Problems with the main website page
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwinks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Problems with the main website page Reply with quote

Ok, I guess this is the place to post this, feel free to move it if not.

I am new(ish) to linux, and very new to Gentoo. I found the installation guide posted in the "Docs" section to be VERY VERY useful to getting to a base install, with a nice pretty command prompt. Very easy to follow, and very well written...

Here is my HUGE problem with the site:

There are NO links to half of the most important docs on this site, namely most everything posted on this page: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

I mean, for a TRUE Gentoo/Linux Noob, you need to have the XOrg, and NVidia/ATI docs, then after you get those done, you need to use the KDE?Gnome docs, then the ALSA one. This gets you a Gentoo system with a desktop env and sound/video.

I have looked and looked, and there is no (or a very well hidden) links to these documents. I found the ALSA one with google, and the others from a post in a forum here.

These need to be linked with the installation guide, in the Gentoo handbook. It needs to have the install guide, the working with gentoo one, then followed by the XOrg one, the GPU ones, etc. This info needs to be much more prominant, I think.

Any other really good docs on this site that others have found that are hidden too?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best option would like be to submit a bug report at bugs.gentoo.org

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you look at the redesign thread, almost each of contenstents fixes this problem.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the main documentation page there is a link to the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Repository.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomk wrote:
On the main documentation page there is a link to the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Repository.
I'm eagerly awaiting the redesign. I couldn't find the Desktop link the other day... and I knew one was there at some point.
dwinks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomk, did you just add that back on the main documentation page? When I clicked that link, it showed the list of links near the top of the page, with all the other ones, except the one linking the desktop documentation.

Now when click it, it shows the desktop documentation respository link, but it is highlighted as blue on my browser (ie, I have never clicked it) while all the others are purple (ie, I have clicked them). There is no way I just overlooked it that many times, I think, unless I am losing my mind, lol. Please tell me I found an error that was corrected, and not that I just imagined this all. :roll:

Either way, its good to have the link to it there again, but I also think it deserves a link on this page: Handbook

Maybe down at the bottom, in the same column as the installing gentoo, and working with gentoo fields, since its really the third part of installing a complete gentoo system. It was a bugger to find for a first time user like myself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: