Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Openboot / SILO help! What flavour for Ultra 60...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Openboot / SILO help! What flavour for Ultra 60... Reply with quote

Just ebayed and upgraded my Ultra 1 to an Ultra 60 :)

Looked at Suns web site and partitioned my 9Gb disk as follows:

/dev/sda1 Sun root
/dev/sda2 Sun swap
/dev/sda3 Whole disk
/dev/sda4 Sun home
/dev/sda7 Linux swap
/dev/sda8 Linux root

The idea to use openboot to boot image on /sda8

First tried Debian, installed OK, went to SILO and put the root and boot as /dev/sda8. This failed to boot when I changed openboot to @disk0,0:h

'This file is not executable' etc etc

OK, tried Gentoo next, went for stage 3, surprised that needed to compile a kernel with this quickest of installs, thought there would be a base image, but anyway did it all, wrote SILO again, and had same results.

Downloaded Splack next....

Installed OK, in fact very slick, but when come to SILO did not give me the option where the boot was so it stuck SILO on @disk0,0:a. The root was correct in silo.conf i.e. /dev/sda8 but when I typed in 'Linux' it said it couldnt find /vmlinux. When I used openboot to boot from /dev/sda8 it come up with the same 'File not executable'.

Scratched head a bit and searched the net, appears to be problem with Openboot 2.3, but I am using 3.1 so shouldnt affect me.

So started to download Mandrake...

In all honesty want to use Gentoo as it seems to be the most up to date and supported, but I cant see where I am going wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Mark
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, obviously I am trying to dual boot solaris and gentoo on a 9Gb disk.

I could though put in a 4Gb and install solaris to that. Would that be easier or do I have a different problem?
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

I have managed to get both debian and splack to boot installing the root on partition 1, instead of 8. Couldnt get x up with debian, but managed it with splack, though didnt have the right keyboard type so not much use really!

So my next question is, with Sparcs is a certain partition labeled as the boot one? Is that why I am having no luck in openboot when pointing to partion 8 (disk@0,0:h)?

I will try again with Gentoo, just need some time to sit down and compile the kernel again .... :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: