View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Galeon Seg faulting Reply with quote

mynameisjonas wrote:
i think this is a really serious galeon bug.

i have tested galeon ebuilds 1.2.5, 1.2.5rc1, 1.2.6 and galeon-cvs on two separate gentoo 1.4rc1 (gcc3.2) boxes,

Code:
1. march=athlon-tbird - fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -pipe
2. march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -pipe

(i have also tried dropping to -O2 on both)

on both boxes, galeon seg faults upon submitting a form (every single time when searching these forums )

I was using 1.2.5 up until this morning with no crashes in living memory, and using flash with the linuxfromscratch gcc 3.2 hints. Now, having upgraded to mozilla 1.0.1 and galeon 1.2.6 thanks to the unmasking I too am having the form submit segfault almost every time. I'm currently posting this with mozilla 1.0.1 which seems very stable.

I never had this bug on any prior version of galeon, despite using exactly the same cflags. Also, removing all the plugins has no effect. I'll try using the vanilla cflags and see what happens.

Andrew
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had absolutely no problems with Mozilla 1.0r3/Galeon 1.2.5 then I updated to Mozilla 1.01/Galeon 1.2.6 and any page with a submit form button it seg faulted on me. I then tried upgrading Mozilla to 1.1 and re-emerged Galeon 1.2.6(after manually editing the ebuild file), still seg faulted on me. I finally went back to Mozilla 1.0r3/Galeon 1.2.5 and it's back to 95% of the original(ESPN still seg faults in the Fantasy Games section). BTW, during this whole process Mozilla was error free.
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm back with mozilla as galeon is now completely unusable. Shame - for the six months I was using it I couldn't imagine living with anything else...

I hope it's fixed soon.

Andrew :(
daniel_h
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: A MEEEE TOOO Reply with quote

I am also having probs with Galeon crashing on Form submits (and as far as I can tell, only form submits, and only some of them, it seems to be form submits that include check boxes, but I haven't done an exhaustive search). Here is my setup...

Gentoo 1.4rc something
GCC3.2
Mozilla 1.0.1
Galeon 1.2.5, 1.2.6, 1.2.5r?
I am trying not to install all of gnome or kde, so only the deps listed in galeon should be installed. As an aside I am a blackbox user...
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've said it before, but you all should seriously think about giving Phoenix (light-weight Mozilla - a Mozilla project) a try. Getting better every day (at 0.4 now). Now that I got Evolution to quit launching Galeon I'm all Phoenix :-)

It's also in the portage system (0.3) if you enable testing/experimental ebuilds with the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" option. It's trivial to change that ebuild to a 0.4 ebuild...

I know this is really a non-solution solution, but if you aren't 100% attached to Galeon it's a solution that was worked really well for a lot of people...
ealfert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say "ME TOO!!!"... galeon segfaults for me also...

Code:

[ebuild   R  ] net-www/galeon-1.2.6
[ebuild   R  ] net-www/mozilla-1.0.1-r2
[ebuild   R  ] sys-devel/gcc-3.2-r1
[ebuild   R  ] gnome-base/gnome-2.0.2-r2
[ebuild   R  ] media-libs/libflash-0.4.10-r1
[ebuild  N   ] net-www/gplflash-0.4.10-r1
[ebuild  N   ] net-www/netscape-flash-6.0b

but not always.... for instance, i'm using galeon now and i was able to post this message... in fact, it has never segfaulted on the "new post" webpage in this forum... BUT 70% of the time i do a search in https://forums.gentoo.org/search.php it segfaults... Actually.... that is 90% of the time i first open galeon and try the search page... it segfaults... i open galeon again... go to search page, and do the same search, and then only 10% of the time it segfaults... the other 90% of the second try SUCCEEDS... don't know what to make of this.... but just wanted to let y'all know my situation in case it sheds some light... actually, it probably confuses the issue even more... sorry...
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using galeon-cvs and it looks a lot more stable since the last time I emerged it (this week).
graadz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Galeon Seg faulting Reply with quote

This is probably one of the reasons that Galeon 1.2.6 crashes:

** CRITICAL **: file mozilla.cpp: line 134 (gboolean mozilla_preference_set(const char*, const char*)): assertion `new_value != NULL' failed.

See also:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/5085/2002/9/0/9672732/

G

mynameisjonas wrote:
i think this is a really serious galeon bug.

i have tested galeon ebuilds 1.2.5, 1.2.5rc1, 1.2.6 and galeon-cvs on two separate gentoo 1.4rc1 (gcc3.2) boxes,

Code:
1. march=athlon-tbird - fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -pipe
2. march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -pipe

(i have also tried dropping to -O2 on both)

on both boxes, galeon seg faults upon submitting a form (every single time when searching these forums )

i've also emerged gnome on both boxes (using flux currently) to see if galeon really does require some extra libs but alas, it makes no difference. i don't think this is a plugin problem because it happens when no plugins are made available to galeon/mozilla

has anyone submitted this as a bug yet?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Galeon Seg faulting Reply with quote

Or this
** (galeon-bin:7594): CRITICAL **: file mozilla-embed-shell.cpp: line 226 (void mozilla_load_proxy_prefs(MozillaEmbedShell*)): assertion `tmp != NULL' failed

graadz wrote:
This is probably one of the reasons that Galeon 1.2.6 crashes:

** CRITICAL **: file mozilla.cpp: line 134 (gboolean mozilla_preference_set(const char*, const char*)): assertion `new_value != NULL' failed.
raptor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: everyone : could u try this !? Reply with quote

I had the same crashes ?! Not sure but this is what happen :

When I got to the login page I disabled JavaScript (my Java is always disabled) .... entered name + password and logged...
Then the pop-up apeared "Encrypted do u want ..blah..blah... u know the message" I checked that I don't want it anymore...and SURPRISE ... i logged successfuly w/o CRASH ...

Then restarted galeon JavaScript enabled and no crash ?!!?! :")))
(log automaticaly was enabled when I logged)

Now going to try on anther forums and also on my Mandrake9 distro (it has the same problem !!)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Newbies.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:
I think I've said it before, but you all should seriously think about giving Phoenix...
I know this is really a non-solution solution, but if you aren't 100% attached to Galeon it's a solution that was worked really well for a lot of people...

Alot of people really like Galeon. I personally don't think phoenix compares to galeon yet( when galeon works ;) ).
Because they are both built off the same engine, I think that the only way either will win people's hearts is with features, and right now galeon wins.
Granted that phoenix doesn't crash as much, but being stuck using phoenix or moz rather than galeon really stinks. I miss galeon alot, hopefully it will get fixed soon.... :(
Galeon would have to be my favorite web browser that I have tried so far, maybe tied with lynx (only for functionality) cause X apps don't work too well without X ;)
raptor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Galeon on MDK9 no success.. Reply with quote

the same trick didn't worked under mandrake ...
And Galeon under Gentoo... crashes on search when I choose "all words"...

And yes now i'm binded to galeon and don't want other browser 'cause they don't have that features...

Only thing still missing in Galeon will be the ability to block images,url's etc based on regular expressions... ala JunkBuster...
I have sent a message with a proposal for this to Galeon ppl ..in the past but i didnt got answer :"(
ealfert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto...

give links a try as a replacement for lynx.

I find it displays webpages better (specially the ones with tables) and it has a menu when you press the ESC key that you can navigate with the ARROW keys and RETURN button.
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered another interesting interaction that seems to make galeon crash. Since I upgrade alsa-driver to alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc5, galeon crashes every few minutes if I'm running xmms. (I discovered this by running galeon under strace -- it freezes with a message saying it can't open /dev/sound/dsp because it's in use by another program.) If I don't run xmms, it's perfectly stable (galeon-1.2.6, mozilla-1.0.1-r2). I notice there's alsa-driver 0.9.0-rc6 is out there. I'll try emerging it and see if it helps.
ealfert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLUTION!!!

Galeon doesn't crash anymore!!!

ealfert-linux root # mozilla -v
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021227, build 2002122700
ealfert-linux root # galeon --version
Gnome galeon 1.2.7

I just emerged the mozilla/galeon (new versions available yesterday)..and indead it NO LONGER CRASHES!!!!

this solution was mentioned in http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67691

I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I love galeon..but that crashing on forms was a real pain in the ass...i had to resort to using vanilla mozilla whenever i needed to submit a form.... NO LONGER!!!

Galeon forever!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your USE flags?

ealfert wrote:
SOLUTION!!!

Galeon doesn't crash anymore!!!

ealfert-linux root # mozilla -v
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021227, build 2002122700
ealfert-linux root # galeon --version
Gnome galeon 1.2.7

I just emerged the mozilla/galeon (new versions available yesterday)..and indead it NO LONGER CRASHES!!!!

this solution was mentioned in http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67691

I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I love galeon..but that crashing on forms was a real pain in the ass...i had to resort to using vanilla mozilla whenever i needed to submit a form.... NO LONGER!!!

Galeon forever!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

ealfert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my settings will help you much, I like to throw in everything including the kitchen sink... I have a 40gb harddrive and like to install everything so that i can play with new stuff all the time. I don't put speed as a high priority... i put features at the top of the list.

CHOST='i686-pc-linux-gnu'
CFLAGS='-march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium3 -O3 -pipe'
CXXFLAGS='-march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium3 -O3 -pipe'
USE='x86 mmx -3dnow -sse -3dfx -voodoo3 -matrox apm pcmcia -nocardbus -wavelan pnp trusted -pda gphoto2 cdr scanner cups slp X dga opengl xv fbcon directfb kde qt qtmt arts gnome gtk -gtk2 bonobo evo gb gtkhtml motif tcltk aalib imlib ncurses readline sdl svga lcms gif jpeg png tiff gdlib libdg gd avi mpeg quicktime alsa esd mikmod -oss nas ggi dvd xmms oggvorbis flash encode -ipv6 snmp ggz pam ssl crypt -socks5 imap ldap maildir mbox tcpd xface mozilla -mozaccess-builtin mozctl mozirc mozxmlterm spell truetype xml xml2 pdflib plotutils tetex guile java perl python ruby slang libwww libg++ atlas pic -zeo berkdb mysql -postgres -oci8 odbc innodb gdbm -acl -afs samba nls doc gpm -cjk -canna -freewnn mule zlib'

ealfert-linux etc # gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/specs
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1/work/gcc-3.2.1/configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --enable-threads=posix --enable-long-long --disable-checking --enable-cstdio=stdio --enable-clocale=generic --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/g++-v32 --with-local-prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.1
Anubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from a nice and long vacation to my beautifully crashing galeon. Emerged the newest versions of moz and gal and bingo bango no more seg faulting here either. It really is quite beautiful to submit or click things and not think ok, is it gonna crash... don't get angry if it does, bloody 3*( *(@3 :wink: .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: