View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here I am... Ready to start my first Gentoo installation. I bought a laptop for cheap in order to experiment (It's too much hassle right now to install Gentoo on either of my desktops. I would have to move my keyboard & monotir around, so laptop is perfect). I get the Live-CD, boot the laptop and begin installation... Only to find out that PCMCIA is not supported!!!! That's just great :evil:!!! So I guess I then have to download the even older image, burn yet another CD and start all over again.

How on earth did 1.4_RC1 get released with no PCMCIA??? I'm pretty pissed right about now. I was hoping to at least get started on the installation today, but it seems that that is not to happen....

EDIT: I'm OK now. Just needed to vent a bit, sorry. I downloaded the 1.2 iso and started my installation using it. So far so good *knocks on wood* :)
Lactic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note I do not intend this to be snide, but it is LiveCD 1.4_RC1, meaning Release Candidate. It is essentially still beta. Best of luck to you though.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lactic wrote:
Please note I do not intend this to be snide, but it is LiveCD 1.4_RC1, meaning Release Candidate. It is essentially still beta. Best of luck to you though.

Well, Release Candidate strictly speaking means that "We think that this version is good enough for the actual release, but we'll first see what the users think". Release Candidate is "a candidate for the actual release". It is not really a beta.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above post is right. RC means "this is pretty much it, let us fix bugs that are reported on it and we're good to go." That's why I find it strange that a RC1 has been in testing so long... the lack of PCMCIA support is not a "bug", as if it won't fit on the CD or something, it is a missing feature. You usually don't add such a huge feature, like laptop support, in an already released RC1. If they do plan on adding laptop support, which I hope they will, as they should, then the current 1.4 should really be labled 'beta' and not 'release candidate', as it's confusing the crap out of me and a lot of other people. Either that, or just stick the 1.2 PCMCIA support in there and lets get rolling =)

As of right now my laptop has an inefficient ugly proprietary OS on it... trying to remedy that situation as soon as possible...
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Does the new release candidite not fix this problem?

I went ahead and installed Debian on my laptop because of this (The Knoppix Debian installer is great! :) Don't worry my desktop runs only Gentoo ;) )

Not having PCMCIA support on the installation disc is IMO a bug. Are the devs aware of this. (Surly one of them must own a laptop...) Has anyone filed a bug report?

Mabey we should start a collection so we gan give drobbins a laptop? I imagine that would fix the problem fairly quickly :D
Blind0wl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to install 1.4 on my laptop using the above installation guide to get pcmcia working, but now I have my system up and booting it doesnt know where pcmcia for net-eth0 is anymore....How to I get the pcmcia modules over to my new 1.4 install?
irony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through a combination of this thread and this one (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26716) I managed to get 1.4 up and running on my laptop. BlindOwl, did you do all the necessary rc-updates? The pcmcia modules should be either generated by your kernel (if you went that route) or set up by emerging pcmcia-cs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: