Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gnome GRP not recognized by system // clean gnome files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: gnome GRP not recognized by system // clean gnome files? Reply with quote

i installed a stage3 of gentoo1.4rc2 and installed the GRP binaries of X, kde, mozilla, and gnome. why? because i can!

but why is neither here nor there :P

the problem is this. the system has no freaking idea that gnome is installed. no idea that any gnome libs exist whatsoever. however, i can see that gnome is taking up a good deal of disk space and exists in many many places all over my system.

a) i want to enable gnome because otherwise it is completely useless to me and i have no need for excess baggage

if i can't get it working or somehow "initialized" then...

b) i want to gnome how to remove ALL of the gnome files so if i re-emerge it, it's nice and fresh. if i emerge now, the new install seems like it will go in different folders because there are some folders named gnome-2.0x.0 or what have you.

if i do emerge gnome it says that it's going to emerge gnome. doesn't say that it's going to update or replace anything. emerge unmerge gnome doesn't work either. says it's not installed.

NOTE: i don't use gnome OR kde. i wanted to try them out just for shits and giggles. i use fluxbox as my primary gui.

any ideas?

ryan
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does no one know how to fix this?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• One way I can think of, would be to find out what version the GRP uses. Then, manually compile it wihout installing to the live directories. Example:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome
    # ebuild gnome-2.0.3-r1.ebuild install

The "install" option for the ebuild command will do the emerge process, but stop short of installing everything to the live filesystem. From here, you can look at /var/tmp/portage/gnome-2.0.3-r1/image/ to see what it would install. Not pretty, and I'm sure there would be a better way.
  • After all that, something similar to this might work (my comments/experience with that post).
  • Another option would be to dissect whatever it is that installs it to begin with. Since it is binary, the files have to already exist.

dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that you might have to run the GRP install for KDE and Gnome a few times before it completely finishes.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=28846
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: