Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can Cyrus IMAP store mail in a maildir format?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbrese
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Can Cyrus IMAP store mail in a maildir format? Reply with quote

I've seen some conflicting information about Cyrus IMAP. Some times it looks like it can store mail in a maildir format, then I found Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO and read this:
Quote:

Unlike the WU-IMAPd Cyrus is using its own method to store the users mail. The data is stored in a database, this makes Cyrus so performant. Especially with lots of users and/or lot of big emails, there is nothing such fast as the Cyrus IMAP-server.

I'm currently running a postfix/courier-imap/MySQL/squirrelmail based mail server and it's working good. I would like to add server side mail filtering support and don't want learn procmail (plus it doesn't seem to work for virtual users). Sieve looks like very good solution.

If cyrus-imap can't store mail in the maildir format, how much work would it be to move current maildir mail over.

Also, I like how maildir keeps each email as a separate file, what does cyrus-imap do?
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) cyrus can't do maildir, as cyrus has its own security system (everything belongs to user cyrus, making the system more secure)

2) cyrus stores each email as a single file, which is why reiserfs is really good for your mail server ;) It also uses database files to index these files

3) Moving the maildir over could be a hassle if there are many folders, as i think you have to move each folder speperately.

cyrus is fast and quite secure, but it can be a little hassle to set up sometimes, but its defenitely worth the work !
cbrese
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have too much mail to move over so doing it one folder at a time won't be too be of a deal. Is there a utility/script to convert maildir into the Cyrus format?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: