View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Applications that don't get enough publicity Reply with quote

Hmm every other day I come across an application on Freshmeat that makes me think 'wow'.

Today it was XNC : X Northern Captain which is a mature, GPL file manager. It's feature list is more than impressive, and it seems very mature.

I'm going to emerge and test it [edit - there's no ebuild so I'll simply compile it manually]... if it's as good as it looks, I'll have to say I'm amazed I've not heard of it before when I've heard quite a bit about a number of other rather less featureful and mature graphical file managers.

Are there any applications out there that you feel just don't get talked about enough? For example, like an editor that's overlooked in all the vi/emacs and alternative arguments. Such as jEdit which is almost a brilliant editor but for the fact I couldn't get the project manager plugin to work.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi

Last edited by charlieg on Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaymz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FileRunner is a great filemanager as well, still don't know why there isn't a ebuild for this.... maybe because it's too old, or that developpment has stopped, is so, then some other apps shouldn't have ebuild either, like emelfm....
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Applications that don't get enough publicity Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
I'm going to emerge and test it
I'm not finding an ebuild... is there one?
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn im gonna try it. konqueror is good but its feels kinda "everything inside, even the stuff you dont need" :/
so does nautilus too, to many file previews and stuff in generl
(i know you can turn fileprevies off :/ )

Get lost before you get shot.
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of dillo mentioned very often. It's a small, fast web browser. It doesn't concern itself with rendering very well but I find it to be really useful when I'm looking for some obscure bit of knowledge and want browse through many sites quickly -- kind of like graphical links/lynx.

It's been mentioned a couple of times on these forums but not too much so I thought I'd mention it again.
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://xaos.theory.org/ - XaoS, the real-time interactive fractal zoomer. Definitely the best optimized fractal zoomer I've ever used. It's unfortunately a rather dead project - I didn't even get the stable version to compile. However, the latest prerelease does compile at least on my box, even though it has a rather major bug which I would already have reported if I wasn't so lazy (there's no text in the tutorials). XaoS is excellent for producing large amounts of pretty pictures; It has gobs of features relating to the colouring of fractals, animation, different post-drawing filters, and other fun stuff. Did I mention that it's also extremely fast? In some cases it gets out with about one tenth of a percent of the processing power required to draw a picture of a fractal without the optimisations it uses. Check out the gallery!

Since I came across this thread again now, I guess it's time to update this post: XaoS's home is at http://xaos.sf.net now. It's still not completely alive - the source as it is does not compile with gcc 3.4.x. I'm not sure if gcc 3.3.4 will compile it - I got it to work with gcc 3.4.x basically by removing a whole lot of code generation optimisations (mostly setting function calling conventions)...

Last edited by Ari Rahikkala on Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
perry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a program called XnView to for image file viewing, resizing, etc. Mostly used it when I downloaded images from my digital camera and wanted to put em on the web.

I stopped using it when I switched to Gentoo a couple months ago because there wasn't an ebuild, and I don't have the slightest clue how to make one. And I really haven't had a need for it recently, so I haven't bothered installing "by hand".
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if amsn is popular or not, but for me its good ar its job.
recommended for everyone needing to use msn, coz your contacs dont now how to use irc.

Get lost before you get shot.
ViMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice thing about msn is that it's working on internationalization. As far as I can tell, the other msn-clones (at least gaim) are not really making progress in internationalization. Also, another application that I find very useful is multi-gnome-terminal http://multignometerm.sourceforge.net/ although I don't find it mentioned often.

Last edited by ViMan on Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ViMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you want to type in any language using UTF-8, you should definitely try out Yudit http://www.yudit.org
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinEAKd - A small daemon which is used to make all those nice extra keys on modern keyboards work under X, configuration frontends avail for gnome, kde and as raw text - if your keyboard isn't listed it's VERY easy to add it to the list.. I added mine in the course of an evening.

Of course I have ebuilds for the KDE frontend and the main program in bugzilla.. :)

Mod Edit: Fixed URL tagging. --codergeek42
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perry wrote:
I used to use a program called XnView to for image file viewing, resizing, etc. Mostly used it when I downloaded images from my digital camera and wanted to put em on the web.

I stopped using it when I switched to Gentoo a couple months ago because there wasn't an ebuild, and I don't have the slightest clue how to make one. And I really haven't had a need for it recently, so I haven't bothered installing "by hand".

http://www.tarsis.org/ebuilds/xnview_ebuild.tar.gz
Untar it under /usr/portage/media-gfx/ and emerge xnview

I'll submit the ebuild to the portage tree, but it takes a while for new ones to be accepted.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perry wrote:

I also use XnView!! My FATHER told me about it! It's quite a nice app. :roll:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
ViMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jEdit is a nice idea but it's too bloated (Sun should have released something to convert to native executables if they want to remain competitive against .NET). Anyway, I don't really hear much about Anthill (http://www.urbancode.com/projects/anthill/default.jsp).

"Anthill is a tool that ensures a controlled build process and promotes the sharing of knowledge within an organization. Anthill performs a checkout from the source repository of the latest version of a project before every build and tags the repository with a unique build number after every build. Anthill also automatically updates a project intranet site with artifacts from the latest build. Anthill is an extension to the Apache-Ant project and is compatible with version 1.3 and 1.4 of Ant. Anthill is Open Source and is released under a Mozilla-like."
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mozart Programming System is an advanced development platform for intelligent, distributed applications. Mozart is based on the Oz language, which supports declarative programming, object-oriented programming, constraint programming, and concurrency as part of a coherent whole.

Mercury is a new logic/functional programming language, which combines the clarity and expressiveness of declarative programming with advanced static analysis and error detection features. Its highly optimized execution algorithm delivers efficiency far in excess of existing logic programming systems, and close to conventional programming systems. Mercury addresses the problems of large-scale program development, allowing modularity, separate compilation, and numerous optimization/time trade-offs.
orochi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried pwm? its a nice wm with tabs for all u flux junkies, infact its the first wm to support tabs i think. imo, it looks nicer too(i think fluxbox tabs look ugly), and the mem usage is about half of the *boxes.... hows that for light weight!
xyverz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, PWM is my first love of WMs, even though at the moment I'm using openbox. Openbox has the one feature I'd really love to have in PWM, but can't impliment myself because I can't code: snap-to-windows. *sigh*

One of these days... :roll:
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPlay

It's a curses-based front-end for music players. I have used it for a long time and i really love it. It's not one of those eye-candy programs (as you should know when i said curses-based :wink: ). It works in two modes switched with TABulator: Filemode and Playlist. In filemode you can add songs to play list pressing 'a'-key (it works recursively with directories and supports .m3u playlists) and pressing 'enter' you can play files directly from the filelist. Playlist works like in any other music-playing software. It supports: ogg123, mpg123, splay, mpg321, madplay and mikmod. It's in full Python, so it's easy to change to your liking and to add additional player-support. It changes titlebar of xterm-support terminals so you can shade them to save space and still see the song playing and control it. It also supports remote control via FIFO, so you can use lirc with it.

It is in Portage.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progs that (in my view) don't get enough attention:

Scite (in portage)
The things most people do with editors are trivial. It's performance and it's learning curve therefore are more important. I found scite when I was looking for a good notepad-replacement in Win. Glad that it's cross-platform.

Slab (www.slabexchange.org)
It was a great harddisk-recording prog back in 199something and it's even better now.
Just try it if you intent to use you computer as a n-track recorder.

xfe (#bug 13730)
After checking some 10 filemanagers I ended up using this one.
Check it out to see why, you won't regret it I hope.
wbsoft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEdit, a nice editor with powerful and simple to create syntax highlighting patterns
TreePS, a very nice process viewer
QPS, also a very nice qt2 process viewer
ROX + black/fluxbox, an incredibly fast desktop
hanta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reZound, great audio editor/recorder :)
http://rezound.sourceforge.net/

I can't understand why it's not in the portage yet...
IMO way better than audacity.
wjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like PWM (and you should), you'll love ion.

emerge ion and have fun ;)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanta wrote:
reZound, great audio editor/recorder :)
http://rezound.sourceforge.net/

I can't understand why it's not in the portage yet...
IMO way better than audacity.

Then make an ebuild it's really not that hard just take another similar ebuild and adapt then try emerge --debug ebuildfile and if it installs with no errors great, otherwise use the debug output to see where it went wrong.

man 5 ebuild is an exellent ressource for ebuilders.
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jext - www.jext.org ... now better than jedit imho :)
orochi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup , ion is good, i use pwm for normal x usage, and ion for when im programming , both are in portage
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: