X11 on Blade 100 - problem to configure Elite 3D Lite
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanebuddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: X11 on Blade 100 - problem to configure Elite 3D Lite Reply with quote

Hi,
does anybody by chance has managed to configure the Elite 3D lite on a Blade 100?

I have setup Gentoo 2.4 with a 2.4.27 kernel, and managed to setup Xorg using the onboard ATI Rage card.
But the Elite 3D card does not wotk whatever I have tried so far in the xorg.conf file.

That is the device section I am using:
Quote:

Identifier "Elite 3D"
Driver "sunffb"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
BusID "SBUS:/SUNW,afb@1e,0"

and this is the answer in the Xorg.0.log file:

Quote:

(!!) More than one possible primary device found
(--) PCI: (0:19:0) ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL rev 39, Mem @ 0x06000000/24, 0x00426000/12, I/O @ 0x0b00/8, BIOS @ 0x00440000/17
(--) PCI: (1:1:0) unknown vendor (0x1091) unknown chipset (0x07a0) rev 0, Mem @ 0x04000000/25, 0x03000000/16, 0x03800000/23, BIOS @ 0x03040000/18

For me it looks like it cannot recognize the graphic card and therefore it fails. I have tested also the afbcode tip on some other postings, but it seems that I am failing already earlier.

Any tipps appreciated.

cheers,
Kanebuddy
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really have an Elite-3D card, I can't help you, because what you are seeing must be Blade-specific and I don't have one.
There are people who can, however; keep asking around.

However, your topic 'Elite 3D Lite' is a bad sign, because there is no such thing that I am aware of: There is Elite3D-m3 and there is Elite3D-m6.
There is also Expert3D-Lite, and that is a different animal. If that is what you have, xorg does not (and can not) support it.
If you search around, you can find out what it is (I think searching this forum will get you quite a bit
of information, all of it discouraging). Although there is a reasonable demand for Expert support, it is not
matched by Expert expertise: Last I knew, documentation at a level required for supporting it was not available.

So. If you do have an Elite card, search here or ask on the gentoo-sparc mailing list or ask on the freenode #gentoo-sparc IRC channel
for a matchup between you and someone with a similar configuration. If you have an Expert card, I believe you will not be able to use it with sparc Linux, unfortunately.

Regards,
kanebuddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ferris,
taking a closer look at it, I see that you seems to have some visionary properties, the card is indeed an EXPERT 3D Lite.
Sorry for the confusion, I was just having the wrong card in mind for this box.

So I will go on with the onboard card, which is actually not to bad, its just not acceptable for a geek like me that people say its working while I am not able to get it running. Now that I know its not supported, makes me feel better. 8)
thanks for your quick help,
Kanebuddy
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. You are not alone in being confused and frustrated by a mix-up between Elite & Expert.
I wish we had a way to support the Expert graphics card, but no one has come up with one.
(Lack of (1) hardware (the card), (2) documentation for the card, and (3) expertise. That combination really slows you down.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: