XMMS and Mplayer, broken after emerge -u world
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: XMMS and Mplayer, broken after emerge -u world Reply with quote

My mplayer and xmms no longer work (mplayer may never have worked, I actually hadn't tried it up until this point).
Whenever I try to load them I see the hourglass pop up showing that it is trying to load but eventually nothing is loaded and the process just dies. Since they're both multimedia apps, I am assuming that the problem is related.

I have recently done and emerge -u world which updated from kde 3.0.4 to 3.0.5a, and alsa from rc2 to rc6 among many other upgrades.

Other multimedia things still work: Noaturn, midi, and sound still plays when kde starts up. So for the most part the kde and alsa installations seem to have gone well.

Obviously nobody is going to be able to tell me what is wrong from this short description, but can Anybody give me an idea on how to start diagnosing this problem?
jetblack
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem (with xmms, I don't use mplayer). For me, it turned out that xmms and arts weren't playing nice. I got xmms to work by unmerging arts

Code:
emerge unmerge arts

I found this link today that seems to show how to get them to work together again:

http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/16695.html

I won't be able to test this until I get home tonight, though.

Unmerging arts will probably break some apps that you wouldn't expect. For example, I had to remerge gaim with "USE=-arts" to get it working again after unmerging arts.

Hope this helps.

[Edit]
Of course, unmerging arts will also displease noatun and kill your KDE sounds. That wasn't a big deal for me, I'd much rather have XMMS, but you may want to keep that in mind.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, unmerging arts will also displease noatun and kill your KDE sounds. That wasn't a big deal for me, I'd much rather have XMMS, but you may want to keep that in mind.
I really don't want to have to compromise some functionality for others.

Do you think that it might be possible to get everything playing nice by downgrading arts to 1.0.4 from 1.0.5a? I'm assuming that it was 1.0.4 prior to the kde upgrade.
jetblack
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I suppose it's possible that downgrading arts would fix the problem (it stands to reason that it would), but I'm really not sure. I'll let you know if I have any success getting them to coexist with that other method I linked to.

If you've got the time to spare, you could try unmerging arts to see if that fixes the problem, and then just remerge it when you're done. Or perhaps you could just suspend it as outlined in that link I posted. If neither suspending arts nor unmerging it (and restarting x) helps, then there's no point in downgrading it :)

Also, you could try emerging xmms-arts to see if that helps (if you're using alsa-xmms, you'd probably want to unmerge that). You may want to try that first. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Unfortunately, I can't test any of these myself right now, but I'll certainly let you know if I have any success with any of these options tonight or tomorrow.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I just got home, and started up fluxbox, and sure enough, both xmms and mplayer work. So, the problem is with kde 3.0.5a.

I may just wait until another update is released for these programs rather than mess with anything.
jetblack
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I tried suspending arts, and it didn't help. I didn't bother with xmms-arts, because I'd rather just use alsa. So, I'd say either unmerge arts or wait for an update. Hopefully they'll correct the behavior.

Also, I noticed that now that I have KDE looking the way I want, it's basically fluxbox with the kicker, so I'll probably just go back to flux, too :)
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have noticed that neither xmms nor mplayer will work if arts is running. all that i do to fix that is a quick
Code:
 killall arts
(it may be artsd, i don't remember). after doing that, both run fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: