do you wish to start with a zero table message
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: do you wish to start with a zero table message Reply with quote

What does "do you wish to start with a zero table" mean? Is it going to format the mbr?

If it helps, I have one drive with XP (ntfs) on the primary partition, and 3 linux ext2 partitions after it.

Thanks for any help
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gives you that message? There's not enough information in your post to offer help.
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry
I boot off the cd and setup eth0, root pwd (new install)
I then type cfdisk and get a msg that I don't have permission to write to the disk.
After that I get the zero table message
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost_packet wrote:
I don't have permission to write to the disk

:?: Very strange.

Please post the output of:
Code:
# whoami
# ls -l /dev/hda

lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

whoami root

ls -l /dev/hda
lr-xr-xr-x  1 root  root  30 Dec 28 22:23 /dev/hda -> ide/host0/bu
s0/target0/lun0/cd
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're root, you ought to be able to access anything you darn well please. What drive are you trying to partition? What command are you using to do this?
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one 40Gb hdd. The first partition (30Gb) is NTSF and contains XP. After that I have a 100Mb primary ext2 partition, a 4.85Gb primary ext2, and a 4.5Gb primary ext2 partition. Obviously I need to keep the first in tact due to M$ XP, but I can do what ever with the rest. I have tried changing the last three partitions from ext2 to unformatted, logical drives, and even fat to see if it makes a difference, but i still get the same error.

The command I'm using is cfdisk. I have tried fdisk and get a similar error. I also tried cfdisk /dev/hda but it produces the same error.

I've dual booted win2k and various redhat and/or mandrake distros and never ran into this before.
markmm1975
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using cfdisk you must pass an argument to let the program know which disk you wish to work with i.e.
cfdisk /dev/hda

or

cfdisk /dev/hdc
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest trying a boot/install cd from another distro. I used to run into problems similar to yours and have found that Slackware's 8.0 install cd ALWAYS works when I use cfdisk, even when I just tried and got an error with another. Yeah, I know that it's not an elegant or guru-ish thing to do, but it always worked when others failed, so you should give it a try if your interested in solving the problem, although admittedly you won't learn what's causing it that way. I'm not specifically saying you should use slackware's cd either, I just mean to try a different version of cfdisk, really (although as I said that one always worked for me). BTW... markmm1975 - he/she just said above your post that she/he tried to cfdisk /dev/hda specifically, athough I'm pretty sure it will cfdisk hda by default when no argument is specified... ;)
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old Mandrake 7.0 cd so I tried to setup my partitions from it. It appears that it couldn't detect the drive. This is starting to look like it all stems from my onboard raid controller (Abit kt7a) not allowing the drive to be detected properly. I feel like an idiot for spacing raid support in the install guide.

I tried to add support for the highpoint controller by using the code below (after logging into root)
Code:
insmod hptraid

but it said that no device could be found. I tried insmod ataraid and it looked like it rn ok, but when I still got the permission error when running cfdisk.

I guess I could use one of the regular ide controllers (if free) and see what happens.
Woland
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it helps, I have one drive with XP (ntfs) on the primary partition, and 3 linux ext2 partitions after it.

Maybe I am simply restating the obvious, but I do belive that if you are successfull running cfdisk or fdisk on this drive, you will hose your XP partition, and everything on it. This maybe what you want, it certainly is what I would want. :)

Have you tried to mount/format your existing partitions? If you were happy with their layout before, you might be so again. It is possible that XP did something weird to your MBR, which is what is causing these errors.

The last time I had a dual partion machene was a 486DX2 running Win95 and Red Hat 2.? (it was a while ago) I remeber that windows did such strange things to my hard drive, I had to fix it by writng to the MBR directly using DOS EDLIN. (Something which I now realize I blisfully forgot how to do entirely) If Win95 could do that, I shudder to think of what WinXP is capable.

Of course, I have not had much experiance with Windows after that, so this may be just smoke. Are you using whatever bootloader comes with XP? Is that how you used to get into your old Linux system?
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe I am simply restating the obvious, but I do belive that if you are successfull running cfdisk or fdisk on this drive, you will hose your XP partition, and everything on it. This maybe what you want, it certainly is what I would want.

Hmm,why do you say that? I've have no problems inthe past, in fact almost any Linux partition tool seems to do a btter job than partition mangler or M$ tools.

I will try to mount one of the other partitions when I get off work.

lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no go on both issues. :(

I swapped the ide from the raid controller to a normal one and it still said I didn't have permission to write to the drive....so that rules out the highpoint controller being a factor.

I also tried to mount the existing partitions and got a message that they couldn't be found in two sub-directories of /etc/

Any other ideas other than just answering yes to "do you wish to start with a zero table" and see what happens?

EDIT-forgot to mention that I tried disabling DMA as noted in another post...no go.
Tiber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use partition magic.

This is an XP game that they play with you (possibly only when upgrading, it doesn't seem to bite a lot of people -- did you upgrade from Win2k at some point?). When I installed Gentoo and then upgraded to XP, it re-arranged all my partitions. I'm not kidding. The data wasn't physically moved, but the partition IDs were all changed and all the meta information was hosed.

I'm sorta suprised you haven't gotten a bad magic error from cfdisk. Usually at the top of the screen it says (from memory): "BAD MAGIC: Disk has both XXXX and YYYY magic." You mostly see it if you used a BSD partitioning utility on the drive and then try to use a Linux utility ("Disk has both BSD and Linux magic"). I'm pretty sure it threw something similar before I sorted out the partition mess XP made.

If you feel like taking the easy way out, grab yourself a copy of Partition Magic from http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/. The hard way out is to hose the MBR (and possibly the disk itself) so you start with reasonably sane meta information. Partition Magic is also nondestructive whereas cfdisk is plenty destructive when it thinks it's "fixing" something. Partition Magic also makes boot disks, which are really nice for when you totally hose up your FS. ;-)

Current project machine: Alpha 433A (433mhz EV56)
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you upgrade from Win2k at some point?[u]
nope, I always do a fresh install to avoid problems

[i]The hard way out is to hose the MBR (and possibly the disk itself) so you start with reasonably sane meta information.

On a Windows box, formatting the mbr is pretty safe and easy to recover from if anything goes wrong. We were kind of thinking along the same lines, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it until today. I formatted the mbr and then booted back into gentoo......when we ran cfdisk I got the same error about not having permission to write to the disk, then it went into do you want to start with a zero table. I answered no and it listed the drive as only 128Mb. strange

I have tried making all my linux partitions using partition magic 8.0, leaving the XP NTFS alone. No matter if I make them ext2, fat, or unformatted it still produces the same no permission error.

I don't really know what to do from here except backup all my data and try formatting the drive, but that's a time consuming pain in the ass to say the least.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. If anyone has some crazy ideas, throw them out, I'll try almost anything. (just don't tell me to stand on one leg and cluck like a chicken during boot :D)
Tiber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, it's obvious Saturn is ascending into your house and causing much turmoil.

At least, that's what the fortune cookie at lunch said, I figured I'd pass it along and hope you got something out of it.

Oh, it also said that if it's a maxtor drive and has or had been configured with the MAXBLAST program, you'll encounter the 128mb thing. :-) I still say you should grab a copy of partition magic.

Current project machine: Alpha 433A (433mhz EV56)
lost_packet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it also said that if it's a maxtor drive and has or had been configured with the MAXBLAST program, you'll encounter the 128mb thing
woohoo magic fortune cookie readings!
The drive is an IBM Deskstar and it was originally formatted with a standard win98 boot disk, then ntfs during the XP install.

I've got a copy of PM 8.0. I wonder if just resizing the main partition will fix some strange error, or whatever is giving me problems, or I have to completly format and start over.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: