need to know how to configure kernel in stage 3? >:(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: need to know how to configure kernel in stage 3? >:( Reply with quote

I do the
"make menuconfig"
and get some blue kernel config proggie, so I exit it and don't save changes.

Then I do:
"make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install"

and it goes psycho for a bit and then asks me some questions (think i went y,n,y,y) what's going on? I don't know anything about compiling the kernel, that's why I went with stage 3 Athlon install...

What the heck's going on?
Did I mess somehting up? Or do I need to be some kind of kernel-tweaking-maniac just to try Gentoo?

Why can't these Gentoo ppl do a little networking with those RH guys :roll:
I was expecting RH 8 DejaVu after the 1st screen. alas....
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: need to know how to configure kernel in stage 3? >:( Reply with quote

zenon wrote:
I do the
"make menuconfig"
and get some blue kernel config proggie, so I exit it and don't save changes.

Then I do:
"make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install"

and it goes psycho for a bit and then asks me some questions (think i went y,n,y,y) what's going on? I don't know anything about compiling the kernel, that's why I went with stage 3 Athlon install...

What the heck's going on?
Did I mess somehting up? Or do I need to be some kind of kernel-tweaking-maniac just to try Gentoo?

Why can't these Gentoo ppl do a little networking with those RH guys :roll:
I was expecting RH 8 DejaVu after the 1st screen. alas....

The problem you see is because when you exited from the kernel configuration screen without saving, there is no .config file which tells the rest of the kernel make system which options you want to enable in the kernel.
When you then did make, the first thing it does is to do a textbased configuration where you have to answer the same type of questions as you can do using the menu based configuration.

It is not easy to tell you exactly what you need to set of option since we have no idea what hardware you are running and what type of peripherals you want to attach.

Erik
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so is there any "crash course in becoming a kernel compiling guru" website? I have a burner so I think I'll need to do that IDE->SCSI thing beyond that what do I know?hmmm

compile out everything you don't need (XFS, iptables, that QoS thingie hmmm what else) things you MAY need make modules and things you know you'll need compile in... :D

There's no "kernel wathcer software" is there? I mean I just compile everything in and IT monitors what I've actually used and hacks the rest off (doing all this by making that config file I abandoned on:wink:)
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I just read the guy below who's been installing for DAYS... literally read the post. WOW I'm SO glad now that I went for the Stage 3 :)
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon guys, the only thing I could find searching was this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27523&highlight=compiling+kernel

there were a kazillion hits but no problems were this simple. Where is this config file located? could I go on an FTP and copy the file from RH 8 to get the system running?

At this point, just surfing the net with Gentoo would make me happy enough to do backflips. :cry:

Even if there was a one-click operation to compile everything including the kitchen sink that'd get me running... I really want to get this Gentoo thing mastered I just need to get the wheels spinning B4 I start installing ALSA and do the music creation I plan on doing.
Shades3D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the .config is /usr/src/linux-(kernelversion)/.config (note the .). The file is created when you run through either the 'make menuconfig' stage, or if you skip it, the text based config stage when make dep is run. Its better to step through make menuconfig. If you're semi decent with hardware, stepping through menuconfig isn't too horribly hard. Here's a few things to remember:

SMP is for dual processor systems.
MTRR is good if you've got an nvidia card (dunno about ATI)
Any card drivers (network, sound, etc etc) can be set as modules, or built into the kernel. Its your choice, but if you do them as modules, you'll have to setup your system to find the modules on boot (add them to /etc/modules.autoload)

Just take a little time to look through menuconfig and see whats in there. If it doesn't sound familiar and isn't enabled, don't enable it. If its enabled but doesn't sound familiar, leave it be.

Like ebrostig said, unless we know specific hardware you have in your machine, we can't tell you what specific kernel options to use.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you won't like gentoo at all... With gentoo, you're going to have to install and configure everything by yourself! No more RPMS for you!

If you still have Windows lying around on that machine, get Belarc advisor and give us the output. I think it was http://www.belarc.com
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't like configuring things, I was just hoping this Stage 3 would get me up and running like RH... Walk B4 you run so to say :)

Here's the output from that software, there will also be an ATI Xpert@play (3D Rage Pro PCI chipset) card installed, going for dual monitor (WinXP doesn't like these cards together, alone fine. But it won't boot with them both in)

And there's only ONE network card... don't know why stupid windows thiks there's two :roll:

http://www.mts.net/~daver/profile.htm
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon guys, a few hints at least?

If I just compile EVERYTING (no modules either) how bad could that be? still can't much worse than XP, huh?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html?
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I haven't seen that yet. Thanks for the link.

If I just compile everything will that hurt anything? It's not that I don't want to learn, believe me I do. Just a walk B4 you run thing, everyone seems to be compiling kernels like it's going outta style... and so will I soon enough, I just need system to tweak B4 I start tweaking if you can see where I'm coming from.
int1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Zenon:

If you choose to compile your system from the ground up, you will gain some performance advantages over starting at say stage 3. This is one of the greatest reasons to use gentoo.

As for kernel compiling, if you make sure you get a few critical things in the kernel the first time, such as the filesystem driver you are using, network driver, etc, many of which will likely be on by default, then you can later recompile the kernel as often as needed for you to learn. You can save the old kernels and allow yourself to boot them in grub in case a new one fails. You can also save off each configuration you make so that you can start from the same point later.

So I'd say go for it! Take the chance and get the advantage!
int1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: