Compiling on AMD 1400 and merging on Pentium 83 server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sfynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Compiling on AMD 1400 and merging on Pentium 83 server Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo on my server for about a month now, and it works great :D however, I searched for a solution for the following problem but could not find anything:

My server is not very fast (a Pentium OverDrive 83 MHz chip on a 486 mainboard), it just does some routing and traffic management. I installed Gentoo on it by temporarily putting the server HD into my AMD T-bird 1400 MHz machine, and compiled everything I needed for the 586 architecture of my server... this took a few hours instead of weeks ;)

Well now.. I want to update the server on a regular basis, but as I said earlier, an emerge --update world can take a very long time on my slow server if a new version of a relatively big package is found. Is it possible to compile the stuff on my AMD 1400 and then merge it into the server filesystem? I tried to mount the root filesystem of the server as NFS root on my AMD 1400, but I got time problems and LOTs of network traffic that way... is there a variable that I can change so that a merge no longer takes place to / ? (then I could just mount my server to a directory on my AMD and merge it there)...
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use
Quote:
emerge -b ....
to compile binary packages, now you only need to do emerge -p --update world on your pent. sys. to get the package that need recompiling.... 'm need a script...... not on my gentoo box right now, but maybe you can figure it out yourself, it aint that difficult.

After compiling cp to pent and use emerge -b ..... or -usepkg it should then use the compiled tbz2.

If you wanted a script, your out of luck I just can't think straight at the moment, but I'm sure somebody else can help you, Sry lX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: