Wallpapers, colors and desktop usability
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Wallpapers, colors and desktop usability Reply with quote

EDIT: Split off from New gentoo wallpaper. -- pjp

It is nice to see people making all kinds of wallpapers, but there is one thing wrong with all of them (Please, don't take this as an attack, it is not!).

What is wrong?
The image is too bright! If this is supposed to be a wallpaper on your desktop, it needs to be a lot more subdued. It should allow for icons and text to be readable. By using some of the wallpapers here, it is not and it fails to make a nice background image on my desktop. It becomes a foreground image rather.

Anyone else?

Erik
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
It is nice to see people making all kinds of wallpapers, but there is one thing wrong with all of them (Please, don't take this as an attack, it is not!).

What is wrong?
The image is too bright! If this is supposed to be a wallpaper on your desktop, it needs to be a lot more subdued. It should allow for icons and text to be readable. By using some of the wallpapers here, it is not and it fails to make a nice background image on my desktop. It becomes a foreground image rather.

Anyone else?

Erik

I won't regard this as an attack, just state my opinion. This things are a matter of taste. You can use the emerged in ice (dark version), Fantasy Bicycle or emergence wallpapers I've created, which are quite dark.

You can find previews and download links on: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/graphics.xml

When I created "emerged in ice" people asked for a lighter version, since this things are are a metter of taste I've created a lighter version of those (some people are asking even for bright shiny reflective surfaces).

In order to make them useable by most, I usually create the wallpapers with edges darker than the image in the center. If you use a light wallpaper, you can always use darker text color for the icons text.

I'm using the kde on gentoo wp right now with the (single) icon's text color in white which is pretty useable.

IMHO icons on the desktop is a bad thing. To click them one must minimize all windows to launch an app. Placing them on a quick launch bar (if you're using a DE) or somewhere else is better. When I'm in KDE, the only Icon I have on the desktop is the trash can.

Many use other WMs (fluxbox seems popular among Gentoo users), which don't have Icons on the desktop to begin with.

Had to state my 2c 8)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mksoft and others!
I do appreciate the work you guys do on the artistic side.

While Mksoft makes some valid points about the use of desktop, me way of working is a little different maybe and I prefer Icons on the desktop in many ways. I use 10 desktops and when I need to launch an ad-hoc program, I just switch to an empty dekstop, click the icon to start the program :) So, to me a background image is at its best when it is exactly that, a background image. It's almost like transparent menus, they work best when the transparency is not too obvious, that way you can actually read the menus. Same goes for background images as well.

That's of course just my lousy $ 0.02! :wink:

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To illustrate what I mean, I have taken the image posted by Mksoft above and tweaked it so it looks better on my desktop. I will remove the image from Deskmod in a few days unless MkSoft gives me permission to leave his work of art there (I know you probably think it looks ugly now :) )

It's just a quick hack to underline my previous post. I am not an artist and it is not a finished product and it is not even my work, give credit to Mksoft for the original work.

Check it out here

Erik
[/img]
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, I think I'm blind :D

All the contrast is gone. Anyway, you can leave it there if you wish, but please add links to the original work (and due credit).
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head hurts!!!!

I would delete this thread, if only I could find the delete button now.... :x

I'll be back, with my sunglasses 8)
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Uh Reply with quote

What's all this crap about background images being too light or bright?

White backgrounds and black text do pretty well for, say, ooo, 80% of the internet.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Bloody! (Maybe I should take off mine?)

Mksoft, it was just an example and I'll remove it.

My point was just that by toning down the image, I find it more suitable as a background on a desktop that I use for a lot more than just sitting there as a pretty picture :)

Erik
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding, of course.

I prefer darker wallpapers, as they stress less your eyes. For my terminals, I use white letters in a black backgrounds. Your wallpapers are a little bit too colourfull for my taste 8)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
I was just kidding, of course.

I prefer darker wallpapers, as they stress less your eyes. For my terminals, I use white letters in a black backgrounds. Your wallpapers are a little bit too colourfull for my taste 8)

I am the opposite!

I find that white text on black really stresses my eyes to limit, they start to hurt. (Probably the age that kicks in, who knows?)

On another note, I have read a lot of ergonomic studies about use of colors and fonts, and all of them concludes with that the best thing from an ergonomic perspective is to use subdued colors and fonts that are easy to read in all sizes. When you spend several hours every day in front of a monitor, the last thing you want is headache because of staring at some really "loud" colors and pcitures.

Erik
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I took a course on "Man-machine interaction", and the instructor sweared that the best colour combination was amber foreground and black background....
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Once I took a course on "Man-machine interaction", and the instructor sweared that the best colour combination was amber foreground and black background....

I had one of those amber monitors back in the 80's. It was nice, but with more colors I have always found that the best combination is weaker colors, neither too dark nor too light. That way I can spend many, many hours in front of the screen without getting headaches :)

Erik
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like the colorful backgrounds for several reasons. I think they look much nicer than something that's mostly black or mostly white. I use a shaded aterm most of the time when I'm in a teminal and it makes just that section of the background mostly black. I use fluxbox and start almost everything with the mouse menu or some keyboard combination, so I don't have to read icons off the background. This allows me to have something that's actually pleasing to the eye as opposed to drab for my background. Just thought I would chime in with my two cents. :)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, if I could collect al the 2 cents from these threads! :D
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Oh, if I could collect al the 2 cents from these threads! :D

8)

What currency are we talking about ? Two Euro cents isn't worth alot :( But ofcourse, it helps :)
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get back to stressing your eyes: Least stressing is darkgreen bg, white fg. That's why they make the blackboards today green :-)
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matje wrote:
Just to get back to stressing your eyes: Least stressing is darkgreen bg, white fg. That's why they make the blackboards today green :-)

All ours are white w/ colored markers. Damn yellow on white is terrible, imo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: