View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Ogle problems Reply with quote

Just got Gentoo finally working the way I want it (after 3 tries.. geeze, it would be nice if the install didn't take 1.5 days.. but hey you pay for this kind of customization eh? I really like Gentoo don't get me wrong)

Now, I installed Ogle to play my DVD's I've always used it under Red Hat, never had a problem, but under Gentoo playback is horrible, the sound skips constantly, and the video skips around 10-15 frames about every half second.. its constantly skipping.

Any ideas? is Xine any better? I've tried using Xine before, but I could never get it to actually *see* my DVD drive under Red Hat, and the configuration was very cryptic, and un-intuitive.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you compiled MTRR something something in your kernel? if not, do so and try again. I have never tried ogle, only xine with dvds, it works most of the time, unlike mplayer who dosn't see the filenames correctly :?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On Intel P6 family processors (Pentium Pro, Pentium II and later) the Memory Type Range Registers (MTRRs) may be used to control processor access to memory ranges. This is most useful when you have a video (VGA) card on a PCI or AGP bus. Enabling write-combining allows bus write transfers to be combined into a larger transfer before bursting over the PCI/AGP bus. This can increase performance of image write perations 2.5 times or more.

Turn it on if you haven't, it can also be a problem with X and the modules you load in /etc/X11/XF86Config. Maybe you turned off DGA. Maybe it helps if you name the graphics board you're using.

Need some more info, Cya, lX
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've got my machine all optimized to hell, everything is fast as snot, even kde 3 is snappy... and still when playing DVD's the Audio skips constantly. Is the picture seems to be pretty good now, but the soundtrack of the movie is completely unacceptable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: