None of the above -- keep the existing look and feel
3%
 3%  [ 118 ]
Total Votes : 3147

Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote was between Aeron and Iris but I went Iris. It just seemed to have a more community feel as apposed to Aeron which seemed more corporate feel. Both looked very nice though.
khiloa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the gentoo wiki site's design.. I'm not sure which of the official contestants I like most yet..
smiley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amiatrome wrote:
If there is no rush to select a winning entry, can there be a second round so that the top 2 submitters can have a chance to make further improvements/corrections to their designs based on our feedback?

By having a chance to take our views into consideration, they would be able to come up with revised designs that are at their BEST.

And the final design that we choose would definitely be the best and most well-suited for us. :wink:

(don't flame me guys, just felt that we shouldnt base such an important decision on v1.0 "software")

Actually, I think that's a great idea. However, I would give all of the finalists the oportunity to revise their design instead of just the top two.

smiley 8)
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles-Andre:
I like the bottom part of gentech, but the top part of gencorp. If you could combine them, I think that would be my favorite theme of those choices.

[edit] I hate to sound mean, but after voting I see that Aaron Shi's is the top choice. Frankly I think it's not very good looking, I'll try to offer some constructive criticism.

In this picture, moving downwards...
http://www.gentoo.org/images/wwwcontest/contest1_handbook.png
there are too many shadows all over the place, it looks very dated. There's also gradients to go along with the shadows, it reminds me of a site from the mid-1990's. The top bar is way too large, with wasted space, the dark purple + light purple + green color scheme doesn't look right to me, it's too contrasty. Plus, there's about 5 seperate colors on the top bar, it's just way too much. The dashes under "Docs" "User Docs" and "Gentoo Handbook" are superfluous. Again, shadows on the bottom bar don't make sense.

In this picture,
http://www.gentoo.org/images/wwwcontest/contest1_front.png
Here the dashes underneath the "Documentation" et. al. categories kind of make sense. I like that there's less shadows in the top bar, but really there should be none. The "High Performance Computing" graphic is huge, and now introduces Pink, on top of 5 other colors, bringing the total up to 6 colors up top... just way too much. What's with the "Performance", "Versatility", "Community"? Why are there arrows to delineate selection? There seems to be about 3 or 4 different ways of representing selection in this theme (underline, bold, horizontal arrow, vertical arrow), it seems confusing.

Again, I'm not trying to sound mean, but I really think this theme needs work if it is chosen to represent the entire Gentoo project.

[edit] [edit] I just noticed that it has a new logo with an infinity sign in it. This logo has nothing to do with the Gentoo project, it's totally made up. Please use actual Gentoo artwork :P

/me still can't believe this is leading the polls.

Last edited by aethyr on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucero del Alba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: to green or no to green... Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Emiliano, I've submitted the "Iris on Mirror" design some days ago and now that I'm seeing our design here I must confess I'm extremely touched, so excited about this :D :D :D

I do think all designs are great, congratulations to everyone!!

Personally, I would voted for Iris if it wasn't that green :P ... No, seriously, I kinda like the the green stuff, although -as I said earlier at this thread- it wouldn't be a big deal going over a purple color scheme eventually, if asked for it by Gentoo developers.

Thank you everyone very much for all of your comments ( specially Tom ;) ). Whatever your final choice is, have a Happy Voting!
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elektrohirn wrote:
All designs look very professional, but I don't like those pictures that make the site look like a company's website. Gentoo.org is a community site, not a company.
I agree and I voted for Iris.
Sphynxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentech, by far, was my favorite.
r.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY VOTE IS FOR IRISONMIRROR

IRISONMIRROR IS THE BEST

R.COM
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.com wrote:

IRISONMIRROR IS THE BEST

R.COM

Please ease up on the Caps...
r3zzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
Vote was between Aeron and Iris but I went Iris. It just seemed to have a more community feel as apposed to Aeron which seemed more corporate feel. Both looked very nice though.
I second that.

Iris on Mirror++
Registered Linux User #349180
Gentoo Linux ::
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.com wrote:

IRISONMIRROR IS THE BEST

R.COM

Hmm. r.com's first post on the forums? I smell something fishy, and it aint fish.
marienZ
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one problem with "Iris on mirror" that doesn't seem to be mentioned yet (only skimmed this topic though): the main text is very light. There's not a lot of contrast between the white background and the blue-ish text. At least on my monitor, this makes it very hard to read. If it would use black or almost-black text, I think this design would be my favorite.
Doc7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted for Aaron Shi's design, although all of 'em are welldone.

i especially like the navigation bars on top instead of staying left. (more room and better usability in links)
slikdigit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the designs are well done, however, with the exception of Iris On Mirror, they all have a corporate feel:
Derek Gerstmann's looks a lot like the Apple website (buy buy buy)
and the first three have heavy use of marketing/add styles( Lots of "!" wow type words/ sloganeering) and/or lots of clipart.
kumar303
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: vote for iris on mirror Reply with quote

come on people, this is Linux. While the Aaron Shi design has some nice elements and high attention paid to detail, the Iris On Mirror is a cleaner, simpler look that will work very well for Gentoo. The Aaron Shi one is following a current "corporate" trend which is already very stale. Just take a look at the new OsCommerce site which launched about a month or two ago: http://oscommerce.com/ . My vote is with Iris On Mirror.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marienZ wrote:
I have one problem with "Iris on mirror" that doesn't seem to be mentioned yet (only skimmed this topic though): the main text is very light. There's not a lot of contrast between the white background and the blue-ish text. At least on my monitor, this makes it very hard to read. If it would use black or almost-black text, I think this design would be my favorite.

hmmm easy to read for me on my monitor. oh well if it is a problem that can easily be changed :)
ssbilly5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like most everyone my vote was between Iris on Mirror and Aaron Shi. But I decided on Aaron Shi's design only because Iris on Mirror didn't reorganzie the left side bar very well, and that is something that really bugs me about the current site. Personally I love the green color too, and after I considered it might be turned to purple and saw a mockup of that on page one I decided Aaron Shi had the better design.

Anyways I think the design could be a little better, on the main page the main image is huge! I'd like to see it shrunk a little. Also on the other page a lot of space is wasted for headings like Documentation. I think this could be made a bit smaller as well.

But overall we're a pretty lucky community to have such nice entries from everyone to choose from :)

Thanks guys

John
chiatello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted to keep the existing look

i like all of the entries, but they have too many graphics for my taste

the simpler the better imo(speed isnt the only reason)
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the derek one got my vote, but id like iris on mirror if they got rid of the left bar.
geforce 6600gt
erwan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Iris on mirror - Aaron Shi is very nice but definately too "corporate" like.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles-Andre Landemaine - gentech = best design by far
Halanegri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these designs offer the simplicity of the current one(low on graphics, sharp, and to the point), which is what makes it so easy to use/look at. These all remind me of some megacorp websites(definately not fitting the Gentoo Foundation)

I vote for the current one. ;)

2nd place goes to Iris on Mirror(with the purple color scheme ofcourse) for not having tons of graphics.
KingPunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amiatrome wrote:
If there is no rush to select a winning entry, can there be a second round so that the top 2 submitters can have a chance to make further improvements/corrections to their designs based on our feedback?

By having a chance to take our views into consideration, they would be able to come up with revised designs that are at their BEST.

And the final design that we choose would definitely be the best and most well-suited for us. :wink:

(don't flame me guys, just felt that we shouldnt base such an important decision on v1.0 "software")

i agree. maybe like a live beta on a moc-site, to see how it feels first hand!
thats really where the money is. ;)
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
I just noticed that it has a new logo with an infinity sign in it. This logo has nothing to do with the Gentoo project, it's totally made up. Please use actual Gentoo artwork :P

Ditto on that. Actually I'm surprised none of the entries used the old Gentoo lettering (the red letters that match the Gentoo "G"). But the infinity sign definitely needs to be dropped.

Having said that, I did vote for Aaron Shi. I would shrink the size of the "High Performance Computing" area, and add more space for the "What's New?" section.
hayt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I was inclined towrds voting for Aaron Shi design but reading the postings made me vote for iris because of the community feel.

All designs are good and choice was hard.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: