View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_tez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Cedega Warcraft 3 Issue Reply with quote

Nitro2 may be blazing fast at ut2004 and Doom3 but when I'm trying to play Warcraft 3 using Cedega 4.1, the IO for the hard drive has such low priority that the sound effect end up being SEVERELY delayed.

My control of the units and such in an online game worked fine. I'll test with ck3 and report back my findings as I imagine nitro3 may use those patches as well....
randomguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled the kernel, with no results... and when I run modules update nothing happens...
l0tus_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-bloack(3,3)

keep getting this error with nitro2.
grub.conf is
Code:
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/nitro-sources root=/dev/hda3

it boots up but when it tries to mout root it cant. i did not check the 4kb option in the kernel. anyone have any ideas? do i need to manually patch the kernel (i thought it was patched automaticall when ebuild and emerge it).

Last edited by l0tus_ on Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
sir_tez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the ck3 kernel and got the same error in Warcraft 3 along with that nifty kswapd bug of death. I'm using 1GB lowmem. libata with the Silcon Image sata driver under scsi.
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l0tus_ wrote:
Code:
Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-bloack(3,3)

keep getting this error with nitro2.
grub.conf is
Code:
root (hd0,0)

it boots up but when it tries to mout root it cant. i did not check the 4kb option in the kernel. anyone have any ideas? do i need to manually patch the kernel (i thought it was patched automaticall when ebuild and emerge it).

It might be nice to know what fs is on the to be mounted partition :)
Did u indeed compile the modules for that fs in the kernel?
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepek wrote:
Hi all !
As I read in this topic is problem with win4lin and software-suspend 2 with nitro2. I read that win4lin + nitro2 works fine, swsusp2 + nitro2 works fine too, but win4lin + swsusp2 + nitro2 doesn't compile. So I've made some patch for that problems. This patch include software_suspend-2.1.2 and win4lin. It's now work fine for me with fbsplash and vesafb-tng, but I don't use win4lin and swsusp, so I don't test that and this post is request for tests. You can download patch here : http://www.pepek.neostrada.pl/software_suspend-2.1.2-and-win4lin3-for-2.6.9-nitro2.tar.bz2 and this is archive with software_suspend directory and patch is in that directory. For patch your 2.6.9-nitro2 kernel try sth like this :
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 <path_to_patch

Cheers. 8)

Dunno how u did it :) but thnx mate.. Gonna try this one

[edit]
Why does it do this....:
Code:

patching file net/sunrpc/svcsock.c
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

Thats not nice... stops my kernel once more from compiling :)
[/edit]
l0tus_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryceck wrote:
It might be nice to know what fs is on the to be mounted partition :)
Did u indeed compile the modules for that fs in the kernel?

Code:
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/hda3               /               reiser4         noatime                 0 2
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0

none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

Code:
default 0
timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.9-nitro2
root (hd0,0)

i used nitro2 kernel and and compiled it with support for both reiser4 and ext2.

Last edited by l0tus_ on Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cedega Warcraft 3 Issue Reply with quote

sir_tez wrote:
Nitro2 may be blazing fast at ut2004 and Doom3 but when I'm trying to play Warcraft 3 using Cedega 4.1, the IO for the hard drive has such low priority that the sound effect end up being SEVERELY delayed.

WineX based things are known to have scheduling trouble with 2.6 and even more so with staircase. Make sure wineX and your games are all run nice 0. If there's still a problem, try nice +19.
sir_tez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cedega Warcraft 3 Issue Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
sir_tez wrote:

WineX based things are known to have scheduling trouble with 2.6 and even more so with staircase. Make sure wineX and your games are all run nice 0. If there's still a problem, try nice +19.

Would I have to be root to run a game as nice 0? What would be the syntax of that?

nice 0 'cedega war3.exe'
Pepek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryceck wrote:
Why does it do this....:
Code:

patching file net/sunrpc/svcsock.c
Thats not nice... stops my kernel once more from compiling :)

Maybe your's download file is corrupted. Try download again. I download this and patch is ok for me (without this "patch unexpectedly..."). If you will have this problem again, then f**k it and try compile (net/sunrpc/svcsock.c is the last patching file in my patch).

Cheers. 8)
For Other users :
Sorry for my english, I know it's bad, but I think it's at least understandable ;)
thecrazyperson_ws
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for b0rkage. I finally got a machine running with gentoo 2004.2 and I tried making 2.6.9-nitro2 last night.... no go. It seems like the ancient as fsck laptop that I'm using doesn't like the nitro set. The last nitro I got to run on this thing was 2.6.9-rc1-nitro1 :cry:

Also, why is vesafb-tng always broke? I can never seem to get it to work, but oh well. VesaFB eats up way too much CPU time, so I just run consoles in real mode.

Gagazet: Pentium 2-266, 288M ram, 240G HD, currently installing gentoo

Besaid: p-150, 80M ram, win2k pro
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cedega Warcraft 3 Issue Reply with quote

sir_tez wrote:
bollucks wrote:
sir_tez wrote:

Would I have to be root to run a game as nice 0? What would be the syntax of that?

nice 0 'cedega war3.exe'

You only need root privileges to get a negative nice value. Staircase is designed to run all userspace things at nice 0 or positive. Some wrappers for X, UT, cedega etc will start them -nice using special sudo privileges. The eaisest way to check is to look in the NI (nice) column when running 'top'. Check that X and cedega are 0. If they are and you're having audio troubles, try cedega at nice 19 using the syntax above.
Robin79
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damma my system keeps rebooting sometimes! Need new nitro :) i dont know why and when but after 6 days of uptime it rebooted when i was a sleep grrrrrrrrr shit the same it works nice anyway
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin79 wrote:
Damma my system keeps rebooting sometimes! Need new nitro :) i dont know why and when but after 6 days of uptime it rebooted when i was a sleep grrrrrrrrr shit the same it works nice anyway
Random rebooting is usually a hardware problem or a kernel bug. I guess you can hope its the latter. I went back to good ole' 2.6.10 vanilla and things have been fine for me since.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: