Help!! iptables.o KLM not being created, so can't run iptabl
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Help!! iptables.o KLM not being created, so can't run iptabl Reply with quote

Like, erm new to networking under Gentoo, have this problem where the iptables.o LKM module doesn't appear to be created after a kernel compile, and when I run iptables, it complains about modprobe not being able to find the module, 'cos it aint there - I checked.

I'm using gentoo-sources kernel 2.4.19-r10. Enabled Network Filtering (which can only be selected as 'inbuilt' or 'no' !) in my .config under /usr/src/linux and did the usual make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules & make modules_install - no errors - Good,or so I thought... :wink:

Copied the new kernel to /boot along with the map, lilo'd it and rebooted. Boot was good, logged in and ran iptables - got the error and after digging, noticed that my iptables.o module wasn't anywhere on my disk. :x

I tried again, same result. The Configure.help in kernel points me to the Documentation/Changes file which states that the 'packages' are FTPable,
erm - whats going on and what do I need to do - any ideas folks?

TIA

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
li1_getoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please put a follow up on this :)
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help!! iptables.o KLM not being created, so can't run ip Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:
Like, erm new to networking under Gentoo, have this problem where the iptables.o LKM module doesn't appear to be created after a kernel compile, and when I run iptables, it complains about modprobe not being able to find the module, 'cos it aint there - I checked.

Go here and read.
this link

Quote From Vlad on that page
Compile iptables statically into the kernel. Trying to troubleshoot the depmod errors is tedious and mind numbing.

Go to this page to see about the work on the kernel.

here

:D
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded to vanilla 2.5.53 kernel (for now) - seems to be okay. No point logging with buzilla then as they are on .57 I think now?!

:?

keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuT - TuT , my manners !!!

Thanks 4 the posts guys and the redirects, I searched all forums with keywords like "kernel module iptables" but didnt find the links that [colour=green]tryn[/colour]kindly offered.

TTFN

Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious if you also emerged the iptables usermode. Besides compiling the iptables (NETFILTER) components in the the kernel or as modules, you also need to emerge iptables.

Quote:
* sys-apps/iptables
Latest version available: 1.2.7a
Latest version installed: 1.2.7a
Size of downloaded files: 115 kB
Homepage: http://www.iptables.org/
Description: Kernel 2.4 firewall, NAT and packet mangling tools

I have my netfilter stuff compiled in the kernel so not sure on this (ie. if it will cause problems with loading the iptables modules), but I do know that iptables won't work without it. Sorry if this isn't your problem.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, I understand that IPTABLES (and other support for IP stuff) has been merged into the NETFILTER concept. I had already compiled the neccessary kernel parts ('top-end' or something I think) and "emerged iptables" afterwoods.

The problem seems to be that the iptables.o LKM isn't being created by any of these build processes. It must be somewhere else.

As I mentioned earlier, the kernel Documentation/Changes file points me to some bz2 files for NetFilter components ... but I can't acess the site to see what they are http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/iptables-1.2.tar.bz2

keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Looks like that URL is wrong because I went to their web site homepage and navigated around a bit to find this bz2 file - its just the userspace files, which I already 'emerged'.

So I've no idea why the gentoo-sources kernel (2.4.19-r10) doesnt support the iptables.o LKM.

jukka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:
So I've no idea why the gentoo-sources kernel (2.4.19-r10) doesnt support the iptables.o LKM.

hmm, could it be that you are looking for the ip_tables.o (underscore!) module? what does the following command print:
Code:
egrep 'CONFIG_(NETFILTER|IP_NF_)' /usr/src/linux/.config

should be something like
Code:
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_XYZ=[ym]

hth, jukka
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep jukka - I had a problem in my original kernel source tree, you recall I'm using a 2.5 kernel now without the problem, but as its an 'odd' minor release number, its not "stable"!

So, what happened was that I used "make menuconfig" to select the options I need in NF and IP stuff. Rebuilt and rebooted. Could never get ip_tables to load - it wasn't being created. Reason why - well the ".config" file did not reflect the selections I had made. When I selected "<M>" in the make process, they always translated to "<*>" in the ".config" - but only for the NF stuff. Weird!!!!

Anyway, I've ''moved up'' to a new kernel now, so shall wait with anticipation as to my next justification for a kernel build - again :wink:

Phew ... so jukka was spot on folks , in case anyone else has the prob!!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: