When compiling from stage2, there's a circular dependency
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulecoyote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: When compiling from stage2, there's a circular dependency Reply with quote

When compiling from stage2, there's a circular dependency with the perl and I think java use flags.

I should have posted straight away (sorry) because now my memory of the installation is a bit fuzzy - but basically perl requires automake and automake requires perl. emerge gets it's nickers in a twist and you have to force it to emerge libperl without checking dependencies... and go through those dependies required by automake until you have a working perl install.

I found my way around anyway, but if emerge fails at such an early stage during a first install it may discourage some people from finishing the Gentoo install. Which would be a shame cos this is my favourite distro, and I'm recommending it to people :-)
nokietje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

i have this problem (i am a newbie to gentoo, i have been using mandrake before but this seems to be a lot harder :-( ) and i have no clue how to work around. Can you help me a bit with it because i must admit i feel like giving up...

I just followed the documentation and ended up with this when i had to do emerge system.
paulecoyote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. First do a :

Code:
emerge --pretend perl

or
Code:

emerge --pretend automake

... and see what dependencies need to be built.

As you are running off the LiveCD at this point (I guess?) and already have automake available in binary form you can build stuff anyway even if it's not in your system proper yet.

so for the dependencies that are circular, force them in. like libperl for instance - emerge it without dependencies:

Code:
emerge --nodeps libperl

then when you have the dependencies in that are screwing it up, you should be able to do a normal emerge again. Do this with all the dependencies that appear on both the automake and perl sides until you can actually emerge successfully without using --nodeps.

Code:
emerge perl

I wish I had written down what I did at the time so I could be more helpful - but as you must be pretty hands on to even attempt installing Gentoo - this will probably be enough info to help you out.

For anyone else scratching their heads and wondering what we are on about whom already have an installed system - do this:

Code:
emerge --emptytree --pretend perl
emerge --emptytree --pretend automake

Now for me and the other guy on this thread, on the Livecd perl appears in automakes dependencies... and automake appears in perls dependencies.
nokietje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

thanks a lot, i will try it tonight (i am at my work now ;-) ).

Just one question: i am not running from Live CD, does this make a lot of difference or should it work out just fine as well? (i had a knoppix cd and thought that this way of installing would work just as fine as well - which it up till now quite did). I am just asking because you ask for it. And how can i check that i have automake available already in binary format (because i think i don't but i am not sure if i think of the right things).
paulecoyote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure - I'm pretty new at this as well.

Forcing things in with nodeps until it works should be ok if you are on the livecd or not - as long as anything you try and force is does not directly rely on perl or automake to be there to actually build at all.

You can check if something is there by

Code:
emerge --search automake

It will tell you if you have something installed already. There is another way listed in the install handbook. That handbook is worthwhile printing out if you can, esp if you can print it out for work and get work to pay for it ;-)

If you don't have automake there and it refuses to emerge, do the nodeps thing with it's listed dependencies until it does.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also try this
Shink wrote:
Install PERL without gdbm support

# USE="-gdbm" emerge perl

Install autoconf now that PERL is there

# emerge autoconf

Install gdbm (not sure what this is, database of some sort?)

# emerge gdbm

Then I reinstalled perl so it could use gdbm

# emerge unmerge perl
# emerge perl

Then finish the system

# emerge system

paulecoyote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha! that's why your rating is "l33t" I guess :-P :-)
nokietje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

thanks a lot it is solved. Here is how i did it. I checked what were the dependencies of automake and i just did

Code:
emerge bison

which was the first package in my case. This one installed perl with a lot of other things so after that i could just install automake without forcing anything.

thanks for the help!
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
* Caching service dependencies...
* Services 'driverloaderbuild' and 'checkroot' have circular
* dependency of type 'ibefore'; continuing... [ ok ]

Mentioned elsewhere and read to follow up to this thread, I have exactly this same problem, the other thread did not have a solution so I'm hoping I can find one here?
Dr_Claw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

echo6 wrote:
Code:
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
* Caching service dependencies...
* Services 'driverloaderbuild' and 'checkroot' have circular
* dependency of type 'ibefore'; continuing... [ ok ]

Mentioned elsewhere and read to follow up to this thread, I have exactly this same problem, the other thread did not have a solution so I'm hoping I can find one here?

The newest versions of driverloader (2.06+) added a second service (in /etc/init.d). Before this, there was just one (driverloader) which starts the driverloader module after the network service. The second service (driverloaderbuild) automatically compiles the driverloader module if needed, and therefore needs to be before the network service.

If you check out the two services mentioned (/etc/init.d/driverloaderbuild and /etc/init.d/checkroot) you'll notice that in the "depend()" section, which tells the system what order things need to be loaded in, they both have "before *", so the files are telling the system they both need to be loaded first - before each other - hence the circular dependancy.

I got around this by editing the depend() section of /etc/init.d/driverloaderbuild from "before *" to "before net" - since driverloaderbuild only needs to be loaded before the net service is loaded, not before _everything_ else.

It works for me, anyway!
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thanks :-)
Apropos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to use
Code:
USE="-xvga -berkdb" emerge -va PACKAGE
for some of my perl and automake and autoconf ebuilds. paulecoyote's post using the --nodeps option combined with the above worked. Also I needed to install my kernel for pam.

I will run
Code:
emerge --newuse system
and maybe it will remake the packages with my standard USE flags. Haven't done it yet but I'll see.
Johny the Ripper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my system libperl wouldn't emerge. I solved it by changing the date from 1998 to 2005. Suddenly all went fine :)
Slavo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was thousand times discussed already

you can solve it by

#emerge -O libperl perl

then

#emerge system

later you need to rebuild those 2 packages by

#emerge libperl perl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT