View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andcon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: can't recieve messages in GAIM? Reply with quote

Hi, i've just installed Gaim on my nice new Gentoo installation, I have 2 problems, first there is no entry in the KDE menu or on the kicker bar, and secondly i can't recieve messages by GAIM i can only send messages, and can only recieve smilies, no text. Im using KDE3.0.5 does anyone know any fixe's for this, or could have any idea what is wrong?
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What protocols are you using? If you've only tried one, I suggest you try some others. Also, just to see if it's a problem specific to gaim, how about trying some other IM clients? (centericq would be a good choice since it's not a big build and supports multiple protocols).
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to DE.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: can't recieve messages in GAIM? Reply with quote

andcon wrote:
Hi, i've just installed Gaim on my nice new Gentoo installation, I have 2 problems, first there is no entry in the KDE menu or on the kicker bar, and secondly i can't recieve messages by GAIM i can only send messages, and can only recieve smilies, no text. Im using KDE3.0.5 does anyone know any fixe's for this, or could have any idea what is wrong?

I'm using Gaim extensivly in my job and is very staisfied with it.

To me it sounds like a configuration issue within Gaim. Are you sure that you have fonts and colors set correctly? Doesn't hurt to check it.

When it comes to the KDE menu and kicker entry, add it yourself. This is a gnome based im-client and nobody has bothered to fix the ebuild or the gaim source to add this to an existing KDE installation. Personally i have just added an icon to my desktop to start Gaim, very easy. Besides that, I can't remember last time I actually started Gaim, it is always running albeit not always logged on.

Erik
andcon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using Gaim to access MSN, I have managed to add it to the Desktop and also to the kicker bar.

I'll have another look at the issue regarding the fonts and colours etc...

Out of interest what good IM programs are out there for KDE that allow me to access MSN?
faizel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have the same problem here, i have discovered that if the sender uses bold text, u can see his/her message. Have tried some font changes. Anyone an idea ?

TIA
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh... You were saying that you couldn't read messages sent to you, not so much that you couldn't receive them. That makes a world of difference. :wink:

For starters, I suggest playing with the Conversation options, toggling the various ignore options (ignore colors, font faces, font sizes, etc.) on and off.
faizel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved when ignoring colors, font faces and font sizes
UnderDog138
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the colors settings in the KDE control panel affect how IMs in gaim show up. There was a certain color in my color scheme that defaulted to white, and my gaim window backgrounds were white, so even though I had my gaim fonts set to black, they still used the KDE default text which was white, and I doubt anyone can read white on white.

Maybe that's the problem. I never figured out how to fix it. I fixed it, but I don't remember what I did or how I did it. Just play with the colors.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an option in the KDE Look & Feel section somewhere. It's a checkbox with text along the lines of "Change non-KDE apps to use colourscheme" or something. Uncheck that box, and your laughing :lol:
jana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: gaim vs. gaim! Reply with quote

Intriguingly, I've only got this problem when someone from the windows version of gaim tries to talk to me. Ignoring fonts fixed it--the default windows gaim font must be something that doesn't translate!

- j
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: