Kernel (gentoo-sources) Compile issues.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Kernel (gentoo-sources) Compile issues. Reply with quote

I have emerged the gentoo-sources and when I try to compile I get this error at the end.

Code:
ake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/lib'
gcc -E -C -P -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/include -imacros /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/include/asm                                   6/vmlinux.lds.S >arch/i386/vmlinux.lds
ld -m elf_i386 -T /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/vmlinux.lds -e stext arch/i386/kernel/head.o ar                                   n.o init/version.o init/do_mounts.o \
        --start-group \
        arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o arch/i386/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
         drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/medi                                   ide/idedriver.o drivers/scsi/scsidrv.o drivers/cdrom/driver.o drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o drivers/pci/driv                                   o/video.o \
        net/network.o \
        /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/lib/lib.a /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/lib/lib.a /usr/                                   6/lib/lib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
init/main.o: In function `smp_init':
init/main.o(.text.init+0x59e): undefined reference to `skip_ioapic_setup'
arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o: In function `broken_pirq':
arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o(.text.init+0x3252): undefined reference to `skip_ioapic_setup'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

It does not matter which options I enable or disable, I still get this error. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enable the "Symmetric multi-processing support" in Processor type and features? I got a very similiar error when I tried to toggle this off.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:
Did you enable the "Symmetric multi-processing support" in Processor type and features? I got a very similiar error when I tried to toggle this off.

I enabled the option and everythings hunky-dory.

Any ideas why this option needs to be compiled in?
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After rebooting with the new kernel I get a load of failed dependancies. Any ideas how this can be fixed?
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craftyc wrote:

Because it is broken. ;-)

The last time I tried to use the Gentoo sources it had similar issues if you tried to use it without preemption. So I'm working off the vanilla tree for the moment.

Bryn.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
craftyc wrote:

The last time I tried to use the Gentoo sources it had similar issues if you tried to use it without preemption. So I'm working off the vanilla tree for the moment.

Bryn.
#

OK then, so will I. :)
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
craftyc wrote:

Bryn.

It works perfectly if you add SMP support (and presumably preemption, I've never tried it without), neither of which should be harmful in any way. Preemption, if anything, helps and the SMP support just complains about finding only one CPU and goes about its business. Why use the vanilla sources?
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they meant use vanilla-sources and then patch it to fit ones needs.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craftyc wrote:
After rebooting with the new kernel I get a load of failed dependancies. Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Search the forum for "unresolved symbols" or "kernel compile error" - you'll find some tips. If the problem persist with special modules, post your error messages here. Also Google around for these error messages, in many mailing list there's a work-around posted.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with vanilla-sources until the next version of gentoo-sources comes out.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here seems to be another solution to disable SMP:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=475&highlight=mrproper

So it's not broken, it's just a dependency problem :-)
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I tried the gentoo-sources ... the kernel compiled, even modules ... booting no problem, everything worked flowlessly. But I got a lot of kernel messages spammed in my console. Preemptive exit kernel msgs or smth. I though, maybe there was some debugging option for preemptive, but I couldn't find it anyhow ... so I downloaded the 2.4.18 sources from kernel.org & patched it with the preemptive patch. Compiled it & everything's working great... duno what the prob was / what I did wrong ...

Any thoughts on this?

Grtz
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel (gentoo-sources) Compile issues. Reply with quote

craftyc wrote:
I have emerged the gentoo-sources and when I try to compile I get this error at the end.

Code:
ake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/lib'
gcc -E -C -P -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/include -imacros /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/include/asm                                   6/vmlinux.lds.S >arch/i386/vmlinux.lds
ld -m elf_i386 -T /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/vmlinux.lds -e stext arch/i386/kernel/head.o ar                                   n.o init/version.o init/do_mounts.o \
        --start-group \
        arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o arch/i386/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
         drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/medi                                   ide/idedriver.o drivers/scsi/scsidrv.o drivers/cdrom/driver.o drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o drivers/pci/driv                                   o/video.o \
        net/network.o \
        /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/arch/i386/lib/lib.a /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r5/lib/lib.a /usr/                                   6/lib/lib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o(.text.init+0x3252): undefined reference to `skip_ioapic_setup'

It does not matter which options I enable or disable, I still get this error. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

The correct solution to your problem is stated here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=33

It happened to me as well, and only occurs if you first compile the kernel with SMP support and then later recompile it without (with the same sources) If you do a make mrproper before proceeding, it will go fine.

I wonder why SMP is selected by default anyways.. gives nothing but trouble :)
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel (gentoo-sources) Compile issues. Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:

Full ACK - I was desperately trying to get my nvidia drivers to work but couldn't. The standard answer at #nvidia is already: "So you're using a gentoo kernel? Get yourself a 2.418 kernel directly from kernel.org and it will work!". I spend about 2 weeks on this issue. Finally I tracked this down as a result of SMP enabled in my kernel.

I also suggest to disable SMP by default.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. But 2.4.18 from kernel.org has SMP enabled by default as well. So this doesn't change anything. And the gentoo sources work fine for me with nvidia drivers, they just need proper configuration.

So whatever those guys say at #nvidia, don't believe them :)
We're fine running our gentoo sources 8)

Hehe
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the 2.4.18 drivers and after I got this working, I emerged the latest gentoo-sources and now I'm running my nvidia drivers happily in the 2.4.19-rc5 release.
Egil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel (gentoo-sources) Compile issues. Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
craftyc wrote:

Code:

The correct solution to your problem is stated here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=33

It happened to me as well, and only occurs if you first compile the kernel with SMP support and then later recompile it without (with the same sources) If you do a make mrproper before proceeding, it will go fine.

I had the same problem and it was my first compile of the kernel. (I also did a "make mrproper" before attempting to compile.) I was trying to compile with SMP turned off and the first APIC option after the SMP option turned on. (I am not at the Linux box so I cannot specifically quote the options.)

I solved the problem by turning on the IOAPIC option (second option after SMP in my menuconfig).

(I next failed because I had turned off quota support but chosen quota support for XFS. - I need to be consistent in my choices. (*shrug*))

I hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: