View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Openbox, Blackbox,....etc. Question Reply with quote

I wanted to make sure about something. It appears that the menu system in these window managers is the same for all users. If I make a change in the menu layout logged in as a user it will also change it for all other users(and root). I noticed this in the way I had to get bbconf to work in Openbox, the only way to do it was to symlink the ~/.blackbox/menu file(user specific) to the usr/share/commonbox/menu file(global file) thus making different menus for different users moot. Is this correct?
zleepy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u want to make a userspecific menu u just copy the usr/share/commonbox/menu file to ~/.blackbox/menu and edit it in your favorite text editor, its not to hard.

Not sure if this is exactly what u asked for but my english aint the best. :wink:
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what it comes down to, in these window managers, can one users menu have different menu selections(programs) than another users menu? I ask because from what I see here the answer is no.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, each user can have their own specific menu. I use fluxbox and in my configuration file (I think it is calle init file in the .fluxbox directory) it points to my .fluxbox/menu file rather than /usr/share/commonbox/menu file.

You will need to manually edit your menu. it isn't too hard once you get the hang of it.

Hope this makes sense.

C
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your right. After messing around a little bit here I edited my .blackboxrc file and pointed it from /usr/share/commonbox/menu to ~/.blackbox/blackboxmenu. Worked like a charm on my Laptop now I need to figure out why it's not working on my Midtower, I'll figure it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: