samba + cups + printer = ???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
contigab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: samba + cups + printer = ??? Reply with quote

Hi, I have built for my personal use a small server based on Gentoo Linux. That server runs samba, which acts as a domain server for a pc that hosts Windows 2000 professional. And cups so that this pc acts also as print server. The problem is that when I try to install the printer under Windows 2000, it comes out with a window that says something like "the server doesn't have the drivers installed, you must install them locally" then i don't know what to do because if i try to install the drivers from the cd i got with my printer (i have an epson c62) window$ says they are not the right drivers. I also tried to follow the documentation and i installed the drivers cups windows drivers for samba and i got installed in /var/lib/samba/printers/W32X86/2 some files (a couple of .DLL and a .PPD file). The printer still doesn't work. Does anyone has an idea about what can I do to make the printer working?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Printing Guide help you?

BTW, have you searched for "cups and samba" using the search feature? I am sure you'll find several threads about it.
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: samba + cups + printer = ??? Reply with quote

contigab wrote:
I also tried to follow the documentation and i installed the drivers cups windows drivers for samba and i got installed in /var/lib/samba/printers/W32X86/2 some files (a couple of .DLL and a .PPD file). The printer still doesn't work. Does anyone has an idea about what can I do to make the printer working?

First I do not have any cups drivers in there /var/lib/samba/printers/W32X86/ But I did have a problem linking my printer, and I won the battle. I have windows 98 and not windows 2000 so maybe the problem is different but.

[1] is your /etc/samba/smb.conf file set up for printers
    [2] does the rest of your sharing work between the two computers?
    [3] most important can you see the printer ICON along with your shares folders in the network from the windows computer ?

Let me know the answers to these three questions above. :)
contigab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry, i forgot to include my smb.conf file in my previous post. It is set up correctly since i wrote it by myself (i don't like these tools that make everything automatic and automatically wrong...).
But i found a new guide that explained me better how to manage that and finally yesterday night i got my printer working.
Basically it didn't work because:

1) in smb.conf printer share has to be called print$ and not printer$
this because (as i read) windows 2000 needs exactly this name

2) i didn't have the right privileges
i must log into windows 2000 as root and gain access to my domain. Connecting like a local administrator doesn't work because i will not have the right privileges to modify my drivers

After doing this, i went on
local network -> view the whole network -> .... -> server
and then to printers -> epson c62 -> properties
and in the 2nd or 3rd tab i had the button "change drivers" ready to be clicked. I hope my experience will be useful also to someone else...
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2) i didn't have the right privileges
i must log into windows 2000 as root and gain access to my domain. Connecting like a local administrator doesn't work because i will not have the right privileges to modify my drivers

My workaround was simpler and somewhat contrary to yours. Because of a Samba limitation you are indeed recommended to install the printer as a local user just as it says. I already had /etc/samba/smbusers aliasing the name administrator to root. I ensured that the local administrator account on my Win2K workstation had the same password as the domain root/administator account. Note: if you log on as administrator locally on a workstation and the password matches the domain administrator's password then you will have full administrator priveleges on the domain, believe it or not.

I then logged on as administrator locally on the workstation, added the printer and exited. I didn't have to do anything more than that.

The limitation is probably something to do with Samba's RPC support. I found a great USENET post on it so I'll try to remember and dig that out if I can.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: