tunneling _everything_ over SSH
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: tunneling _everything_ over SSH Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've got some problem with our local university network. Using the wavelan, everthing but ssh is blocked. I can only reach computers inside the science-net, outside only over ssh. This is enough for most of my work, but sometimes I just don't want to change the computer just to read gentoo-forums. ;-)

Tunneling IMAP, SMTP & Co works fine, since I know which computer to forward the packages to. But what about things like http?

Well, my question now is: how can I establish some kind of ssh-tunnel (stunnel?) to some computer which has a "full" connection to the net so that all my outgoing traffic is routed over this computer?

Thanks a lot,
Marcel
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is a VPN between your PC and the "outside" pc. Futhermore your "outside" pc should be set up as gateway (ipmasq). There are plenty on VPN HOWTOs available on the internet that'll get you started.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sven,

thank you for your tip. I already feared that it wouldn't be as easy as just creating a ssh-tunnel ;-)

Can you recommend freeswan for this?
Gaidin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VPN would be an "everything" solution but if you can limit yourself to what you have already tunneled plus install a web proxy on an outside machine, you should be able to browse the web that way.

It's not ideal but I've used junkbuster (banner ad blocking web proxy) in the past over SSH. I'm sure you could use Squid or possibly a lighter web proxy.

I've had my share of issues trying to get vpn stuff to work right under linux (allowing internal masq'd clients to connect to external vpns, getting gateway box to connect to windows vpn, etc).

Gaidin
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend any VPN-software that you want. Some ppl like to set everything up themselves, others want a simpel tool. Just surf to the websites and check if you like the software.
Kosmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have once read a howto for a VPN using ppp and ssh, and that didn't seem to difficult to set up. I never actually performed such a setup though.

Here it is:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/ppp-ssh.html
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the ppp-ssh scheme as described in the howto for a while, but for some reason it kept crashing the entire system (kernel panic!) I think this was probably version specific to the (relatively old) kernel. Since then I've used vpnd which works. I've upgraded the original machine now but haven't had a chance to try ppp-ssh with it.

I'd give it a go...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: