Howdy and Sharing Contacts with Thunderbird
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jludwig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Howdy and Sharing Contacts with Thunderbird Reply with quote

Hi gang...

First a hello, I'm new to gentoo, just got it up and running with IceWM. I've run SuSE, Redhat, Debian, FC1, FC2, and Mandrake and so far I'm impressed, but we'll see how longs it takes until I break portage :)

I'm in the academic field and unfortunately there are some "killer apps" that are Windows only that don't run so well with wine, so like many of you I'm forced to dual boot (if only my advisor would use bibtek)... For email IMAP makes things nice here, but the problem I have is sync'ing contacts in Thunderbird, add a contact on one side, don't have the addy on the other. I realize I could mount my window partition and use that as home but its NTFS and PM won't change it... I also have my desktop at home I would like to keep up to speed. Any tools/plugins or functionality I'm missing? Any ideas...?

Cheers,
Jeff
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about putting the stuff on an internet server and using for example lufs or sshfs to get to it? I'm on that quest right now :-)
Kryptik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just put the thunderbird files on a fat32 partition? I use that setting as well for over a year now and did not have had any problems with it.

It's certainly not that hyper-performing, sure. Never noticed performance issues though.

EDIT: welcome on board, btw. :)
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryptik wrote:
Why don't you just put the thunderbird files on a fat32 partition? I use that setting as well for over a year now and did not have had any problems with it.

It's certainly not that hyper-performing, sure. Never noticed performance issues though.

EDIT: welcome on board, btw. :)

Imagine you got your boxes spread over various locations!
Kryptik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried lufs, but I had horrible experiences with shfs performance-wise. Do you use lufs? How are your experiences?

For me, I feel it's more comfortable to carry my notebook with me. It's a dual boot Win2k (sound) and Gentoo (everything else) box and with the shared fat32 partition I have access to my mails at home, at work, at the studio - even in the train (offline or online via bluetooth/mobile).

shfs was terribly slow for me even on a DSL connection, never dared to try it over gprs.

Not that I disliked the idea of having remote access to my stuff whenever and wherever I wanted, of course. I just never found a solution that satisfied me performance- and security-wise.

Nevertheless I think shfs is pretty cool - for small files, connecting two linux boxes on the fly, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: