best setup for mailserver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prolix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: best setup for mailserver Reply with quote

i'm building a new mailserver. currently i run sendmail with qpopper but i've had enough of sendmail.

i'm looking at postfix, but have also seen some interesting posts about qmail

basically here is what i need:

smtp, pop3 access, decent relay control (smtp auth maybe?) and i run around 3 virtual hosts so nice virtual mail hosts is a plus

i'd appreciate some suggestions as to the best setup. i want something thats reasonably clean to setup and something secure.

thanks!
upnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, let me tell you about the setup I have that works flawlessly.

I've got:
- sendmail (8.12.2) sending and recieving the mail using SMTP Auth for relaying
- procmail delivering to users for sendmail in Maildir format
- Courier doing pop3 and IMAP for users
- SquirrelMail doing webmail
- Spamassassin

I do virtual hosting for a number of domains (over 80 last count). This could scale for a massive amount of mail if webmail was done on a different machine.

So, this probably doesn't help you if you've "had enough of sendmail". like most things under UNIX, it takes some time to learn things and under stand the concepts. I by no means know how to make sendmail do half the stuff it's capable of, but I know enough to make it do what I want and should I need to there's an inifinite amount of features.

If you're willing I'll help out with the inital setup with sendmail, otherwise I'd reccomend Postfix. qmail rubs me the wrong way (using the /var filesystem for binaries, etc)
prolix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not dead set against using sendmail again if its the best option. i've been using it for the past 5 years on a number of servers and have always managed to get it reconfigured and working how i want with no problem, however i've always had issues getting smtp auth working so i had lots of relay issues for a while. i did get that fixed, but its time to build a new server and from what i've read postfix is supposedly more straightforward. i haven't installed postfix though so i'm not sure.

in the past i've always used qpopper for pop3, never had a use for imap although i'll probably install webmail on this new server so i could switch to courier and handle both

the setup you have sounds good, i may give that a shot. there seem to be so many choices out there to handle all the aspects of a mail server, its just tough picking out which pieces fit and work well together.

thanks
upnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of options.

I guess I can't help you pick which one is best. I told you my setup, and like I said, works flawlessly. Get a good operating system underneath that and it's up 24/7 through good times and bad (mailbombing being the bad..).
prolix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. i'm still researching a bit, i have a server in place and for once i'm not reloading a new one in a rush so i can take my time in figuring out a soluition.

found this article on postfix's website. interesting idea. all the configs and whatnot are in mysql

http://kirb.insanegenius.net/postfix.html

may try this out later
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: