using new nitro sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpalmer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: using new nitro sources Reply with quote

I've been following the nptl 'developer's method' install guide ( https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=189250 ), but I wanted to use the new nitro sources instead of gentoo-dev-sources

after emerging system (and a few others) and setting the date, i got the .ebuild, put it in a portage_overlay directory and ran (sorry, i don't remember filenames and paths off the top of my head)

Code:
ebuild /(path)/nitro-sources-3.whatever.ebuild digest

is this what i should have done? this is my first attempt at it all--what all is included in an 'emerge,' and how is it different from an 'ebuild'? should i have gone though some of the 'kernal configuration' stuff before this?

i've been picking things up pretty quickly, but i'm a little unsure about this one...

and please, if i totally screwed stuff up, give me an idea how to fix it ;)
FireBee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Ebuild and emerge Reply with quote

you ebuild [file] digest then you emerge it. Emerge uses the information in ebuilds to download and compile the sources. Most of the programs get their ebuilds from the portage tree, but in some cases you have to download the ebuild.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to create a directory "/usr/local/portage"
Then put "PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage" in your make.conf

Then go into /usr/local/portage and create a subdirectory of "sys-kernel" and inside that directory create one called "nitro-sources."

Then put the ebuild file into "/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources"

Now "cd /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources"

After that do "ebuild ebuild_name digest"; this downloads the files and adds them to the "digest" which is just a file that has the md5sums of each file.

After that finishes you can install it by doing "emerge nitro-sources."

And the difference between the "emerge" program and the "ebuild" program is that "emerge" downloads and installs based on an .ebuild file. The "ebuild" program uses and .ebuild file, downloads the files, and creates the md5sum data needed by emerge.
mpalmer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to you both. the procedure described above is exactly what i've done so far (except 'emerge'). :D
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks slycordinator. I was having some trouble figuring out what I had to do with different guides and tips here and there, but your post was perfect. Now I'm also using the nitro sources. Thanks again :D
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: