Other (please state)
2%
 2%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 620

vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it can be tested in a sort of retrospective way, but you can't test it by altering any variables. It's not like you can set it in motion again and alter anything and see if it turns out differently. Things have already happened this way, and we can't really find out what it would take to make it work differently.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahood wrote:
I admit that creationism is religious. I also believe there are facts to prove its true.

Which facts (specifically)?

Quote:
I don't every remember hearing or seeing about marco-evolution being proven true

A bit of pedantics here, but science doesn't "prove things true". There's no such thing as absolute proof except in math. You can falsify things (prove them wrong), and you can provide evidence to support a theory (if you have lots of evidence, it would show that it's probably true, or at least very close to the truth).

Quote:
(one animal changing to another eg dog to cat)? I do know that what is called micro-evolution is true (new species being observed), but are they not still similar animals (same kind, can reproduce with the species they came from)?

Evolution occurs mostly gradually. Individual species change by observable amounts and even have diverged into new species in human time frames. This is all the rate of change over a geological time scale that is required to account for all the diversity of life on Earth. There are a number of specific cases where speciation has been observed, including ones where the species became reproductively isolated.

Quote:
I believe that evolution is a religion that tries to hide behind science.

Upon what do you base this accusation?

Quote:
I was always taught in school that science is things that can be observed and I have never heard about a monkey turning into a human, or a transition of one animal to another, either alive or as a fossils

There are an abundance of transitional forms in the fossil record. Archaeopteryx was discovered and found to be perfectly transitional between reptiles and birds more than 100 years ago. Even the fossil record of human evolution is filled with transitional fossils (so much so that there is disagreement as to which species of hominid many fossils belong). Creationists claim that there are no transitional forms between apes and humans, that there is a wide gulf between morpholgies. Yet even creationists can't agree which fossils are humans and which are apes.

Another bit of pedantics; since we're talking about biological evolution, monkeys != apes.
janitor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahood wrote:

Any way I believe in creation. I believe that evolution is a religion that tries to hide behind science. I was always taught in school that science is things that can be observed and I have never heard about a monkey turning into a human, or a transition of one animal to another, either alive or as a fossils but then again government schools don't always teach the truth.

True. Evolution is what is called a theory in science, there to be overthrown by the next, better theory. People who believe in it to be the absolute truth are most certainly not on the right path of science. As you say, they are religious just like you. However, your monkey argument is flawed, and you prove that you do not believe in it by writing what you wrote on a computer. You obviously believe that this thing works, although the theories about the behavior of infinitesimally small transistors most certainly cannot be observed. There are many other examples of this.

In the end, it is everybody's own choice what to believe in, but we should be very careful not to let science be influenced by that. Science is not about emotions or experience. Otherwise, how would we decide which of the many religions to use as a basis? I prefer to have an agreed-upon ground of some neutral axioms for science.

Jan
eSinner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Categorical Error Reply with quote

Quote:
Creation more so. Metacreation: Who created the Creator?

This is a categorical error.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: