multiple pages bug?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: multiple pages bug? Reply with quote

on

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=28570&start=0

is see only page 1 of 1, although there should be two pages - when u toggle 'newest first' / 'oldest first' at the bottom of the page, the last respective first message doesnt display. in addition there are no multiple-page links on the 'Installing Gentoo' forum index. tested on different browsers. oh and im sitting behind a squid, but the reloading seems to be ok... so this might be a bug...

on other multiple-pages forums i dont have similar problems...perhaps one of the admins can look into this one - the last post in the thread describes a step by step workaround for the perl-5.6.1-r10 blocker-bug for gentoo-1.4_rc2 installations, which might be interesting for some people ;)

UPDATE 1: when editing the last msg in the thread i get 'page 2 of 1', see the screenshot at:

http://testosteron.htu.tuwien.ac.at/gf-bug.gif
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the bug where when a posting fails partway through (used to happen from time to time when the server was thrashing, that hasn't happened recently - failed email notification is another cause), the posting itself gets added, but some other tables (like the one that tells how many pages to have for a thread) don't get updated properly.

I think the long-term workaround is to have a cron job that synchronizes the tables. It's on my to-do list, but if anybody familiar with phpBB understands or has solved the issue, that would be great.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
It's on my to-do list, but if anybody familiar with phpBB understands or has solved the issue, that would be great.

The title of the software gives away the problem. PHP? Swap over to a perl based forum if you can find one as fancy.

8)

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same prob happening in the "e17 works on gnetoo yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" thread...
weird thing is i get a "Could not send mail" error when i try to post a reply, too...strange
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockup wrote:
same prob happening in the "e17 works on gnetoo yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" thread...
weird thing is i get a "Could not send mail" error when i try to post a reply, too...strange
Those are related: "Could not send email" will cause the thread post count not to be bumped, and those posts do not cause new pages to be created.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while we are at forum bugs...

when using ssl (https) - its a bit anoying to get the 'this site contains secure and insecure contents - load anyway? y|n' whenever theres the icq online indicator on a page, theres a hack to get rid of this - if someone cares to implement it i can send it to you...

there is a working example of this hack

UPDATE: oops :oops:, just realized that off site linking of avatars is allowed - the solution i used so far doesnt cover this - but i think it could be expaned to deal with this too
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, SSL access is officially unsupported, because of the extra load that it places on the server. Please don't normally access the forums using https. This may change in the future, or https access may suddenly be disabled if the server is getting bogged down.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: