Sound volume inconsistent between Linux and WinXP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cid Highwind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Sound volume inconsistent between Linux and WinXP Reply with quote

I have a Creative Soundblaster PCI card (ES1371 chip), and use the stock kernel driver under Gentoo (not ALSA), and the driver that came with XP in Windows. The sound output is much quieter in Linux than in Windows. Even if I set the software mixers at the same level (full volume for master and PCM channels) in both OSes, Windows is much louder. It's not a serious problem, because I can compensate by cranking my amplifier up so the sound is reasonably loud. The problem is, if I boot back into Windows, or switch the stereo over to the tuner or CD player input, it is eath-shatteringly loud. Is there some hidden mixer setting I can use to boost the sound card's output in Linux?
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find that there are more than one volume controllers for your sound cards volume.

You are using stock drivers, OSS, so open up kmix or something and change the DSP slider and the Master. That should change something.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give smixer a try, if you would a like a non-GUI based mixer. It'll give you what you need: the volume settings and nothing more. emerge smixer, then smixer -p to print out the values.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: