Gentoo Webdesign Contest. Locked, and other moved to dups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Gentoo Webdesign Contest. Locked, and other moved to dups Reply with quote

How are we supposed to get any information about this?

Point 1:
The origianl thread, Gentoo Foundation Web Site Redesign Contest, was locked with no prior warning. That's OK though as long as you allow other threads to take up the subject and ask questions about the contest.

Point 2:
The followup thread, What has happen to the contest?, was moved to Dups, probably because pjp didn´t want the discussion up again and turning into a troll. OK, but could you at least answer the points made in that thread?

Point 3:
The five finalists has been contacted about their continued willingness to participate. They have obviously not done so in over a months time. Are we still waiting for them? Or has something else hapened. My opinion is that if they have not answered by now they probably will not and should be disqualified so another can take his/her place and the competition can move on.

Point 4:
Yes, the present site is OK, it works. But the contest was made for a reason and I think we should follow through. Stop with the half made projects and follow them through.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a second duplicate.

pjp: advise
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
This is a second duplicate.

pjp: advise

Are you saying that a subject that is not trollish, as in about something the Gentoo works with, cannot be debated or new threads started about it if you have decided no talk wil be about this?

You have locked the thread that was supposed to contain this discussion. When we ask about the subject, that gets moved to dups and hence cannot be continued.

What is this about???
brokendemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes right. You guys have competely avoided giving any kind of real, solid info about the redesign status. That would be fine, except a lot of people spent a lot of time on this and would like to know whats going on.

All that has been said is that the designers have been contacted. Thats it. And that was a month and a half ago. I refuse to believe that you guys dont have any more info then that.

If you want to start a contest, that cool, but respect the people that enter it enough to treat their concerns and questions seriously.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked, and heard that it MAY be time to vote. I'll see if I can't get an update about the 5 finalists.
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I've asked, and heard that it MAY be time to vote. I'll see if I can't get an update about the 5 finalists.

Thank you, I apreciate your effort.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vote is now posted in Gentoo Chat. Please remember that Gentoo is made up of volunteers and so things often take a bit longer than you might like. It also means that we aren't always able to communicate as much as you might like as well.

Those are simply two of the less-appealing things about volunteer-run organizations. You can either live with that, do something about it (like, volunteer *your* time to improve the lines of communication) or purchase a license from one of the commercial linux vendors.

--kurt
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. But the channels of volunteering is not all that clear.

I for one is prepared to volunteer my time on smaller projects with a fixed timeline. Not an never ending one since I do not have the continous time to commit to that kind of timeline.

But for a project raging over a few months I´d be happy to help out.

So, where do I offer my services, or at least my avaliabillity to help with projects like this?

I am not a good enough programmer to help out in your programming oriented tasks. I don't have Gentoo installed at the moment since I needed the space and due to work I have to use Windows specific progs if I want no hassle, and with workstuff, I don't want hassle. I can help out in documentation, but I don't agree with your structure there, and I think that would be something negative in helping out then.

I consider myself a good organizer and I can set up pretty good organasations that is scalable if that is one of the objectives.

I'm willing to contribute, but the openings you advertise is in areas where I have no expertise and so I cannot apply for them.

If you are interested in my help in an area, or want my opinion about why I think the documentetion is less than great, or how i would like temporary projects like this to be maintained, feel free to give me a holler. But do not bust my balls for not helping out. Your projects are programmatically out of my legue, and when I had a Gentoo system I helped out in the forum. I still like Gentoo and so I hang around still. Watching the progress and hoping to get time and space to install again.

Edit:
Saw this on the Contest page:
Quote:
Also, our sincere and abject apologies for the delays in announcing the finalists. Two senior developers both managed to drop the ball, and we apologize to all of the people who have been waiting and wondering about their entries.

It would also have been a nice explanation to have had when we first started asking about this. A lot better than simply closing threads and turn it all into hush hush. We do apreciate your work. And we do understand delays and people dropping the ball. All that we can live with. But closing threads to aviod the subject isn't exacly in line with the apology that you gave on the contestpage, now is it? We waited. We wondered. And we got the "If you don't like it do it yourself" thrown in our faces.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: