Quick Search: in
from '#' to gui... what to "emerge"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysticalSyphilis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: from '#' to gui... what to "emerge" Reply with quote

Rank newbie question (maybe should be in the "newbie" forum, but deals directly with X, so posting here):

Once my basic gentoo install is complete and I've rebooted to that fantastic root prompt, what packages are needed, and in what order, to get BlackBox running (or KDE3, if I'm feeling bloaty)?

Also, any recs for a window manager other than BlackBox (or Window Maker)? Seeking lean n' fast, as I've grown weary of the 10-second load time for Konq in KDE 2.2.2. But still would like something like the Kicker panel, and a "fuzzy clock" would be superb. I'd like to steer clear of gnome, but just because that foot frightens me in a Monty Python sort of way.

And off the window manager topic completely, would anyone care to fill me in on whether there's an equivalent of 'mkbootdisk' to be had with this distro?

Itchingly, burningly yours,

-MystSyph
clacour

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Emerging KDE/Blackbox/Gnome etc. Reply with quote

It's very simple. Just issue the command
Code:
emerge --pretend kde

or
Code:
emerge --pretend blackbox

The package resolution that emerge does will figure out which other packages (including X) that you need before you can emerge the particular package you named.

Run it without the "--pretend" to do it for real.

Be warned, it's going to take a LONG time.
freefall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try IceWM. It´s my favourite lightweight wm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both tips! Will see if I can avoid a "learning experience" this weekend like I had last weekend...

And I guess I don't really need a substitute for mkbootdisk - I'll just plant GRUB in the MBR instead of my /boot directory and let it handle my NT side, too. Can always 'fixmbr' if I need to do something different in the future.

Thanks again - mucho helpful forum!
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to start any wars here, but if you liked black box you might want to check out FluxBox (if you haven't already). It is BB with some extras thrown in. Still very fast and light weight.
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MystSyph,

what are your machine specs?

-S
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Fast Desktop Env. Reply with quote

If you are looking for fast GUI, specially if you are like me and vnc into your box all the time, then I suggest fluxbox (im tryign it for the first time) and goodol WindowMaker. These two are highly configurable and don't try to imitate some shi**y OS gui's. They are great for monitoring and when you vnc using these guis they are lightning fast. I am a big WM fan, but fluxbox is definitly more minimilistic....still playing around with it.

Quote:

emerge WindowMaker

Quote:

emerge fluxbox

also if ever in doubt you can always do
Quote:

emerge --search <string>

hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: