed!
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Have the same problem. It is related to that version of ndiswrapper though. Bug has already been filed, but I think they arent going to do much about it cause it does work with a vanilla-kernel.
Just emerge \=net-wireless/ndiswrapper-0.10
That version works good too, at least good enough till a new version arrives :)
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.9-nitro3 does the trick for yours truly - ET runs great with this baby (and with the new nvidia drivers) 8)
desertstalker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab the .12rc1 version of ndiswrapper from their site
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
abciximab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Keyboard issues Reply with quote

I have a weird problem since installing nitro3. It seems that everythink works fine but very very often if I press keys in a console or xterm I got the wrong characters. Also if I press Cursor-Up (or Down) I get 2B2B or 2A2A2A and so on!
Its annoying and I want to know if I am the only person who recognizes this problem and if there is a workaround without changing to an other kernel?

Greetings!
imp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard issues Reply with quote

abciximab wrote:
I have a weird problem since installing nitro3. It seems that everythink works fine but very very often if I press keys in a console or xterm I got the wrong characters. Also if I press Cursor-Up (or Down) I get 2B2B or 2A2A2A and so on!
Its annoying and I want to know if I am the only person who recognizes this problem and if there is a workaround without changing to an other kernel?

Greetings!

Happens to me, too.

First it acts like the Caps Lock is on, except for it isn't. Then, it keeps printing the same character as if the character key is stuck, not to mention that the Page Up/Down aren't working and other keys do strange things... The worst thing is that this issue isn't new at all: this has happened to other people with other nitros before.
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertstalker wrote:
grab the .12rc1 version of ndiswrapper from their site
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
\

That one compiles clean indeed. Thnx for the tip.
smg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one seppe :D
perl -WTe '($")=$/;print qq(@{[reverse('0'..'100')]}$/BOOM!$/);'
ConVicTioN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the workaround.
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo with NPTL support on an IBM Thinkpad R51 (laptop). Pentium-M ... I'm installing nitro-sources to get Reiser4 support.

When I make , I get
Quote:
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 139

Help..!
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Wherefor Reiser Four? Reply with quote

I can't get reiserfs4 support to build. The actual code is there, in /usr/src/linux/fs/reiser4 but menuconfig gives me no option to enable it. What am I doing wrong here?
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherefor Reiser Four? Reply with quote

wdreinhart wrote:
I can't get reiserfs4 support to build. The actual code is there, in /usr/src/linux/fs/reiser4 but menuconfig gives me no option to enable it. What am I doing wrong here?

You probabyl need to change the "4k-stacks" option in the kernel hacking section of the config. Reiser4 only works with 8k stacks at the moment.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherefor Reiser Four? Reply with quote

chunderbunny wrote:
You probabyl need to change the "4k-stacks" option in the kernel hacking section of the config. Reiser4 only works with 8k stacks at the moment.

Thanks! That fixed it.
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVicTioN wrote:
I get this error on the emerge of ndiswrapper. First time I am runing nitro source is there some thing I am missing patch/switch? What I noticed right away is the clipping/hitch on data load is gone. Loading tons of textures like in doom 3 is smooth no data pulling hitching. Would really like to run these sources ;).

Code:

CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.o
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692:63: macro "kthread_run" requires 5 arguments, but only 3 given
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c: In function `PsCreateSystemThread':
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692: error: `kthread_run' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.c:692: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver/ntoskernel.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ndiswrapper-0.11/work/ndiswrapper-0.11/driver'

!!! Compile Failed!

This error is, because ndiswrapper <0.12-rc1 doesn't work with software suspend 2. Since version 0.12-rc1 it works fine.

BTW. I'm glad to hear that the software suspend and win4lin from software-suspend-2.1.2-and-win4lin3-for-2.6.9-nitro2.patch works. That was difficuilt to do, so I'm verry happy now to hear that. Now I know that my job is helpfull for others. :)
Now I'm working on the patch from-software-suspend-2.1.2-to-software-suspend-2.1.5-for-2.6.9-nitro3 and I try to fix almost all bug in this patch and software-suspend-2.1.2-and-win4lin3-for-2.6.9-nitro2 patch. Tomorrow or max. day after tomorrow I'll relase that patches.

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
Sorry for my english, I know it's bad, but I think it's at least understandable ;)
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepek wrote:
ConVicTioN wrote:

Code:

!!! Compile Failed!

This error is, because ndiswrapper <0.12-rc1 doesn't work with software suspend 2. Since version 0.12-rc1 it works fine.

BTW. I'm glad to hear that the software suspend and win4lin from software-suspend-2.1.2-and-win4lin3-for-2.6.9-nitro2.patch works. That was difficuilt to do, so I'm verry happy now to hear that. Now I know that my job is helpfull for others. :)
Now I'm working on the patch from-software-suspend-2.1.2-to-software-suspend-2.1.5-for-2.6.9-nitro3 and I try to fix almost all bug in this patch and software-suspend-2.1.2-and-win4lin3-for-2.6.9-nitro2 patch. Tomorrow or max. day after tomorrow I'll relase that patches.

Cheers. 8)

I hope u succeed in it :) I really appreciated that patch.
Hibernate works like a charm (except for the regular fails which are caused by swsusp2 itself) And Win4Lin doesnt cause any problems either.

Thnx for ur hard work, and ofcourse, thnx to seppe too.
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
I really think that some patches should be dropped (especially supermount and like that). In my opinion new nitros are too bloated :|

No! Supermount is the single most useful patch. I can only wonder why it isn't in vanilla already (or I could go and read the exact reason on LKML).
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

dont you have any problems with this new kernel?

Since nitro-2.6.9-r2 i cant type anything on the keyboard because it seems he does power off USB at booting the kernel. As already said, i have this problem just since r2 ... i wasnt able to determine the problem so far...
garlicbread
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm
having a minor sound glitch / stutter when the number of channels used goes over a certain limit with snd-intel8x0
(ut24K on multiplayer when a lot of action is going on)
I've experianced this before on other 2.6 kernels sometimes (even with love), it's a bit pot luck as to which kernels it happens with so I don't think it's a nitro issue

I'm not sure if it's this kernel, the fact that I've set elevator to deadline or the new nvidia driver, but the graphics performance now kicks ass :D

Also I used to have Option "AutoRepeat" "500 5"
set in the xorg.conf to compensate for the keyboard repeat being too fast under X for a toshiba laptop, but I've found this is no longer required (as it has the opposite effect of making it too slow)

I was having issues with a USB mouse
a load of these messages were showing up in dmesg
Code:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro3/drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received
/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-nitro3/drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received
etc

Code:
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 3
usb 1-2: device not accepting address 3, error -71
usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 4
usb 1-2: device not accepting address 4, error -71
usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 5
midi: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5
input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Cypress Sem PS2/USB Browser Combo Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2

it would seem to work for a while but then eventualy cut out and the light on the mouse would go off
however since I removed that AutoRepeat option in xorg.conf, it seems to be behaving now ...weird

EDIT
found that the USB/Mouse problem is nothing to do with the kernel, but is the dodgy lead on my mouse instead :oops:

Last edited by garlicbread on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To wrote:
racoontje wrote:
Seppe, any chance of PaX/grsecurity being implemented?

I don't think that anyone will have that work for now, even grsecurity and PAX aren't updating for 2.6 and they had explain it on grsecurity forum.

They both seem to work for 2.6. Or do you mean their almost unmaintained state?
y0zza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SATA appears to be broken with my ICH5/i875P motherboard :(

Works in 2.6.8-nitro5 and 2.6.9-gentoo-r4.
lobster_mm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: reiser4 lockup Reply with quote

I've tried different kernel patchsets - mm, ck6, klak, redeeman, and nitro basically anything that supports reiser4. Now I am staying with nitro since no matter which patchsets I used, I get hard lockup every 2 to 3 days of use, but at least nitro gives my laptop the performance boost that I could enjoy.

I am starting to think that it might be a configuration issue that's causing the hard lockup. I have a T30 laptop which is a pentium 4 laptop with a 60G 5400 rpm harddrive. Most of my non-critical partitions are in reiser4 except for /home, /boot, and /storage. I could post my kernel .config file but basically I have reiser4 and preempt enabled, and internal timer freq. set to 1000.

Anyway, my question is whether anybody else have experienced similar lockup with reiser4? Or, is this a reiser4/preempt/new scheduler related issue?

Thanks a bunch!
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y0zza wrote:
SATA appears to be broken with my ICH5/i875P motherboard :(

Works in 2.6.8-nitro5 and 2.6.9-gentoo-r4.
$

yes, I have the same Problem, it does find my sata drive, so the kernel can boot. Any hints? Staying with the great working 2.6.9-nitro1
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Bugs, bugs and ... Reply with quote

Nitro2

#1: Flooding kernel log with messages about unknown scancode 00 being received. Note: the value is 00, and it gets flooded all the time (at pretty random rate), so it is not one of those multimedia keys in my keyboard or anything. And it happens even if the keyboard cable is disconnected.

#2: When using cursor keys in X, they randomly spit out numbers instead (about 30 % of keystrokes, or repeats, are incorrect) - as if I was using the equivalent keys on NUMPAD! Of course this is not the case and I'm using those keys that are between the main part and the numpad. Turning Num Lock off is a "workaround". I'm sure it still misdetects the keys as numpad, but with Num Lock disabled they perform the function I'd expect.

#2b: #2 does not occur in console, but the keyboard sometimes seems to be dropping lots of all keystrokes there. I think this might be related to #2 so that when keystrokes aren't received normally, console misses them completely, but X manages to grab them anyway, but does that somewhat incorrectly and thus the numbers.

#3: Keyboard crash (i.e. keyboard no longer works at all, not in console nor in X, but mouse, copy&paste and programs do), sometimes followed, few hours later, by entire system crash.

#4: Sound skipping a lot, with every sound card I have tried, but that I get with other kernels too. It seems that PC is not designed for 16 HDDs (or perhaps Linux RAID-5 or Reiser4 are badly implemented, causing high latencies).

Nitro3

#5: It gets errors trying to detect some of my IDE HDDs on boot (I am not sure, but I think these are the ITE8212 disks, not the NVIDIA CK8S ones). Update: this happens with the IDE version of the driver. The SCSI/SATA one (wtf would an IDE controller do there, I have no clue) still works fine.

All the old bugs are still here as well :/

---

I do not get those keyboard or crash problems with 2.6.9-cko2, but it doesn't support ITE8212 at all.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.9-nitro3 works pretty well, but it's a bit sluggish. I patched 2.6.9-ck3 with Reiser4 (from 2.6.9-mm1 broken-out) and it's noticable faster. Sad to say goodbye to nitro :| I don't need half of the patches and they just makes kernel more unstable...
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro3 on HP OmniBook Xe4500 - haven't found any bugs here yet :)

EDIT:
Software Suspend 2 won't resume. Hangs on "Loading old kernel (no status - this is sensitive!)" or whatever.
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel is registering a lot of IRQ#1, even though there really isn't any. This must be causing the messages about unknown scancodes... Another odd thing is that ERR is not zero. What causes this?

Code:

CPU0
  0:    2184863          XT-PIC  timer
  1:    4791237          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          3          XT-PIC  ohci1394
  7:     498155          XT-PIC  SysKonnect SK-98xx, libata
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:    5110445          XT-PIC  acpi, it8212, eth1
 10:     229165          XT-PIC  libata, ehci_hcd, ohci_hcd, ohci_hcd
 11:     176569          XT-PIC  libata, ICE1712, NVidia CK8S
 12:     421414          XT-PIC  nvidia
 14:         10          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     247393          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:    2184820
ERR:          6

Oh, and one or more of my HDDs just started making "funny" noises, as if they were reseting every few seconds or something. Argh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: