View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Just started using linux on my desktop box Reply with quote

now I'v been using linux for years, as I'v thought for a long time that the desktop area was missing something, now I finally got time to put some work into making my main box linux. Was looking over distro's and installed gentoo (basicly, becouse I wanted to try a source based distro, and a friend of mine that loves lunar wasn't there, so I thought, hah, since he's not here I'm trying gentoo :p )

Anyway, some things I'm looking for some info on.

Irc clients, are there any good ones? I'v been looking over a few, x-chat & bitchx, both too ugly for me atm (normaly I just use console, when I am gonna run X it better be pretty ;) ), tried kvirc, gah.. didn't quite like the feel of that one either (quite possible that I'm just too lazy to configure it to my liking though ;) ).

Also, any way of default setting emerge to do compiles on low priorty? As I'd love to listen to music and do some surfing / chatting while I compile :)
Rylan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xchat uses the gtk widget set, you can try different themes for gtk and xchat should pick up on it.

Perhaps that would help you?
garbageiscool2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have aliased n19 to do the command nice --adjustment=19 this will put something on the lowest priority so i can do n19 emerge foo-bar and won't feel it at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garbageiscool2, wouldn't that only lower the priority of emerge, and not the gcc emerge runs?

*will defenatly try*, thx for the tip.

Rylan, I still hate it, lol, gonna see if I can't cook up something I think is nicer for myself, it'll be a project for the future though, atm I'll just run my crap in wine ;)
garbageiscool2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it will change the priority of all procs that emerge starts so everything that it does will be on lowest priority
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: