Reading directions and other lessons learned
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLuft3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reading directions and other lessons learned Reply with quote

Well, I finally got my gentoo box running. It was a relatively painless installation that I stretched out over a week or so due to the holiday. I just left the machine running and did a step or two at a time as I could steal a minute here or there. In the meantime, I've been reading the Desktop Configuration guide looking forward to my next adventure.

Some things I learned along the way:

Heed the warnings! They are in pink boxes throughout the Installation Instructions.

Two gotchas: I forgot to compile in DEVFS support and did not create a syslog-ng.conf file as instructed in Step 16.

The kernel instructions should also offer some guidance on selecting the "Enhanced Real Time Clock" kernel option (under Character devices). Otherwise you get that modprobe...CHAR-MAJOR-10-135" error on boot up.

A quick recompile and copy to /boot fixed the DEVFS and RTC issues. I can hold off on syslog-ng for now.

The only other problem I ran into was this "/etc/make.profile isn't available" message the first time I run env-update. It seems that this error can be ignored.

Now the fun begins!
GLuft3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: ...other lessons learned Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing...

I mistyped the grub root command as hd(0,0) instead of (hd0,0). That caused a kernel panic. I just used my handy dandy boot disk--I contemplatied skipping step #26 and I'm glad I didn't--and fixed the problem.
quiconque
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading directions and other lessons learned Reply with quote

GLuft3 wrote:
The only other problem I ran into was this "/etc/make.profile isn't available" message the first time I run env-update. It seems that this error can be ignored.

Everyone seems to get that one - they really should mention it in the docs, since it can be a bit confusing :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: