Clearifying 1.4-rc1 vs 1.4-rc2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Clearifying 1.4-rc1 vs 1.4-rc2 Reply with quote

I have seen a lot of posts and questions about upgrading to 1.4-rc2 and I guess there are some confusion out there about it.

1.4-rc2 is the version of the LiveCD that you use to initally install your system. Once the system is installed and you boot from your PC and not the CD, the system is installed to 1.4-rc2.

Now, if you installed with 1.4-rc1 previously and then have been using emerge rsync and emerge -up world your system is up to date. There is no reason to go through the whole process again.

This is really the best thing about Gentoo. You could just as easy start with the old 1.2 version of the LiveCD and end up at the same level as someone who installs using the 1.4-rc2.

Bottom line: LiveCD 1.4-rc2 is just used during the initial install of Gentoo After that, all systems are more or less at the same level if you update using emerge on a regular basis.

Erik
kry0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. You answered the question that I have been trying to find out with many a search.
JWU42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That answered whther I needed to think about an upgrade to 1.4 for this older 1.2 server. It gets an emerge rsync and emerge -u world and emerge -u system every week or two.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post - there have been a lot of questions about this lately, and your explanation is good so this thread is being made sticky.

To make one clarification - if you are using a version PRIOR to 1.4_rc1, gcc will not get upgraded, though other packages are (actually, glibc might not - I'm not sure). The reason for that is because there were some changes in gcc 3.2 that broke compatability in certain things. There is a specific procedure for upgrading gcc documented here. If you're using either of the 1.4 release candidates you do not need to use that procedure. Also, I don't believe you'll need it if you installed 1.3a or 1.3b during the short period they were available.
fruitmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Why then? Reply with quote

This may be pretty stupid, but why was -rc2 released if it's basically the same as just keeping your system up to date with "emerge rsync && emerge -u world"? So you're saying that with my 1.4-rc1 system up to date using the above commands, there is no reason for me to 'upgrade' to 1.4-rc2? Thanks for your patience...

One more thing, will there be a reason for me to upgrade from 1.4-rc1 to 1.4-final?
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Why then? Reply with quote

fruitmonkey wrote:
This may be pretty stupid, but why was -rc2 released if it's basically the same as just keeping your system up to date with "emerge rsync && emerge -u world"? So you're saying that with my 1.4-rc1 system up to date using the above commands, there is no reason for me to 'upgrade' to 1.4-rc2? Thanks for your patience...

One more thing, will there be a reason for me to upgrade from 1.4-rc1 to 1.4-final?

The only thing that changed was the intall cd. Some more hardware suppourt was added, along with the Gentoo Refrence Platform.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
I don't believe you'll need it if you installed 1.3a or 1.3b during the short period they were available.
I think you will. 1.3 uses GCC 3.1, and the C++ ABI is incompatible with 3.2+.
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo does not have a version number system :)
only the live cd does

so it's wrong to say "I installed Gentoo 1.4-rc2"
but right to say "I installed Gentoo-Linux from a 1.4-rc2 live cd"
am I right?
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the version of Gentoo is based on the gcc version where it's built from, so you still can run 1.2 if your system is build with gcc-2.95 and 1.4{rc1,rc2,final} if you have gcc-3.2. :D
UnderDog138
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exci wrote:
Gentoo does not have a version number system :)
only the live cd does

so it's wrong to say "I installed Gentoo 1.4-rc2"
but right to say "I installed Gentoo-Linux from a 1.4-rc2 live cd"
am I right?

I think this is the main question I've wondered about since the day I found out about gentoo and it never made sense until now. I think this fact should be really widely documented to thwart confusion. I was unhappy with the way I setup my partitions on my rc1 install so when rc2 came out I wiped it out and started over thinking I was going to need to do this anyway. Now I know why this isn't needed.
tredman2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Linux Distribution Versioning Reply with quote

I think that this argument could be applied to most distributions, and really isn't Gentoo-specific. Any distribution that maintains some kind of package system, be it RPM, APT or Portage, is in a position to keep itself up to date.

It's conceivable that if you installed RedHat 5.0 and brought all of the RPM's up to date, then you'd have the equivalent of a brand spanking new RedHat system. Same goes with Debian, Mandrake or any of the others with good package management.

The version numbers really only apply to new installations, since the install CDs have initial support for certain hardware. If you have a really old Token Ring card on your computer, you may even get better results by using an older version of a distro and just updating it to current, since those drivers may have been obsoleted in the newer versions of the install CDs.
bdonlan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:

To make one clarification - if you are using a version PRIOR to 1.4_rc1, gcc will not get upgraded, though other packages are (actually, glibc might not - I'm not sure). The reason for that is because there were some changes in gcc 3.2 that broke compatability in certain things. There is a specific procedure for upgrading gcc documented here.

Is it important to do that? Or can I stay with 2.x?
tredman2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't hurt anything right now to stay with GCC2. From what I understand, GCC3 speeds up the execution of a program at the expense of taking longer to compile. However, I believe I remember seeing something in a mailing list where they had fixed that to a certain extent.

As far as I know, there are no applications out there that cannot be compiled with either GCC2 or 3.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what then is the main difference between the two live cds (rc1 versus rc2)?

Clearly there is a difference in the kernel on the disk because my computer could boot rc1 but has a kernel panic when I boot rc2.

I guess also the apps like gcc and lynx which are on the cd are more up to date. correct?

But am I correct in assuming I could use the rc1 live cd along with a stage tarball from rc2 and still end up with the same result?
tredman2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. The biggest difference between the CD's is are the drivers that are installed in the default kernel, and the extra little bells and whistles that come with it, including programs like pci-setup and such.

Actually, I was having problems installing on my Compaq server, and I used the 1.2 CD to install the 1.4rc2 stage 1 file. The 1.4rc2 CD didn't work (can't remember exactly why), and 1.4rc1 didn't allow me to enter the kernel parameters that I needed to set up the memory.

Of course, that was last weekend, and my server is only a PPro200, so the merge is still going on (basic install and xfree are finished, just waiting on KDE now), but I'm confident that the install should be done in my lifetime...

...I hope...

:?
Dragon561
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere that 1.2 is still available?
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tredman2 wrote:

Of course, that was last weekend, and my server is only a PPro200, so the merge is still going on (basic install and xfree are finished, just waiting on KDE now), but I'm confident that the install should be done in my lifetime...

...I hope...

:?

You put KDE on a PPro200 SERVER. You sadist. Do you also walk your dog by holding the leash out the window of the car and getting on th interstate? :)
SeaPig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon561 wrote:
Is there anywhere that 1.2 is still available?

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/build/1.2/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: