1.4 rc1 on a Dell PowerEdge 2650
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viking_es
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: 1.4 rc1 on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 Reply with quote

On a Dell PowerEdge 2650, the install fails during the scsi card detection part when it's loading the kernel from the LiveCD. This server is equiped with an Adaptec Perc3/Di RAID controller and the funny thing is, the controller actually gets detected (I think...) by the kernel during the initial boot of the LiveCD iso but it's still unable to continue to boot the CD, as if it can't find the proper driver for the controller. I don't even get to a "Kernel Panic" error... it just freezes completely. I do know that a driver exists for this controller because Dell has one available from it's web site but it's for RedHat distribs (yuck!). Is there any way I could use this driver during Gentoo's installation procedure?

Any help on this would be appreciated, I'd LOVE to be able to get Gentoo running on this new server... And I WILL NOT install RedHat and this new box :wink:

TIA
Belthezar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer any help, but I can confirm that I have the exact same problem :(

Just got my new server in today and wanted to get Gentoo going. If you were able to get anywhere with it, please post back!
ledskof
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for others' references:
Boot off 1.2 Live CD. It will find the PERC3 just fine.

I booted of 1.2 and it found the controller, and I'm just going to go with the latest version of the stages. I've booted 1.2 and installed latest stages for most of my gentoo installs bceause of all the problems I've had with 1.4rc1 Live CD.

Tanget Topic:
Grub:
A friend of mined used 1.2 just because grub wasn't working right for him.
If you are considering that also, just install off 1.4rc1 and when you are all done, if your system can't boot grub automatically, just enter the stuff manually one more time and emerge grub. It has worked for me so far.
----

Hopefully I won't forget to post my results with the 1.4 release.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: