Gentoo evangelism...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Gentoo evangelism... Reply with quote

I'm responsible for the systems adminstration and general planning of a rather large commerce website. I've promoting Linux very generously whenever possible (I'm tired of Windows problems), and I've made some headway.

So far, here's what I've accomplished:

Converting an entire web development team from Windows 2000 pro to dual-processor Linux workstations with VMWare.

Abolishing SourceSafe and in it's place using CVS on a Linux server.

Converting a proprietary compiling/push tool to Perl/PHP.

Moved the development away from ASP/DCOM to EJB/Java

However, after all the sucesses with Linux and more open technologies I've run into a brick wall. The corporate-owned datacenter where our website is run out of does not allow "untested" operating systems under it's roof, and they haven't even begun--nor have an intention to--look at Linux.

My question is this: What kind of approaches have people tried to "sell" Linux to a large datacenter (especially Gentoo)?

I've got the corporate execs sold on the idea, but the "techy" people don't get it...and take the attitude that if you want quality, it must be paid for.

I'm open for any suggestions!
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo evangelism... Reply with quote

brain wrote:

I've got the corporate execs sold on the idea, but the "techy" people don't get it...and take the attitude that if you want quality, it must be paid for.

Fire the "techy's" :D
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo evangelism... Reply with quote

brain wrote:
My question is this: What kind of approaches have people tried to "sell" Linux to a large datacenter (especially Gentoo)?

I'm open for any suggestions!

This is an uphill battle but in the long run you can't loose. I've already started switching many of my clients and one of the best ways to do this is showing them articles and test cases.

Show it to the execs and not to the techies. If you convince the execs they'll pressure the techies hard enough.

Example of aritcles:

Tell them that the most sucessfull search engine (Google) with on of the largest database on earth (I guess) is using one of the largest linux clusters in the world. to qoute from their company profile

From the beginning, Google's developers recognized that providing the fastest, most accurate results required a new kind of server setup. Whereas most search engines ran off a handful of large servers that often slowed under peak loads, Google employed thousands of linked PCs - one of the world's largest Linux clusters - to quickly find each query's answer. The innovation paid off in faster response times, greater scalability and lower costs. It's an idea that others have since copied, while Google has continued to refine its back-end technology to make it even more efficient.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo evangelism... Reply with quote

Congrats on the accomplishments.
brain wrote:
... I've got the corporate execs sold on the idea, but the "techy" people don't get it...and take the attitude that if you want quality, it must be paid for.
Is this a first? I have never heard of execs being sold before techies. 1 question... are the "techies" just certified MS robots? IMO a techie is only good if they are open minded about solutions. I hate MS, but I can't say that I would never recommend their environment. If the techies are just blind MS certified people, you'll probably never win. What is your job in relation to the other techs? If you are under them/some of them, that could be problematic. If you are equal to, or above them, that makes it easier. If you've really sold the execs, have they endorsed an implementation plan? Who would be in charge of implementing said plan? Basicly, get the execs to do some exec'ing :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo evangelism... Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:

Tell them that the most sucessfull search engine (Google) with on of the largest database on earth (I guess) is using one of the largest linux clusters in the world. to qoute from their company profile
[/i]

Google's db is BY FAR not the biggest.
The largest database (stores geographical data) on Earth is managed by Microsoft SQL ;)
I think the 10 largest are not Linux and run MS SQL or Oracle or DB2.
I think even the transaction dbs from VISA or American Express are more than one magnitude bigger than Google's DB.

I don't have a pointer handy but I am sure you'll find one on MS SQL website.
tsuru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you can enlist the help of IBM and their $1 Billllllion Linux marketing initiative....

surely they can attest that Linux is tested...
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Google's db is BY FAR not the biggest.
The largest database (stores geographical data) on Earth is managed by Microsoft SQL

You would be talking "large" by size not by ammount of database entries.

What's more impressive?

Google which allows you to access and search 3 Billion web documents (http://www.google.ca/press/pressrel/3billion.html) or Microsofts Terraserver which stores satellite image data of the US (http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/default.asp) ?

Personally I find Google to be _far_ more impressive.

Even if other databases are the size of Google, they're for the most part simply adding to an existing database where Google is dynamic and their entire database for the most part is changing.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo evangelism... Reply with quote

brain wrote:

You question (and story), sounds ideal for Ask Slashdot. :) Take a peek at past questions: http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/

I'm sure you will get alot of good answers there, question seems like it is well fitting. Make sure and include a "... with Gentoo Linux I've ...". With the little comment about using Gentoo Linux, I'm sure we will get (at least) another couple hundred users.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: