Keymaps?!?!?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwright
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Keymaps?!?!?! Reply with quote

I've got all the packages from Gerk's G4 optimized packages repository, and I've got the stage 3 tarball from Gerk's place, as well as the gentoo 1.2 PPC iso image.

When I boot up, it asks me to choose a keymap. As I have a UK powerbook, I choose 17 for UK. Then, it says press enter to continue, and my enter key won't work with the keymap!

If I boot up and specify no options at that screen (ie - I just press enter) then my keymap is perfectly ok.

I install the stage3 tarball, then install my own kernel (benh 2.4.18-pre4 I think), with my own kernel configuration.

Then, I copy the packages from the G4 feed to /root/packages/All, and set PKGDIR to /root/packages. emerge kde.

All installs OK. When I do XFree86 -configure, it says "mouse could not be detected, please setup yourself", so I change the mouse device in XF86Config to /dev/input/mice. So far so good...

Then, I copy /root/XF86Config.new -> /etc/X11/XF86Config, and run kdm. X11 loads in 640x480 mode 8bpp, then, when I try to login... The keymap's all messed up!! For example, tab is a space, e is backspace, ctrl-alt is caps lock...

Also, when I boot up now, it says "Please set KEYMAP variable in rc.conf", but if I do, the keyboard doesn't work any more...

Is this a known problem?
gwright
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me... All it needed was a keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 at the yaboot prompt!

Will Xautoconfig configure my 1152x768 widescreen? If it will, then I may be daring and go for a stage 1 install *GASP* :)

btw - anyone know why the bogomips rating for a tiBook 400 is more than a tiBook 667? :wink:
DocTomoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest using xeasyconf (http://www.tuxppc.org/projects/xeasyconf/) instead of xautoconfig, it's way more reliable (and also authored by our local hero, Gerk ;)

As for the bogomips, don't care about them , they don't display anything sensible on PPC, as the test routines have been written for x86.
http://www.gentoo.org
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: