Documentation Formats
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Documentation Formats Reply with quote

I was wondering if a nice printable format of the documentation could be added to the website. I'm very impressed with the through nature of the document and the formatting is extremely nice. However, I'm installing on my computer at home and while I'm installing I don't have access to the nice html docs. I can print them off at school, but printing from internet browsers isn't an exact science and a lot of time the margins get cut or in some cases horribly maimed. What about posting the docs in a print-optimized postscript or pdf?

EDITED: Sorry about not posting this under the Suggestions category. I was thinking about what I was going to be doing to install things over the weekend and thought the docs would be helpful. Is there a way to move a post from one section to another?
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless you're a moderator.

My install doc for gentoo just got the maiming you mentioned. Had to fill in with a pen... :roll:
salsashark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: PDF Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a couple of friends that were looking to me to the be the groundbreaker on trying this distro.

Once I quit making dumb mistakes and finally got the whole install right, I debated going back and making my own changes to the install doc and ripping out a PDF. I still am, actually, if for nothing else than to document my steps in case of future calamity.

Perhaps we could talk the developers into letting put together a kind of working install PDF, with lots of pertinent information like "yes, most people aren't getting the new prompt during install", and "here are some common benchmarks (based on user input via poll) for how long X + KDE/GNOME/Whatever takes to emerge"

It'd help to have install FAQ admins handling this stuff. I'd volunteer to help with some of the writing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: