This is frustrating!!! Portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2 can't d/l
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanVP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: This is frustrating!!! Portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2 can't d/l Reply with quote

Well...this is very frustrating...I can't install 1.4 RC2 because emerge -u world craps out when it tries to download the Portage file. I can't download the Portage file because it is not in ibiblio and it times out on the Gentoo twobit site. I saw a similiar post a month ago but there was no resolution. And if there was a resolution, I could not locate it!

I can't be the only one with this problem and surely someone has gotten around to this or else I wouldn't be the only one posting this.

I have also noticed a particular pattern in responses to posts ratio in the Gentoo forums. Silly questions get the most responses while the most serious ones don't get much relatively. Gentoo may be a great product but technical support really sucks when it comes to getting answers quickly and effectively!
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: What to do when portage times-out on a new emerge.... Reply with quote

JonathanVP wrote:
Well...this is very frustrating...I can't install 1.4 RC2 because emerge -u world craps out when it tries to download the Portage file. I can't download the Portage file because it is not in ibiblio and it times out on the Gentoo twobit site. I saw a similiar post a month ago but there was no resolution. And if there was a resolution, I could not locate it!

I can't be the only one with this problem and surely someone has gotten around to this or else I wouldn't be the only one posting this.

Hi,

I found a work around for that, I don't know if you will like it. I assume your PORTDIR (in make.conf) is set to the default 'usr/portage'. I also assume you are using the default file fetcher wget.

Code:

# cd /usr/portage/distfiles
# wget -c  /url/to/file/you/want/to/continue

Here is a example:

Code:

bash-2.05b# emerge portage -p

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] sys-apps/portage-2.0.46-r9 [2.0.46-r8]

bash-2.05b# emerge portage -f
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.0.46-r9 to /
>>> Downloading http://gentoo.twobit.net/portage/portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2
--17:11:55--  http://gentoo.twobit.net/portage/portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2'
Resolving gentoo.twobit.net... done.
Connecting to gentoo.twobit.net[198.37.27.165]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 156,121 [application/x-tar]

6% [=>                                   ] 9,914          2.54K/s    ETA 00:56Killed

# # killed it to show I can restart it with a bit of hassle.
# # I not the URL where it was downloading the file from.

bash-2.05b# cd /usr/portage/distfiles
bash-2.05b# wget -c http://gentoo.twobit.net/portage/portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2
--17:12:57--  http://gentoo.twobit.net/portage/portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2
           => `portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2'
Resolving gentoo.twobit.net... done.
Connecting to gentoo.twobit.net[198.37.27.165]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
Length: 156,121 (146,207 to go) [application/x-tar]

100%[====================================>] 156,121        2.54K/s    ETA 00:00

17:14:14 (2.54 KB/s) - `portage-2.0.46-r9.tar.bz2' saved [156121/156121]

Success! If it times out again..repeat the 'wget-c ' comand above.

JonathanVP wrote:
I have also noticed a particular pattern in responses to posts ratio in the Gentoo forums. Silly questions get the most responses while the most serious ones don't get much relatively. Gentoo may be a great product but technical support really sucks when it comes to getting answers quickly and effectively!

That is a pattern you will probably see in politics among other things. ;)

If you are paying for technical support, maybe I can help you locate some place to complain. Money can help get those answers quickly and effectively.

Hope this helps,

--Kutsuya

EDIT: noticed a typo
JonathanVP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Thanks!!! Did the trick! Reply with quote

Kutsuya,
Thanks!!! It did the trick! Finally, an answer that works! For some strange reason, I had to reexecute the wget command several times to get the portage file. I don't know why it is happening to that particular file since I was able to get all the other files easily. I am now in the process of installing rc2 again!
Thanks again!
Jonathan
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!!! Did the trick! Reply with quote

JonathanVP wrote:
Kutsuya,
Thanks!!! It did the trick! Finally, an answer that works! For some strange reason, I had to reexecute the wget command several times to get the portage file. I don't know why it is happening to that particular file since I was able to get all the other files easily. I am now in the process of installing rc2 again!
Thanks again!
Jonathan

Jonathan,

You are welcome. Glad it worked. :D It's possible that URL was having alot of work to do, or it has problems.

I have to use the 'trick' often myself...slow dial-up connect...2-hour time limit.

Good luck on your install, Jonathan. :)

Kutsuya
JonathanVP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Dialup?! Reply with quote

Dial-up? Sorry about that! I have DSL so things run smoothly (unless of course I get weird download problems like this!)
Jonathan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: